Sign in to follow this  

Will you abandon MFSF2002 for MSFS2004?

Don't know about you, but everytime Microsoft brought out a new MSFS, I was probably the first one in Electronics Boutique or Babbages or Best Buy to get one of the first 10 copies. I usually ABANDON THE OLD VERSION IMMEDIATELY, AND DON'T LOOK BACK! I've never been one to "wait and see" how it works or what the feedback is...I just assume it's going to be better, and it almost always is. I look forward with tremendous anticipation for the new MSFS in July.So..........my question is, "Should we still be adding new utility programs or new payware models to MSFS2002 at this point? We're only 2 months (or less) away. Are the new planes and utilities going to be able to run on the new MSFS program? What are your feelings, in general, about being this close to the introduction of a new sim and how it relates to our current sim? Stanps. Has anyone heard if Microsoft is going to improve the ForceFeedback experience with this new MSFS version? I'd like to feel the "bumps of turbulence" if possible.

Guest ssurjap

I think you should continue adding them for a while simply because not everyone is going to rush and buy FS2004 they day it hits the shelves.A lot of people will wait to see how those who buy it first feel about it. In addition, some may feel that they don't have a powerful enough system to run FS2004.I've heard some people were still running FS98 when FS2002 came out and was still running it.Steven

Hi, "Will you abandon MFSF2002 for MSFS2004?""Yes for sure, and you will see less dramatic files uploaded and created to fs2002 and almost non commercial for fs2002, commercial are already move on to fs2004. After a while, you will see most folks from fs2002 go for fs2004 and ton's of addons freeware or commercial for fs2004 like it was for fs2002 and fs2000. Specialy if you don't upgrade your computer near 6/12 month, you will be really outdated for fs2006 or others game also, even if the computer will require much more..ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I have to disagree with your statement Steven... Everyone will run out and buy FS2004 this summer (not speaking for those who can't afford a new system). Why would they wait when key third party developers have already vouched for this new sim (the boys at Dreamfleet come to mind here)??? I've been around this community since 1986 and believe me most people don't wait to buy a new version of FS. Look at the response FS2000 got even though we all knew the sim had bugs and frame rate issues. Not to mention third party optimism was almost non-existent compared to the overall excitement being generated around FS2004. I'm almost certain this will be the most complete version of Flight Simulator in the history of the series and once it's released it will be a milestone not only for the history of flight but simulation as well.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Stan, I'd like to see if someone creates a Force Feedback Yoke and Rudder Peddles. If your flying with a joystick, that's highly unrealistic unless your aircraft is military or maybe of course an Airbus....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest IanP

I disagree that *everyone* runs out and buys the new sim. The hardcore simmers do - except those that still claim FS98 is the best (there are a few!) and refuse to admit the advances that have been made.I, personally, probably will go out and get it when it makes an appearance in the UK. I fly Bush types a lot, so a Piper Cub, a DC-3, better weather and ATC are major plusses in my opinion. A lot of people will, however, either not get it because they "already have flight simulator" and aren't really interested enough to warrant spending more money or will wait to get it when their favourite add-ons are upgraded to work with it. A lot of the Lago add-ons spring to mind there.Anyway, I can't wait to see the new sim so I can make up my own mind. Put my name on the "improved turbulence code" fans list... Mountain waves and active CBs might make me crash a few times, but I'd love to see them included! ;-)Ian P.:-halo

I'd like to see that FF Yoke too. But I think it'll be a long wait. Let's see Stan

Guest jaapverduijn

Ah, IanP, for once we agree (wide grin)!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest GalacticCowboy

I'm not concerned about what other people think of it - I'm just going to wait until I can buy it for $20 on Ebay. :)

I don't see myself getting a new computer anytime soon and my current one only barely runs FS02 the way I want it, so I don't see me buying FS04. If I come up with the capital to buy a new machine someday, I'll get it, but not before.KP

Guest emergency_pants

I probably will move straight on to FS2004, yeah. I probably have a system capable of running it, so why not. Of course, I'll probably have to wait a month until I can stump up the cash... but I kept my receipt this time... so I'm hoping I'll get some money back for upgrading, like MS offered with previous versions.The introduction of an upgraded sim is a good oppotunity to spring clean all the collected files and get rid of all the bits n bobs that I don't use... which is a great deal!When FS2004 gets on my system, I'll keep it very clean this time 'round. Less freeware stuff just for the sake of it. Just the best downloaded stuff and my payware planes and utils. That's all.If you have the cash and the system, I don't see why not upgrade, unless maybe you've spent a long long time getting performance balanced well and don't want to screw around with it.

>I think you should continue adding them for a while simply>because not everyone is going to rush and buy FS2004 they day>it hits the shelves.>>A lot of people will wait to see how those who buy it first>feel about it. In addition, some may feel that they don't>have a powerful enough system to run FS2004.>>I've heard some people were still running FS98 when FS2002>came out and was still running it.>>StevenI agree with Stephen. I'm one of those who waits a few months to what issues crop up. Also, lot of people who have bought add-ons for FS2002 will want to keep using FS2002 for while, until stuff starts appearing for FS2002.J

>I'm not concerned about what other people think of it - I'm>just going to wait until I can buy it for $20 on Ebay. :)LOL! That's what I do!

Aside from the weather engine, I haven't seen anything yet to make me believe this is as profound a change as that between FS2000 and FS2002. The screenshots do seem to show a finer mesh in some areas, and it looks like some of the ground textures have been improved even more. Water reflections also look enhanced, as well as sky colors. From what I see, it's worth buying just from the visual improvements (I don't mention the aircraft, as I am a bigger fan of third party aircraft).But I'm to the point now, having a growing family to take care of, that I may skip FS2004 entirely if reports come back that it is no longer "low end system" friendly. FS2002 has done everything I asked of it on my P3/800. And it was the first release from Microsoft that ran better and smoother than the previous one, even with improved graphics. My sense is if Microsoft retains the same graphics engine in FS2004, and just sticks to an optimized redoing of the weather engine, I may be in for a pleasant surprise. In that case--if I convert, I will likely retire FS2002 very quickly. I've already started my pre-conversion review--I'm clearing out my aircraft collection, and tidying up the rest of the sim folders. -John

Guest Tim13

The weather/atmosphere improvements alone are worth it for me. Add in all of the other improvements, and I will be switching over as soon as it's available. Many of my flights are short(under 2 hours) flights in a larger GA or smaller airliner, so the new weather themes really appeals to me.Tim13