Sign in to follow this  
Guest tascaso

Can't say I didn't try...

Again, my "biggest fan" (or another one) has contacted us over at FFX/SGA and left us a nice email. At least this one was better presented than some of the others. But what really ####### me off is the fact that the people that love to nitpick about our birds NEVER use a valid email address. This person based on his letter and the other "nitpickers" lurk over at "allnodesbusy.com". You remember those folks over there don't you? The ones that called us "Avsim refugees" back when our screenshot forum was down.Well anyway, I just thought I'd share this letter and my reply with you all. Maybe some of you will also understand our position at FFX as well. I think I made myself clear on some points.>----- ------- Original Message ------- ----->From: "Barry Johnson" >To: erick@sgair.net, mike@sgair.net,>jonathan@sgair.net>Sent: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:44:21>>Hey Guys,>>I just downloaded the 737-800. You all have a very>nice aircraft with some >nice dynamic shine. There are just a few questions>and comments I'd like to >direct your way. Maybe you can answer them?>>I noticed that the engines seem to be about 3 feet>too far inward. They >should line up right up on the outboard slats. I>mean I noticed there was a >white spot on the wings where the pylon assembly>should be, but the assembly >is inside of that white mark (where it obviously>should be). Do you plan to >fix this error ??>>The flight dynamics are OK, but they are not true>to life. I currently am a >Captain on one of these magnificant beasts at>Delta. I can tell you that the >roll rate is about 3deg/ps to fast and that you are>missing alot of air >drag. I can hardly get the plane to slow down in>Flight Sim. In real life, >the speed comes off at a moderate rate. Just to>give you an example, the >other day during a real flight, I was guiding the>aircraft thru 16000 for >8000. At 16000 the aircraft was travelling at>around 290kts. We were >instructed to bring the aircraft to 230kts before>10000. I reduced power >from 79% to 38%. In 30 seconds we were already>closing on 240kts at 11000 >with no spoiler. I tried the same thing in your>aircraft last night and I >came thru 11000 at 280kts. I can't get the aircraft>to slow down to landing >speed either (which is 144kts). Also the cruise>pitch angle should be 2deg >instead of 3.5. When will you fix these problems>???>>Other than this, I can not think of anything else.>I have tried your other >aircraft and I thought most of the dynamics were>poorly done. You never >updated the dynamics to correct the problems. That>showed that you really >didn't care about your product and that you have no>intention of listening >to those who offer corrections and fixes for your>aircraft. It seems to me >that you guys are just a bunch of teenagers who>refuse to listen to >professionals with correct FDE information. I>really hope that you make >strides to correct these errors. I also hope that>Mike can get the correct >information into the FDE for a change. I am getting>tired of having to fix >his mistakes and re-releasing the FDEs to the>public. I got beat to the >punch with you MD-80, but I released fixes for you>horrible DC-9-50 FDE and >your 737-200 FDE. Looks like i'll have to do the>same if you refuse to >correct these errors.>>Good Day,>>Barry Johnson>Delta 737-800 Captain>21 year career spanning the 727/MD-80/L-1011 and>now 738My reply;I always admit to everyone when questioned, that I still don't know all of the parameters contained within the airfile and have yet once claim to do so. True airfile editing and in depth knowledge is widely known as a "black art" and only known to very few in the sim community. If you care to share your extensive knowledge with me, perhaps I can eliminate the continuous need for you to release updates. I'm always open to learning more. However, I must address this particular comment you made; "That showed that you really didn't care about your product and that you have no intention of listening to those who offer corrections and fixes for your aircraft. It seems to me that you guys are just a bunch of teenagers who refuse to listen to professionals with correct FDE information." Number 1, we do care about our products and we try to listen to all. Number 2, I never received ANY offers for corrections OR fixes in the manner that you suggest. Number 3, We are NOT a bunch of teenagers. Our group is comprised of a wide range in ages up to 41. Number 4, We are a freeware group releasing free products of generous quality, but never once have we claimed that our products are the best and or most accurate of design and quality such as you would find in a high quality payware release. At this point we consider ourselves above average. Better than some, not as good as others. Number 5, I have to keep reminding everyone that FS is a scenery generator AND originally (and still is) designed as a game. It never has been, nor will it ever become a true to life simulator. With 21 years experience behind the yoke, you of all people should know this. The FDE's that I release are the best that I can do with what limited knowledge I have of the fore mentioned art and the limited spectrum of FS. Even the very best airfile editors have to make sacrafices and exceptions in their settings to make them work in FS. Finding that they positioned the horizontal stabilizer thru the mid section of the fuselage, or positioned the engines above or aft and off the wings etc just doesn't work for me at all. Not the realism that you and I and many others seek. At least with my fde's, everything is where its supposed to be. Thrust and fuel is set to manufacturers specifications. I could go on here but I won't. Now if you would like to conduct yourself as a proffesional, leave any and all insults and bashing behind you and willingly share your vast knowledge with me, I would gladly welcome any and all help that you offer. Once you agree with that, then I'll share with you my IM screen names on MSN and AIM. There we can communicate better than through here on email. We have an L1011 in the works and would love to get your input and assistance on it. Mike BaumannFFX/SGAI can't post this over at the "other" site. They never got back to me with my password etc for their forum. But I'd sure love to get this there sometime since all of our "dearest friends" lurk there. Anyway, I know some of you are having problems with your aircraft and some of you are not. I/we can't address each and every single problem that pops up. Each one is always different and unique to the individual user and his/her setup. We'll keep working hard to better ourselves as we progress along with future releases and updates, but no promises will be made now or ever.Take care all! And thanks for downloading our hard work and for all of your support.

Guest ba747heavy

WHoooo weeee, what a jerk. I highly doubt he is a pilot, as he claims he is. :-rollJust ignore that idiot and move on :D

Guest Daniel Pimentel

That sounds unusually familiar Mike... :-lol Maybe this is the same addicted fan who sent ya the wonderful E-mail that made you "decide to leave". :) Oh, and regarding the 21 yrs. behind the yoke, boy, I wouldn't want to have such an impulsive fella as a captain, that's for sure. lolCheers,Daniel Pimentel/FFGPainter. :)http://www.aa.com/content/images/home/homeLogo.gif______________________________"Whenever you find yourself in the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

Guest Timbo

"Just to give you an example, the other day during a real flight"Seems like he's trying too hard to convince you. I'm willing to bet money he isn't a real pilot.[table][tr][td rowspan=2]http://timbo87.home.attbi.com/sig/valiant.gif[/td][td]

Tim Pinkawa

[/td][tr][td]

Alpha Sims Texture Artist/Panel Designer

Tims FS Studio]

[/td][/tr][/table

Guest firehawk44

Mike,I liked your response although I doubt it will sink in with the "Delta Pilot". He sounds like he has quite an ego. I downloaded your 738 and I think it's great, including the flight dynamics. Thanks to you and your team for all your hard work! It IS appreciated.Jim

Guest brewmaster

Seems that a "real" pilot would be the first to understand and appreciate that a $50 sim cant come close to perfectly simulating the real thing. This guy is full of it and never has and probably never will sit behind the yoke of a real aircraft. Dont let ego laden idiots like this get in the way of your work. It seems in recent years guys like this have become more and more common and seem to forget that as much as they do not want to admit it this is just a game and not a perfect simulator. My guess is that is why Delta and the other airlines dont use FS to train their pilots (duh). When will people understand that this is more about having fun than honest true to life training. I have noticed guys like this scare away quite a few newbies in these forums who dare to ask "dumb" questions. Egos are ruining this hobby. Dare ask a question about "autoland" in any forum and you will see what I mean...Brew

Go to the head of the class!You nailed the REAL issue perfectly.Constructive criticism is fine, but let's HELP each other, not insult each other."Dumb" but smart enough to know it.Glenn D. Willmot

Guest Lizardo

I feel the pain everywhere, haha. Here's another point...were the conditions, real/2k2 exactly the same. I have yet to see real air stay the same moment to moment, or passengers STAY in their seats.I've heard 50 pilots say 50 different things about the same planes I flew, and I'd say 50 different things to...same for 50 guys & 50 girlfriends on 50 days, I suppose. And "this" is not a plane, but only math and visuals bound by the parameters of the sim itself. "As good as it gets" = as good as it will let you get. Them that can DO, them that can't gripe.

I know Erick by his own admission is fairly young, but his A/C design talent is as seasoned as they come.First, on the engines, they seem to be placed about right. I looked at some 3-views at airliners.net, and at the shots there. On the 738 or any of the NG's, I don't believe the engines line up with the pylons. They DO on the 737-3/4/5 series, and Erick's model shows that from the shots I've seen.And if the guy is a pilot, I'm scared--very scared. All that knowledge, and he can't edit an FDE and send it on to you.... Hmmmmm.... Yet the guy can manage the '800's glass cockpit?As to caring about your product, what did this fool pay for it? I'm so tired of hearing stuff like this thrown at freeware developers, and I have received a few such emails myself. I care about my hobby, but since my hobby doesn't pay the bills, my family comes first. You guys do care--producing work over and over again that astounds me.Just an example of how you guys "do" listen--Erick wasn't fond of including dynamic wing views in his work, but started including them after the round of discussions came up last year about them. Some "older" designers, freeware and payware, won't budge an inch on that issue. By including such views, Erick has all but assured the 737 series being the premier series for this aircraft, freeware or payware, in the visuals and "eye candy" department. He didn't have to do it, and if he fell into the "just a teenager" category--well it's a rare teenager that listens to anyone these days. You guys do great work.... Whether you're eighteen or eighty, I don't care. It is up there with the best.

Guest B52Drivr

Dear Mike,Well, I doubt if this guy is a real pilot, much less a professional . . . and if he is, well, I'm not sure I would want to fly with him. In my lifetime, (in and out of the left seat), I have found that yes, pilots have great ego's . . . however, pilots with ego's that big, usually don't live long enough or stay employeed long enough to crank up enough hours to amount to anything.Real pilots who use this forum generally try to point out flaws in a 'nice' way and offer help, or modify the aircraft themselves and then offer the mods to everyone -- and, know that this whole hobby is based on 'freeware' and the work which goes into individuals aircraft is very great and time consuming.I really can't get over the amount of time and effort some of you designers put forth, as I wouldn't know where to start! Take his comments with a grain of salt, smile and laugh a bit . . . for he is an #### . . . if he is a real world pilot, and that exacting, then he should perhaps find a way to be helpful rather than be negitive . . .momma always said you caught more flies with honey than with salt!Keep doing what you do so well,Best to you and yours,Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com

Guest SoarPics

"Them that can DO, them that can't gripe."This is perfect, Lizardo, absolutely perfect. :-beerchug The structure of this guy's e-mail to Mike says all anybody needs to know about this "Delta Captain" (one very good reason to stay away from Delta flights... just hope this one isn't one of the guys now allowed to carry concealed weapons aboard... that's a scary thought).

Guest drobson

Mike,I'm not going to comment on the e-mail you've received and posted here. However, I do take offense at your comments:" You remember those folks over there don't you? The ones that called us "Avsim refugees" back when our screenshot forum was down."If you will remember, the two or three people who made those comments were dealt with, and the problem eliminated. To insinuate that everybody in the flightsimnetwork forums are jerks is totally out of line! There are just as many "bad apples" lurking in these forums as any other site.Have you ever contacted anyone as to why you've never received a password there? Evidently not.Darrell

Agreed, the majority of Flightsim com. users are much the same as here-------- IMO---- besides, I'm no different..........when there!I'll also go with the majority; that this so-called Delta pilot is an arm-chair wanna-be , with great illusions!L.Adamson

Hi Mike,if all those people on FS forums claiming to be 'real' pilots were to be taken at face value, one could only reach the somewhat frightening conclusion that the skies are full of deranged psychopaths in charge of multi-million dollar aircraft (full of passengers, no less).Somehow my experience as a passenger does not appear to support that conlusion... :)Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Mike,I love your 737-200's. You guys at FFX do a wonderful job! Pete