Sign in to follow this  
Xilence

Google Chrome

Hey Avsim staff!I was wondering, since you are rebuilding the file library, is there a chance you could sneak in support for other browsers, preferably Google's browser Chrome?Thanks for everything =D.David

Hey Avsim staff!I was wondering, since you are rebuilding the file library, is there a chance you could sneak in support for other browsers, preferably Google's browser Chrome?Thanks for everything =D.David
The latest Firefox 3.5.1 is much faster than earlier versions.

The latest Firefox 3.5.1 is much faster than earlier versions.
Agreed. Besides initial load time, that is. PLUS: I can put all my METAR, music, and other add on gadgets on this thing!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Agreed. Besides initial load time, that is. PLUS: I can put all my METAR, music, and other add on gadgets on this thing!
Yeah, that initial loading time is what bothered me most. I just want internet to start up as soon as I click on it, and Google Chrome does that. Plus it's still very gast, I would say it's close to if not even faster than Firefox. Also the design is clean without too much rubbish and buttons I'll never use. Google Chrome is the ideal browser for me, even if it's not perfectly safe or whatever.

Yeah, that initial loading time is what bothered me most. I just want internet to start up as soon as I click on it, and Google Chrome does that. Plus it's still very gast, I would say it's close to if not even faster than Firefox. Also the design is clean without too much rubbish and buttons I'll never use. Google Chrome is the ideal browser for me, even if it's not perfectly safe or whatever.
I found that Google Chrome wouldn't let me download anything. Also it seems to be work-in-progress, and lacks some of the functionality of Firefox. I can't be specific about this, but I find Firefox much easier to use.

Guest Ted_Thompson

As a web designer (amateur) I've always taken the POV that you don't do ANYTHING special for ANY browser - you adhear to the W3C standards and let the browsers hash it out.That being said, it appears the Chrome (my own fav ATM) is ignorant of FTP protocol and doesn't know what to do with ftp addresses, unlike nearly every other browser.So, if I'm right, that's something for Google to fix, not AVSIM.

As a web designer (amateur) I've always taken the POV that you don't do ANYTHING special for ANY browser - you adhear to the W3C standards and let the browsers hash it out.That being said, it appears the Chrome (my own fav ATM) is ignorant of FTP protocol and doesn't know what to do with ftp addresses, unlike nearly every other browser.So, if I'm right, that's something for Google to fix, not AVSIM.
Exactly. We are not going to redesign the library just so one browser can accommodate it. I just tried Chrome against FF (latest version), and Chrome does not recognize the FTP function at all. How dumb is that, given that the FTP function has been around since the VERY early days of the net? I use FF almost exclusively now. I have totally given up on IE as each version gets worse and Chrome has a LONG way to go for me to even consider it for my use.

Guest zzmikezz
Exactly. We are not going to redesign the library just so one browser can accommodate it. I just tried Chrome against FF (latest version), and Chrome does not recognize the FTP function at all. How dumb is that, given that the FTP function has been around since the VERY early days of the net? I use FF almost exclusively now. I have totally given up on IE as each version gets worse and Chrome has a LONG way to go for me to even consider it for my use.
Firefox 3.5 has a terrific FTP client plugin available for it -- FireFTP. Great tool, no need to RTFM.

I wasn't aware of that. Nevermind my question then, and let's hope Google fixes this sometime soon.

After some browsing on the Chromium development forum I found that simply refreshing the page after getting the "Page not found" error will initiate the download.For some reason Google Chrome DOES support FTP, but doesn't know what to do with the ftp:// prefix :S

After some browsing on the Chromium development forum I found that simply refreshing the page after getting the "Page not found" error will initiate the download.For some reason Google Chrome DOES support FTP, but doesn't know what to do with the ftp:// prefix :S
Hi guys,Old thread I'm dredging up, but has this been revisited at all lately? I've found Chrome now surpasses Firefox in a lot of areas*, and I have tested that it does properly handle the ftp:// prefix as well. Yet still a problem remains with downloading from Avsim. Since Chrome has grown to over 10% market share pretty quickly I would love to see some more compatibility testing :-) *It now has ad-block, noscript, etc, etc and can render video MUCH better than FF, just as a few points of note.Denny