Sign in to follow this  
davidv

Windows 7 64 bit and the JS41

It appears I may have spoken too soon... there's something weird going on related to UAC in the Win7 RTM. If you leave it on at defaults everything works fine, but if it's turned to the lowest setting (which I was assuming was the same thing as disabling it was in Vista) then some strange issues start up with the J41 we're testing... No one's completely sure what's causing it just yet, so I would recommend people just leave UAC set to the default on position. It's not very intrusive like it was in Vista now actually and I haven't had any issues with it on. When I installed FSX and J41 with UAC set to off though, it required a reformat to get the issue to go away, just turning UAC back on and reinstalling FSX didn't fix it...I'll post more information as we figure this out, but anyone buying the J41 when we release it should be aware of this and keep UAC on when installing the plane.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It appears I may have spoken too soon... there's something weird going on related to UAC in the Win7 RTM. If you leave it on at defaults everything works fine, but if it's turned to the lowest setting (which I was assuming was the same thing as disabling it was in Vista) then some strange issues start up with the J41 we're testing... No one's completely sure what's causing it just yet, so I would recommend people just leave UAC set to the default on position. It's not very intrusive like it was in Vista now actually and I haven't had any issues with it on. When I installed FSX and J41 with UAC set to off though, it required a reformat to get the issue to go away, just turning UAC back on and reinstalling FSX didn't fix it...I'll post more information as we figure this out, but anyone buying the J41 when we release it should be aware of this and keep UAC on when installing the plane.
This is a known issue since UAC has been introduced. Going all the way back to my Vista Beta days I've found without a doubt that with Flight Simulator and its addons you either have to start installing everything with UAC ON and use "run as administrator" for everything or start with a clean system with UAC Off and never turn it on. Every time you turn off or turn down UAC in either Vista or Windows 7 (RTM - Technet) you will get strange anomalies with addons and FS. So the advice for everyone is that if you never want to use UAC, then install FS and your addons from scratch with it off. If UAC doesn't bother you (its not very intrusive in Windows 7 or Vista latest SP) then simply make sure to run all your addons as "run as administator - even if you are logged in as administrator" and you will be good to go and never have an issue.The J41 is not the only addon that will experience this problem. This is due in part to either the addon's anti-piracy measures or to the way the addons must make writes and / or access to FS .cfg and .dll files. If you install any addons with UAC off and then don't run it as administrator, Windows will block the program from accessing needed FS library or cfg files if you turn UAC on and EVEN if you run as administrator. The same is the reverse, if you try to run with UAC off but installed with UAC on, the read / write permissions don't jive properly and the addon may fail. Hope this makes sense. Remember, it is not unusual for FS addons to trigger anti-virus and anti-malware alerts even though its just behaving innocently due to the way addons must interact with FS. In a vast many cases Windows 7 and Vista sees this innocent interaction as a malicious act and will prevent the library read / write or cfg file read / write / creation with UAC off or not overridden with UAC on.

The first thing I did when I got Windows 7 running was turn UAC off - should I just leave it off for good then (what I planned on doing anyways), or should I just format now and reinstall everything with UAC on?