Sign in to follow this  
JW6984

VFR Approach Waypoint

First I want to say that the MD11 is outstanding. I do have a small problem/question: During a VFR approach, I setup according to the FMS Manual page FMS.60.9 and I get a generated waypoint FA*** as I should. However, many times the VFR waypoint is not aligned with the runway azimuth, sometimes it's a little off and sometimes it's way off. I haven't taken any screenshots but I will if it helps. As far as I can tell the a/c position is initialized properly.Are there any known issues or am I the first? I am using the FS9 version.Jim

Can one of you post a screenshot of this?

I've had this same issue flying into TNCM.-Alex
You would do at TNCM, the beacon is offset by three degrees from the runway centreline in real life, check out the approach plate (note that this is the old plate, suitable for TNCM in FS):TNCM.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

We are discussing the visual approach, not the VOR/DME approach. -Alex

I forgot to mention in the above post that I'm using FSX. -Alex

Alex,I forgot to reply last night, but I checked both my FS9 and FSX installs at TNCM and the waypoint was where I would expect it to be, inline with the runway.I know Jim said it moves around, but is it always in that position for you, or do you also see it move around? Have you seen this at a different airport?

On mine it doesn't move and this is the only airport I've seen this problem at (then again, I don't fly many VFR approaches). By the way I'm using the 905 navdata.-Alex

All, I am experiencing the exact same thing shown in Alex's pic. My latest occurence was at Bonaire (TNCB) airport. I didn't mean to say that the FAnnn waypoint moves around, what I meant to say is that in some instances it's a little off azimuth, and other times it way off (as in Alex's pic). I will post a few screens when I get the chance, within the next few days. I am using the FS9 version.Jim

Alex, can you test TNCB and see if you get it there as well?Jim, if you get a chance can you test TNCM and see if you get the same issue as Alex? Are you using the 0905 navdata like Alex is? Just wondering if this is some sort of weird navdata problem. I'm using the stock navdata, and that might be why I'm not seeing it. Hopefully we'll get this one figured out.

I too get the VFR waypoint assigned South of the field instead of lined up on the runway, which would be West of the field for runway 10. I am using cycle 0905, but looking at the wpNavAPT.txt file doesn't reveal anything unusual. I want to try a couple of things, but don't have a clue why this is happening.

Dan Downs KCRP

Looks like the program is looking at the "approach course" field in the navdata wpNavAPT.txt file to get the bearing for the VFR waypoint, in this case, the course information is missing because navigraph puts zeros in the field when there is no localizer-based approach. Not knowing what the FMS should be capable of, I have punted this ball to the developers.

Dan Downs KCRP

Mike, I tested at TNCM, I got the same thing as Alex. See pic below, VFR fix for RWY 10 is way off. I used the FIX page to display the PJM radials 096/276 to show approximate track of the TNCM RWY 10.I am not using latest AIRAC 0905, I am still using 0903. Also using Flytampa TNCM scenery but not sure if that would matter?? I also note that my 0903 navdata doesn't have any departure RWYs or SIDs for TNCM but does include the STARs and approaches. Thanks much for the replies. This is a great product, the best aircraft for FS so far IMHO.Jim