Sign in to follow this  
Guest progrmr

What am I doing wrong ????

Hi , I know its going to be something stupid that I am doing wrong but I cant see what it is ?I am sat on the runway , I press shift z and across the top of the screen it tells me lots of info , like Lat, Long, altitude , FPSbut most importantly it shows my heading and its saying 027 degreesIn cockpit mode the heading indicator also points at 27 degrees so no problems there . Well yes there is because I am sat on runway 18at Lyneham It doesnt matter what runway I use neither is it fussy which airport i am at , it still points to approx 150 degrees less than my true direction . I have rebooted but still the same Sat on Birmingham EGBB runway 15 and the heading indicator says Im pointing as near as dammit to north ( 358 degrees )Pressing shift z agrees its 358 degrees , but pressing F9 brings up FS Nav and that shows me pointing 150 degrees , and looking down the runway my eyes tell me that yes I am pointing 150 degrees , So,, what have I done silly thats causing this ?Don

No, pressing D does not appear to do anything at all Don

Guest Bilbo

2 questions:1)Does this happen when the engines are running, the alternator/generator switch is turned on and the electrical supply is turned on?2)Does this happen with all aircraft?Bilbo

Hi Bilbo , in answer to your questions , Yes and YesHeres a copy of a mail about my problem which I just sent to a pal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OK , I chose EGBB Birmingham my local airport as it runs roughly north south , infact the main runway is 332 / 152 and I am sat at the end of runway 15 looking down the strip ready to take off so everything should read 152 DegreesPressing Shift Z tells me I am pointing 358 degreesThe direction indicator tells me 358 degreesThe Compass tells me 358 degrees In map-view The picture on the map shows me pointing 152 degrees but the text box marked heading says 358The GPS picture shows me pointing 152 but the Track Readout says 358 FSNAV shows me pointing 152looking out the window it shows me looking down runway 15 towards Coventry , Thats about 152 degrees I changed to the 737-400 , That uses a HSI so is very different to the heading indicator gauge , I carried out all the above tests again and sure enough got exactly the same results even though I am in a different plane , and on the HSI it also says 358 degreesAny text info gives me a reading that is about 154 degrees less than the true orientation of my aircraft . but any view , ( out the window , the little plane symbol on GPS, Map view and FS Nav all show me pointing the correct way ) Don

The last message indicates a 180 degree difference. The only thing that comes to mind is that you might want to check within FS2002 that it thinks its in the correct hemisphere ! I can't remember offhand whether this needs to be set up or specified, but if you go to an airfield/airport where you know the Latitude/Longitude coordinates (in, say, the US or the UK) and look at the Shift Z readout, check its displaying a set with a Northern Hemisphere address, not a Southern Hemisphere address.Other than this, I'm mystified !Alastair

Just for kicks, try deselecting gyro drift under Aircraft, Realism settings, Instruments and lights section.

Guest progrmr

yea, this is WAY overdone in FS2k2

Go to the Menu bar, bring up OptionsSettingsInternational, under Latitude make sure Northern is selected. Make sure that the setting for Longitude is set for where you are in relation to the Prime Meridian. Might want to make sure your Units of Measure are set correctly for your part of the world.Hope this helps.

Well thanks for trying but that didnt cure it I'm afraidthere are some new things I have found while trying to cure it ,,,I Tried various airports and noted the direction the plane was facing and also the direction the heading indicator said I was facing , and its not constantOn runway 4 at Manises in Spain I was pointing 40 degrees but flight sim says i am at 250 , thats reading 210 degrees more than my true heading yet at harles De Gaul in France the difference between true and stated headings is only 4 degrees at los angeles the difference is 14 degrees , at Birmingham England its 152 degrees and Sydney Australia its 13 degreesI began to think it was just choosing random numbers but if I close flight sim then restart, I get exatly the same figures each timeDon

Guest bones

Can I just confirm you are running a pristine example of FS with no add-ons?Also, go into the FS2002/Scenery folder and give me the date/time stamp for your magdec.bgl..boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Hi no its not a pristine install with nothing else running but it was running fine untill 2 weeks ago , since then the only additions I can remember making were installing lago terramesh 13 and the VFR Photo scenery packagesthe date stamp on magdev isWednesday, April 18, 2001, 3:21:19 AMDon