Sign in to follow this  
davidv

Windows 7 64 bit and the JS41

Though I'm sure there's no official support for this, I'll be on my own in doing it, yada yada yada is there any reason the JS-41 wouldn't work in Windows 7 RC1 64bit? I've heard that many Win XP programs that never worked in Vista work just fine in Windows 7 including many flightsim addons, and I'd like to switch to a 64 bit OS, but hate Vista with a passion.Is anyone here running Win7 64bit that can comment on if they've had any compatibility issues with FSX addons? Has the JS-41 been tested with Windows 7 RC1 at all? (I'm aware its still technically a beta product so any testing would be preliminary, no guaranteed results etc.)Anyhow any helpful response would be appreciated, thanks.

Ryan is running W7 64 and has not mentioned any thing in the testing we are doing. I wouldn't expect a problem either, are not the 32b apps blind to this issue anyway?

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm running Win7 64 bit and have had no issues.

Good to hear and thanks for the reply. Just installed Windows 7 now, wow does it run smooth so far. Now on to see how FSX runs lol.

Guest Jack_BCN87

well, i been running win 7 64 bit for the past few months, and one of the first things i did was load up FSX and all my fancy planes.first thing i noticed was i had some problems with a few of them, particularly the aerosoft Catalina, it crashed FSX.on top of that, i couldn't get any of the vatsim clients to work properly. so i basically stopped playing FSX.love win 7 , and the 64 bit os is perfect.so thats what i had to add. in the end tho, i bought x-plane, which runs flawlessly.Jack.

I've been running with vista 64bit for over a year and windows7 64bit since early beta. All i can say is that i've never had any real problems to date and win7 seem s to me to run everything so much smoother. 64bit is the way to go. As for the above posters commets about vatism not working, well its well documented and very easy to fix. I use it all the time without problem.I would not hesitate to move to w7 64 bit (hence why i have 3 copies on pre order!)Dan

when the game is loaded on windows 7,how do uget rid of the task bar below?that sorta ruins the game.
Either set the taskbar to autohide or run in full screen.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I've heard that many Win XP programs that never worked in Vista work just fine in Windows 7
Vista 64-bit user here - no problems with anything. If it runs on Win XP and is not 16-bit, no probs.Both DEP and UAC are disabled however. DEP is incompatible with some apps simply through the way they are written, and UAC is nothing but a PITA.Currently running XP graphics drivers in Win 7 x86 RC, and FSX is performing faster than under XP or Vista.Best regards,Robin.

What's DEP and how do I disable it?I got FSX, acceleration etc. installed last night and wow does it run nice. I'm seeing 60 fps and jumps into the 90s at times and the lows are 25 fps or so. Before it was lows of 18 highs of 45. I locked it at 40 and it stays there almost all the time. Quite happy with the results. Now all I need is a JS-41 :(

DEP = Data Execution Prevention, it's a method of preventing certain types of malware from infecting a machine. I do not recommend disabling it unless you're having issues that require it. UAC also doesn't seem to be a problem in Win 7 either, it's much less intrusive than it was in Vista and I've left it enabled without any issues.The DEP setting is at Computer/Properties/Advanced System Settings/Performance/ and is the third tab over in that window.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The other option is to type the following exactly as written into RUN or a command window (note carefully the use of braces, not brackets) then reboot:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To re-enable DEP, just replace AlwaysOff with AlwaysOn.Best regards,Robin.

ok, i'll just leave it on for now.Put my old FSX.cfg file back in with the tweaks - seeing 100 fps + in the default 172 now, this is nuts.

Guest Thaellar

64-bit is the new standard (or will be by Xmas) as most new computers capable of running FSX come with at least 4 GB of RAM and Vista 64 Home installed (many with Win7 upgrade coupon). Developers know this and will ignore it at their peril. Win32 will die a slow death over the next couple years.Buying a computer with 32-bit Vista/Win 7 is a huge mistake. Thaellar

Guest ziporama

I installed Windows 7 64 over the weekend - I have had no problems with any application software attempted yet except for as posted here.I think that if you've already solved the up conversion issues from 32 bit to 64 bit already, you're good to go. The only issues seem to be with device or kernel level drivers that need to change, and some of the older stuff is not supported in a 64 bit environment. Etienne