Sign in to follow this  
Guest dwel

Avsim Libraryand their reponse

Guest dwel

"We'll get it up when we get it up" and then close responses is a little childish.You have been off-line for 2 months. I could have built a program from scratch in less time than that. I did it for my states Central Registry of Child Abuse Offenders, and with less staff and a lot of bad information that had to be cleaned up.I do not know what harm it is to keep everyone in the light. If I had of given your reponse to my Director I would have been out of a job!What is the harm of letting some who are frustrated vent? Is your hide really that thin?When running, you have the best FS site in the world. You should be proud of that! And I am mellow. Hope you are! See you in December.DW~~~~~~~~~~ :(

The fact that these guys run this site in their free time and not as their daytime jobs makes your situation a lot different.These guys are voluntarily running one of the biggest freeware sites for Flightsim and they do not have all day to work on it.I myself am very impatient because on the day after the attack I started colleting skins for several aircrafts and adjusting them to my needs and such, and AVSIM has a lot of skins that are not found anywhere else. However, I know that "venting" on the forum will have no other effect than ###### poeple off, so I keep it to myself.Also, Tom said they'd hope to open file library this weekend. =D

Guest zzmikezz
See you in December.DW~~~~~~~~~~ :(
What happens in December?

First of all,they can jolly well do as they please,and I myself don't think they are secretive,they've given updates if asked,and I've never felt like I didn;t know what was happening.Then again,maybe I can understand written words better then others,who knows.and yeah,it's not their day job,It's a labour of love,and I'm just waiting,when they'll get back I'll be happy,but to be honest I was more thrilled to see the forums and the main site back online.The wealth of knowledge that these forums contain outweigh a file library,imho.As for the rest,I'm grateful they exist,I love being here,and I'm even more grateful they don't charge me a penny.To the Avsim team,I salute you all,you did and do a wonderful job.JP.

Guest Gary Buska
"We'll get it up when we get it up" and then close responses is a little childish.You have been off-line for 2 months. I could have built a program from scratch in less time than that. I did it for my states Central Registry of Child Abuse Offenders, and with less staff and a lot of bad information that had to be cleaned up.I do not know what harm it is to keep everyone in the light. If I had of given your response to my Director I would have been out of a job!What is the harm of letting some who are frustrated vent? Is your hide really that thin?When running, you have the best FS site in the world. You should be proud of that! And I am mellow. Hope you are! See you in December.DW~~~~~~~~~~ :(
Ok you have said your piece! We have no problems taking criticism when done in a appropriate manner. If you read the posts as to what took place you would not make such a statement. Did it involve trying to piece information from bad disks, and did it involve thousands of files that are uniquely linked. You do not have any clue as what had to be done here it was more than just restoring the data the actual program that access the files had to be rebuilt as well and if you know anything about programing at all that is no easy task. And if you are that good then why did you not jump in and help out instead of making statements like the above. :(

Ok you have said your piece! We have no problems taking criticism when done in a appropriate manner. If you read the posts as to what took place you would not make such a statement. Did it involve trying to piece information from bad disks, and did it involve thousands of files that are uniquely linked. You do not have any clue as what had to be done here it was more than just restoring the data the actual program that access the files had to be rebuilt as well and if you know anything about programing at all that is no easy task. And if you are that good then why did you not jump in and help out instead of making statements like the above. :(
So, that being said. What is being done? I know I don't have a clue as to whats going on the past couple of weeks, neither does anyone. During the time ya' spent typing this, we could have been updated on the status of the library!I mean, is what he said considered a crime? Maybe to others part of what he said is true (minus the hurry up, I can do it better/faster crap). A lot of donors simply are curious as to the state of this tremendous and hugely missed library! He could have been more diplomatic or eloquent about it, but some people lack that skill.Anyway, hope it's not causing you too much stress. We do this stuff for fun, right?... :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

So, that being said. What is being done? I know I don't have a clue as to whats going on the past couple of weeks, neither does anyone. During the time ya' spent typing this, we could have been updated on the status of the library!I mean, is what he said considered a crime? Maybe to others part of what he said is true (minus the hurry up, I can do it better/faster crap). A lot of donors simply are curious as to the state of this tremendous and hugely missed library! He could have been more diplomatic or eloquent about it, but some people lack that skill.Anyway, hope it's not causing you too much stress. We do this stuff for fun, right?... :(
Zach-I think the point you made is the point. "We do this stuff for fun, right?"Restoring the entire library after being hacked might not be "fun" for those that do it for "fun" which are all the people that work for avsim for free to help the flight sim community for no other reason than to help the flightsim community...

'Spare me days!' There is a thread on this forum dedicated to updating us -- read it. Please stop annoying the staff and just let em get on with it.

'Spare me days!' There is a thread on this forum dedicated to updating us -- read it. Please stop annoying the staff and just let em get on with it.
And "AMEN!" to that. For goodness sake, guys, the AVSIM staff are not providing us a product we have paid for, - they are all FS enthusiasts like us, except for one key thing - THEY are giving up their free time to provide (and now rescue) this service we all greatly appreciate. I salute them and will not for a second complain impatiently as they try to bring the library back from the brink, even though I feel its loss keenly, as a very enthusiastic user of, and occasional contributor to the library. Note to AVSIM staff - behind these few messages of patient support there is a vast legion of supporters who are totally behind you and share these sentiments. Don't be discouraged. Paul

Guest ironhorsmn

I can't believe how upset some people get around here.Tom and his cohorts volunteer their time and efforts for everything on AVSIM.Except for third party adds and donations, there is no money in it for them. Adds and donations go directly for equipment, and all the bandwidth being consumed as we access all the different features of AVSIM.And we as a community get it all for FREE. You can't ask for a better price than that.Yet some people seem to believe that they have a God given right to full and imediate access to everything here and do not consider what these guys have to go through to keep this site going. Let alone a catastrophic event such as we have seen. These guys have to completely rebuild the library system, then the monumental task of going through each individual file to see if it is clean, and intact.Building a system may take a day or two, but checking and installing all the files that go into that system take a lot of time. If you don't believe it, just try doing a simple task of Reinstalling Windows, and all the software on your system, and reinstalling all the data that you had stored. It will take the better part of a day for something as relatively simple as that. Most everything that is installed is automaticly installed as you go through the steps.AVSIM doesn't use Windows I know, but the process is just as grueling no matter what OS you use.The people that do all the ######ing would probably act the same if they were notified that they won some lottery that they didn't have to buy a ticket for, and would imediate go into a tirade because it wasn't in their pocket by the time they were notifie. Poor example I know, but the analogy is the same.Give these AVSIM guys a break, after all they do have families, jobs, and lives outside of AVSIM. It might be different, if this is all they did with their lives.Keep Up The Excellent Work Tom and Crew.There are those of us that really do appreciate you and your crew, and the efforts you are making to revive the entire site.John

Point well taken, Geof!As for the above post, no one has said they're unappreciative. The OP even said "You guys should be proud!" This is a forum; by definition a place where opinions/views/advice/friendship/etc. is shared. Unless the moderators deem it inappropriate, I think it's just fine to share. Especially when there's a piece of you in this place. (Those who donate help, money, and/or files!!!)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules