Sign in to follow this  
Spidierox

2D or not 2D that's the J41 question

hi,i was wondering if there could be a demo version released for the J41.The thing is that I usually fly in VC with 2D panel dragged over to another monitor.(my setup is tripleHead2GO = 3x 19" monitor + 1 additional 17" monitor, and TrackIR)The thing that worries me is that setting switches and dials are difficult in VC whenusing Track IR due to movement of the head, bounces in fe. bad weather etc...On the other hand the qualtity of the dials / indicators, instrument etc... seems like nothing elseI have seen before making me believe it might just be possible to fly VC only.That is why I am wondering if there could be a demo (or something simular like a version full active for 30 min or so....)so we can actually see how it works out....or maybe other idea ?

....The thing that worries me is that setting switches and dials are difficult in VC whenusing Track IR due to movement of the head, bounces in fe. bad weather etc...
I get round the unwanted head movement in such situations by pausing TrackIR. I've mapped the pause function to my mouse wheel button so that all I need to do when I want to flip a switch is to middle click followed by left or right click as appropriate. Middle click again and head movement is resumed. It quickly became second nature to me and makes TrackIR much less frustrating to use.Andy L

They'll never release a demo version. Far too easy for a@$ H&ol#s (pirates) to rip off. I think this will be one of the best VC's ever built for FS. Look forward to her release.Blake

hi,i was wondering if there could be a demo version released for the J41.The thing is that I usually fly in VC with 2D panel dragged over to another monitor.(my setup is tripleHead2GO = 3x 19" monitor + 1 additional 17" monitor, and TrackIR)The thing that worries me is that setting switches and dials are difficult in VC whenusing Track IR due to movement of the head, bounces in fe. bad weather etc...On the other hand the qualtity of the dials / indicators, instrument etc... seems like nothing elseI have seen before making me believe it might just be possible to fly VC only.That is why I am wondering if there could be a demo (or something simular like a version full active for 30 min or so....)so we can actually see how it works out....or maybe other idea ?
I prefer VC for actual flying, but 2D for button pushing. Typically, I'll T/O and APPR in VC and most of the rest in 2D. My one "knock" on the MD-11 is the complexity of the systems and the various sub-panels makes it hard to fly in VC. Not a knock on PMDG, more a knock on MD for designing such a complicated bird.As for the J41, I think Dan had a post about how he's flying the J41 in VC a lot with the "Mouse zoom" option so he can zoom in on section of the panel he wants to use. Search for that post

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I have been a 2D guy forever. I've always preferred it to the VC. In the past, I've found that VC gauge movement is notchy, textures unconvincing, 3d geometry too simple, etc...In the J41, I have converted seemlessly and effortlessly into VC flying. I'll never look back.The VC gauges are smoooooooooth, the textures amazing, and the 3d geometry sufficient to rival that of static 2D views. Being VC only should not be a reason for someone not to get the J41. Seriously.If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the FMS is placed near the FO's left knee, and is therefore hard to reach and see. However, that's how it is in the real airplane too. You'd laugh if you ever saw the gymnastics required for the Captain to program a late runway change into the FMS while the F/O is the PF and has his hands on the power levers.Thankfully, the PMDG bird comes with a 3D FMS popup that alleviates this.Nick

Just wondering did anyone remember the old Wilco A320 PIC for FS2002? That plane didn't have a 2D panel either and it bombed on the market because most people those days don't have computers powerful enough to run the VC smoothly during all phases of flight. It was also rather buggy.

The thing that worries me is that setting switches and dials are difficult in VC whenusing Track IR due to movement of the head, bounces in fe. bad weather etc...On the other hand the qualtity of the dials / indicators, instrument etc... seems like nothing elseI have seen before making me believe it might just be possible to fly VC only.
I don't have any problems using VC's with track IR. Don't need to pause it either... just hold your head steady. If it moves around that much, you most definitely have sensitivity set too high. I was a 2D guy in FS9 because the texture resolution just wasn't there... but in FSX, there are countless beautifully constructed VC's. Visually, the J41 looks to be up there with some of the best.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png