I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Intel 6700 duo-core (2.66Mhz), 2GB RAM computer, driving an Nvidia 7950 GX2 SLI video card.I get pretty poor FPS results with FSX and am now thinking of upgrading to a new video card.I've researched the Tom's Hardware site, and the 8800GTX or 9800 range are 'top of the list' as far as FSX is concerned. (My current card is way, way down the list.....)However, I'm not sure that the power supply in my Dell is beefy enough to handle it and it seems that changing the power supply on the Dell isn't an option due to Dell's configuration of plugs and wires being unique to their machines (i.e. not 'generic'.)Has anyone tried this combination with success, or do you have any suggestions for a replacement video card that will perform much better than the current one?Thanks for any help.

Indeed, your PSU (375W) is not powerful enough. The problem I have encountered with installing a stronger PSU is that they require more room. Your case looks like there is plenty of room. I can't believe that Dell uses non stock connectors. And a 9800 card is certianly not top of the line for FSX. Your rig, as it is, should run FSX with moderate settings, just fine. A new card will help, but maybe not as much as you would like. Think about bumping that 6700 over 3 GHz.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

If your PSU can power a dual-GPU 7950GX2, it can power a 9800GTX/+/GTS250 without issue. Dell's PSUs are under-rated. I have a 305W PSU in my spare computer (Dimension 4700) powering an upgraded CPU (P4 3.0 -> 3.4), upgraded RAM (512MB -> 3.0GB) and an upgraded video card (X300SE -> 8800 GT) with no problem. Dual 17A +12V rails tend to be enough to power all but the most power-hungry multi-GPU multi-core O/C'd rigs.

Agreed, if Toni's rig has two cards in it. I don't think so, by looking up the specs on it.Bob

Bob

Agreed, if Toni's rig has two cards in it. I don't think so, by looking up the specs on it.Bob
Hi Bob.I'm not quite sure what you mean here - the 7950 GX2 is 2 cards 'piggybacked' into one slot.Is that what you mean by '2 cards'?Also, in your earlier reply, you suggested 'bumping' the CPU up. Do you mean overclocking the system? If so, how?Or do you suggest buying a faster CPU?Thanks for your help!Toni.

Your system is not overclock-able without a custom BIOS. The fastest CPU your system supports will be either a dual or quad core 6xxx series chip at 3GHz. This could be either an E6800/E6850 on the dual side or a Q6800/Q6850 on the quad side. IIRC the 50 chips had a higher FSB which your system may not support, so best to stick with the original 6xxx series chips unless you can get confirmation from Dell. You may want to visit a Dell support forum and post your question there.

ToniWell, I misunderstood about your card. Techguy is correct. Most stock MB are not OC'able. Although ,I was supprised last month when I bought a lowend MB for my daughters computer, that I could OC it. The same MB that I bought a year ago, I could not. I don't know how much you want to get into changing your computer. It is fun and educational, and not difficult. But you do have to get the correct parts. People have spent alot of money trying to get FS to run. I have run FSX on a system like yours: e6750, 2gb 667 ram, 7900gt 256 card, with high settings. When I got a MB on which I could OC the 6750 to 3.2ghz and added an 8800gt, well , then things really started to fly.Bob

Bob

ToniWell, I misunderstood about your card. Techguy is correct. Most stock MB are not OC'able. Although ,I was supprised last month when I bought a lowend MB for my daughters computer, that I could OC it. The same MB that I bought a year ago, I could not. I don't know how much you want to get into changing your computer. It is fun and educational, and not difficult. But you do have to get the correct parts. People have spent alot of money trying to get FS to run. I have run FSX on a system like yours: e6750, 2gb 667 ram, 7900gt 256 card, with high settings. When I got a MB on which I could OC the 6750 to 3.2ghz and added an 8800gt, well , then things really started to fly.Bob
Thanks for all your help guys!It looks like I'll have to consider building a new computer because of the restrictions 'imposed' on me by Dell....I guess I can still use my DDR2 RAM (2 GIG), hard drives and cd/dvd writer, so all I'll need is a new box, powerful PSU, Mobo (with interated sound and broadband connectivity), CPU and a beefy graphics card (8800?)......As I've heard that FSX is more CPU-hungry than graphics card-hungry, can anyone tell me if it's worth going for a duo core or quad core CPU (i.e. does FSX take advantage of the quad cores)? Bearing in mind I'm on a limited budget (hence the original upgrade query), please can you make any specific suggestions for matching components to build this rig, primarily with FSX in mind? (I'm based in the UK).Many thanks again....Toni.

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Intel 6700 duo-core (2.66Mhz), 2GB RAM computer, driving an Nvidia 7950 GX2 SLI video card.I get pretty poor FPS results with FSX and am now thinking of upgrading to a new video card.I've researched the Tom's Hardware site, and the 8800GTX or 9800 range are 'top of the list' as far as FSX is concerned. (My current card is way, way down the list.....)However, I'm not sure that the power supply in my Dell is beefy enough to handle it and it seems that changing the power supply on the Dell isn't an option due to Dell's configuration of plugs and wires being unique to their machines (i.e. not 'generic'.)Has anyone tried this combination with success, or do you have any suggestions for a replacement video card that will perform much better than the current one?Thanks for any help.
If you are looking for the elusive better frame rates I think you will be dissapointed. If you are able to I would first overclock to3 + Ghz if you are able and then worry about a newer graphics card. I just "upgraded' from a 7950 GT 0C to a GTS 250 and the gains if any are elusive at best. Best of luck,Craig