Sign in to follow this  
chris41

Changing the PMDG 737-800/900 radius

If you change the radius of the 737-800/900--will this change the aircrafts performance or cause other problems? The reason I ask is that I read (I think it was in the afcad manual or a "tips and tricks" newsletter that used to go out) that by changing the aircraft radius and, using afcad, changing a specific parking spot radius to match it (using a number lower than any other aircraft used by fs9)--ground control, upon landing, would direct you to that spot every time. I have done that in my posky 737-900 which I used to fly before getting the pdmg 737-900 and it did always work. I am somewhat worried about changing the radius of the pdmg because of the complexity and work that has been put into it, particularly with the use of the FMC which the posky did not have. Thanks,Chris

The afcad file has no effect on the pmdg simulation, one is a scenery file the other is an aircraft object. I can't help with the default ATC.

Dan Downs KCRP

The afcad file has no effect on the pmdg simulation, one is a scenery file the other is an aircraft object. I can't help with the default ATC.
What if I change the radius of the aircraft itself...will this effect the aircraft in any way?Thanks,Chris

What if I change the radius of the aircraft itself...
Which radius are you talking about??

Which radius are you talking about??
wing tip to wing tip, nose to tailI believe AFCAD program works in sinc with fs9 default atc. Both look at the radius of each aircraft in determining what aircraft can park at whichever gate depending on the radius of each parking spot (I think I wrote that correctly). There is another program out there that scans all the aircraft you have (including ai) and shows what the aircraft radius is for each--you can then change this depending on your preference.Thanks,Chris

wing tip to wing tip, nose to tailI believe AFCAD program works in sinc with fs9 default atc. Both look at the radius of each aircraft in determining what aircraft can park at whichever gate depending on the radius of each parking spot (I think I wrote that correctly). There is another program out there that scans all the aircraft you have (including ai) and shows what the aircraft radius is for each--you can then change this depending on your preference.Thanks,Chris
Well the PMDG guys will give the definitive answer but let's use a bit of common sense, shall we? Here you have an aircraft model that has been painstakingly designed using real data from Boeing, which includes all external dimensions. It seems to me that if you start delving into the aircraft config file and change any of the data contained in it, that you run the risk of affecting the performance compared with what was intended by PMDG. :(Iain Smith

wing tip to wing tip, nose to tail
I would call them dimensions, not radiuses.I believe that actual dimensions of aircraft have nothing to do (in MSFS) with its flying abilities - it is for the looks only. You may end up with a weird looking monster but it is not going affect its air file. But I would simply try and test what happens (make sure to test it under MTOW and practically empty).

Matt, I think he is talking about the parking radaii that the airport scenery contains for each parking spot. Two different dogs here, he can change that value to anything he wants and it won't bother the pmdg aircraft. Now whether or not it fixes the parking glitch he has with MS ATC is the other dog... doubt that dog can be taught new tricks.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you change the radius of your aircraft (maybe this is the parking radius each aircraft is given to let fs9 default atc know what aircraft can park in what spot) to a number lower than any other aircraft on fs and use the AFCAD program and make a particular parking spot with that same number, atc will, upon landing, assign you to that spot. No other aircraft on fs will be parked there or assigned there because the radius of all the other aircraft are too big to fit in that one spot. Chris

Guest ironhorsmn

Check out: Creating VIP Parking for Commercial Airliners in FS2004An Illustrated Guidecompiled byDavid

Thanks, I remember now. Couldn't remember where I had learned that "trick". It does work well. I'll try it in the pmdg. I found the program to change aircraft radius on my downloads disc.ThanksChris