Sign in to follow this  
Guest lowrider20281

Good Old Fs9

Here's the best listing I've found of freeware sceneries for fs9:http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.phpIf you look under "Austria", there are several payware-quality airport sceneries available, including Salzburg, Linz, Klagenfurt, and Graz. There is also a free mesh for the Alps which helps a lot; I think it's by Holger Sandmann. Onur is right about the freeware EDDF; that's the best one I've found. Saving my pennies for the Aerosoft version. The "Free Z" Zurich airport is also good.

John G.

You being a RL pilot..I would suggest you get TrackIR as I see you use the VC. Nothing adds more realism that actually looking around naturally.
I can't say enough about this statement... I have TrackIR 5 and it's amazing (I only use two axis to look-up/down and side to side). This with a smooth running FS9 system is amazing. I'd also recommend getting a video card with 1gig of ram. That together with a Dual Core rig and it's like being there in person. Again I can't begin to say what yoke/peddles and TrackIR does for immersion and the feeling of being there.... I fly for real and a setup like this can't be beat...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Basicly any european international airport would be great. Since i have ultimate terrain europe I mostly fly in europe.Plus I know alot of the navaids, SIDs and STARS from my flight training :-)Another big question of mine is how can I make overcast really look like overcast? I currently use 2D clouds because I haven't found any good looking yet fps friendly 3D clouds. But everytime is set the weather to be a typical rainy overcast day, i see blue sky and utterly ugly 2D clouds. Is there maybe a better texture for the 2D clouds?Thank you so much for your great tips!TomPS: Toulouse Blagnac would be a great airport which I can't find anywhere
The link posted above by John is good for freeware sceneries, you should be able to find all of them there.Toulouse certainly would be wonderful, I lived a few years over there! Unfortunately, no freeware version, only a payware one. Actually there is a free LFBO but it comes with other stuff covering the Midi-Pyrenees region but I haven't tested it.If you want realistic clouds and a good weather engine you have to get Active Sky, again payware.For Sid/Stars, go here http://www.navdata.at/php/sidstar/sidstar.phpEDIT: Check out this thread for better visual settings, I've found it to be extremely useful: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=245152&hl

Guest lowrider20281
The link posted above by John is good for freeware sceneries, you should be able to find all of them there.Toulouse certainly would be wonderful, I lived a few years over there! Unfortunately, no freeware version, only a payware one. Actually there is a free LFBO but it comes with other stuff covering the Midi-Pyrenees region but I haven't tested it.If you want realistic clouds and a good weather engine you have to get Active Sky, again payware.For Sid/Stars, go here http://www.navdata.at/php/sidstar/sidstar.phpEDIT: Check out this thread for better visual settings, I've found it to be extremely useful: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=245152&hl
Thank you very much for the thread tip. I am about to freak out. I thought I had all set up nice and smooth then I wanted to take a ride in the pmdg 737 and all was fine but then out of nowhere stutters and fps drops for about one minute and then everything smooth again. I locked my FPS at 25 but still can't get it to work all the way

Guest lowrider20281

Ok guys I have no idea what to do ....I tried tweaking FS2004 as much as I can but I always have little stutters to big fps hits and not just at airports but during flightMaybe you have something I have overlookedHere is my system:Acer Aspire 5720ZGIntel Dual Core 2.0GHz4GB DDR2GeForce 8400M GS 256MBnewest Drivers and nHancerWindows Vista 32bit Home PremiumHere are my nHancer settings AA: Multisampling 4x; Gamma Correction; Super Transperency AAAF: 16xVertical Sync: OnTexture Filtering: QualityTrilinear Opti: OnOptimized anisotrophic Sampling: OnNegative LOD BIAS: clampForce Mip Maps: TrilinearIn Fs2004 I switched of AA and have Texture Filtering set to Trilinear. Auto Gen is set to 0The resolution is 1280 x 800 x 32In Fs9.cfg I tweaks[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS .0]Mode=1280x800x32TriLinear=1RenderToTexture=0[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40DisableSoftwareWarning=1[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=72.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=3TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1[sCENERY]IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=2DYNAMIC_SCENERY=0DYN_SCN_DENSITY=0DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=0SUNGLARE=0LENSFLARE=1So if someone has the time to look through this and find something I am missing I would be so thankfull!I really need advice Thanks in advance TomPS: I tried severall addons and deleted them with their uninstaller do you think I should make a complete reinstall?

Must be 'Windows Vista' everything else looks good... FS9 runs best under XP.

FS2020 

Hi Tom.Make sure you Disable AA in the sim and enable it in the Video Controller.Assign your Twist axis to Look / Pan, Right / Left (Heading). Save your cfg, and try my settings, below. TV[GRAPHICS]FULL_SCREEN=1PERFORMANCE_MODE=0DEF_PERF_MODE=6TEXT_SCROLL=1AUTO_LOD=0DETAIL_TEXTURE=2WATER_EFFECTS=1TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_MAP=1TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=1EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0SMOOTH_VIEW=1IMAGE_SMOOTHING=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1IMAGE_QUALITY=0TEXTURE_BLDG=1TEXTURE_GND=1TEXTURE_WATER=1AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=2SEE_SELF=1TEXTURE_QUALITY=3LOD_TARGET_FPS=21NUM_LIGHTS=6[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon ]Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1AntiAlias=1[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1570080[sCENERY]IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5DYNAMIC_SCENERY=1DYN_SCN_DENSITY=2DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1SUNGLARE=0LENSFLARE=0

Guest lowrider20281
Must be 'Windows Vista' everything else looks good... FS9 runs best under XP.
That would be a horror since i need vista for alot of my programs. Do you think aero is the key?
Hi Tom.Make sure you Disable AA in the sim and enable it in the Video Controller.Assign your Twist axis to Look / Pan, Right / Left (Heading). Save your cfg, and try my settings, below. TV[GRAPHICS]FULL_SCREEN=1PERFORMANCE_MODE=0DEF_PERF_MODE=6TEXT_SCROLL=1AUTO_LOD=0DETAIL_TEXTURE=2WATER_EFFECTS=1TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_MAP=1TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=1EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0SMOOTH_VIEW=1IMAGE_SMOOTHING=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1IMAGE_QUALITY=0TEXTURE_BLDG=1TEXTURE_GND=1TEXTURE_WATER=1AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=2SEE_SELF=1TEXTURE_QUALITY=3LOD_TARGET_FPS=21NUM_LIGHTS=6[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon ]Mode=1280x1024x32TriLinear=1AntiAlias=1[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1570080[sCENERY]IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5DYNAMIC_SCENERY=1DYN_SCN_DENSITY=2DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1SUNGLARE=0LENSFLARE=0
What exactly should I copy from your cfg? I won't be able to use your radeon settings :-)What specific tweaks do you want me to add to minegreetings Tom

Guest lowrider20281

I just realized I completely forgot about the 9.1 Update. May this have caused the problems?I am definitely doing a reinstall of my FS2004 and will report the resultsTom

A fresh reinstall with the 9.1 patch of course is a good idea.You could start by the Terrain lines, those will improve your visuals. Also, in the thread I posted above you have them in detail.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

FS9 runs absolutely fine under Vista for me - at least as well as it did under XP. The problem isn't Vista. The problem more likely is you are running the sim on a laptop and trying to push too much AA and Aniso for that GS gpu. I'd try 2x fsaa, and 4 times aniso at most. I'd also suggest you limit the visibility in the sim to 30km. However, no matter what you do you are still going to experience framerate drops at heavy scenery areas and under certain weather conditions...

FS9 runs absolutely fine under Vista for me - at least as well as it did under XP. The problem isn't Vista. The problem more likely is you are running the sim on a laptop and trying to push too much AA and Aniso for that GS gpu. I'd try 2x fsaa, and 4 times aniso at most. I'd also suggest you limit the visibility in the sim to 30km. However, no matter what you do you are still going to experience framerate drops at heavy scenery areas and under certain weather conditions...
Definitely, especially when a lot clouds are involved.

I've heard allot of reports otherwise but maybe that was before the patches for Vista.

FS2020 

Guest lowrider20281

ok i did the reinstall and things run way smoother now. I used Flight Environment lower res clouds and visibilitly is at 112km and all fine. So I am still testing with diffrent aircrafts and all to get the best fps results.Thank for all the advice. Will write a report tomorrow to tell you what I did and what fps I getTom