Sign in to follow this  

Update from 98SE to XP pro should I do it.

I am not sure what forum to ask this but I have a PIII-1G machine 512 mb of memory a new 80gig HD and Ge force 4 128mb video card and ever since I put the card in I have had all kinds of probelms. I have had more problems actually outside of FS but atill all kinds of issues. I recently cleaned my registry and updated to the latest drivers from Nvidia and direct X 9.0 and everything works okay but PSS A320 has more stutters than before with my older TNT Nvidia 64MB card. I have a copy of XP and was wondering if I should upgrade it. I no enough about computers to get into trouble but have a good friend that will help. Any suggestions or insight would be great.Thanks in advance.Shayne

I would recommned it, especially since you have it already. MS discontinued support for 98, so you might want to. I still crash XP occasionally, but not nearly as often as 98! LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi.I have systems running OSs from DOS to XP. I have XP on one system, mostly to verify compatibility. I would not upgrade to XP, specially if you need to buy the OS. There are many reasons why, and I will give you some here. Many of the DOS utilities will not work, older Printers, Scanners, Video cards etc., will most likely not work and the most manufacturers will not take the time to write new drivers. Many of the Controllers / Joysticks have a problem also. I have many of my friends that called me to remove the XP and put back the 98SE from their old systems. If you do decide to get XP, I would recommend to keep your old OS on a HD, as you have it now, start XP on a new HD and see how far you can get with the new OS. If you use that system for the Inet make sure you get SP1 before you do that. I see no advantage in going to XP, I have 98SE running on some systems for the last 4 years with the original installation. If you have Ghost create an Image of your OS partition, and Restore it if you find that you installed some trash program that corrupts your system. I keep my OS on a separate 1.5 Gb partition, normally runs under 400 Mb without the Swap file, save it to CDRW, and Restore it, on the systems that I thrash around a lot. Good luck TV

see my system below, i use this computer for Flight sim exclusively, and so far i am very happy with WinXP Home SP1, its rock solid playing Fs2002.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest ScottPilot

One word from me...YESUpgrading (via a clean install) to XP Pro was the best move for my system. Fixed and improved many issues. MSFS 2K2 runs great on XP!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS

Go for it: just be sure you do a full clean install of XP rather than trying to "upgrade" Windows 98 by installing XP on top of it. You're asking for big trouble if you do that even though according MS you're supposed to be able to. I've never seen it turn out well...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I upgraded over 98se with no problems I went to microsofts site and got the upgrade checker thing to see what drivers I needed to update and what software wouldnt work then went from there. I haven't had a problem since the upgrade 3mths ago my system specs are amd 900,640mb sdram, gf4 ti4400 and fs2002 works great :) Hope this helps