Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

WIN 7 Dual Boot and FSX

I'm just set up a dual boot WIN7RC on its separate HDD. Is there a way I can install FSX to the WIN7 drive but modify the installation so I can have it refer back to my WIN XP installation for scenery files, addon aircraft, etc? I'd like to avoid duplicating most of my very large FSX installation on the WIN 7 drive if it isn't necessary. I suspect some modifications to the new fsx.cfg file might do it. Am I going on the right direction? Thanks

I'm just set up a dual boot WIN7RC on its separate HDD. Is there a way I can install FSX to the WIN7 drive but modify the installation so I can have it refer back to my WIN XP installation for scenery files, addon aircraft, etc? I'd like to avoid duplicating most of my very large FSX installation on the WIN 7 drive if it isn't necessary. I suspect some modifications to the new fsx.cfg file might do it. Am I going on the right direction? Thanks
Addon scenery can be anywhere on your system provided that it is active in the scenery.cfg file. I couldn't answer for aircraft or other elements.

I couldn't answer for aircraft or other elements.
Add-on aircraft can also be placed anywhere on your system. Use the SimObjectPaths variables in the FSX.CFG.In fact, your whole FSX installation can be shared between both OS. The only requirement is that it has been installed to the same folder in both OS's to ensure the correct registry entries are added.

The way I did this was to first rename my original FSX folder (e.g. from E:\FSX to E:\FSXoriginal), and then install under Win7, directing it to the exact same folder name (E:\FSX). Run it. Install SP1 ad SP2 (or Acceleration). Run it.Then rename the new "virgin" installation folder FSXdefault, or something useful, and rename the saved FSXoriginal back to FSX. You could delete the new one if you are short of space, but I always find having an original copy handy as a backup of essential files.Then copy over the FSX folders in the original OpSystem's Documents and Settings places (there are two lots -- one under your logon name, one for all users) -- in Vista and Win7 these are in the Users\AppData (or is it ProgramData?) and the main ProgramData folders, respectively (sorry, I am typing this from memory -- this PC is WinXP -- but i can check my dual boot Vista/Win7 PC later if you cannot find things).Bingo. That's it. You're done. You'll need to activate FSX again of course. But everything that was set up on the original will be the same in Win7.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hmmm - Pete - are you sure about Acceleration?I had the same type of dual boot using XP and Vista and it would not work when I installed Acceleration. If I activated Acceleration under XP the activation would bomb under Vista and vice versa. I have not tried it with W7.Without Acceleration and just using FSX + SP2, everything worked fine on the dual boot.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hmmm - Pete - are you sure about Acceleration?
Yup, absolutely.
I had the same type of dual boot using XP and Vista and it would not work when I installed Acceleration. If I activated Acceleration under XP the activation would bomb under Vista and vice versa. I have not tried it with W7. Without Acceleration and just using FSX + SP2, everything worked fine on the dual boot.
Sorry, no idea how that could happen - how is one activation aware of the other when all of the Windows stuff, registry and the like, is completely separate?It was never a problem here. Sorry, don't know what to suggest -- but I've never dual booted Vista and XP on my flying PCs, because I've only ever used the 64-bit O/S's on them and I wouldn't go for XP 64 (lack of drivers for my kit, apart from its poor reputation).RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Puzzling - no matter tho, I scrapped the dual boot for different reasons.I installed FSX/Accel on it's own HD under XP and activated. The booted into Vista, installed OVER the other to set up the registry and activated. When I rebooted into XP - got an activation error from acceleration.Another one of many computer mysteries that shall remain unsolved! :)Glad to know it DOES work though.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors