Sign in to follow this  
Guest KHAOS

What's the hardest part of the J41 for you to learn?

Guest KHAOS

I dunno bout you guys, but the FMS is throwing me for a loop. I've managed to build my own flight plans just fine so far, but it's such a different animal to get used to vs. the MD-11 and the Boeing systems. When I hopped in the MD-11, using the FMS was very natural to me...now I get into the J41 and feel like such a tool 'cause I am still fumbling my way around learning it. Everything else is a snap. I've only fried one engine, and my landings have been pretty good. This thing is such an incredible joy to hand-fly, it's surreal. I didn't even use the A/P until my 5th flight or so. Speed management is a dream; it's so stable at holding an airspeed. Although one time I had the CAP muted, and adjusted my power settings just a bit and forgot to watch the PFD...I went into overspeed just barely and the thing broke apart in an awful hurry. So what've you guys had a hard time with? I can already hear the roar: "I CAN'T EVEN START THE DAMN THING!" :(This really is a pilot's plane. This is the challenge I was looking for.

Guest yankeesji

The FMS is killing me...I'm struggling bad with it :) Hopefully somebody will make a video soon! Hint hint guys :)

Just getting it loaded in the sim. So many hoops to jump through it's kind of ridiculous. -Alex

Guest realatp

ya deffently confused with the FMS myself. I can nail the Airbus 766 744 MD11 no problem, but this little son of a ###### is hard!!! O well at least we have one.J T COLLINS

Guest yankeesji
ya deffently confused with the FMS myself. I can nail the Airbus 766 744 MD11 no problem, but this little son of a ###### is hard!!! O well at least we have one.
No kidding...Those mentioned make some sense, but this little guy is kicking my butt!

Which part of the FMS are you guys having problems with?And to answer the question, my biggest problem was getting used to manually controlling the throttles. Even now I still occasionally forget to add power when I level off after descending. :(

The FMS is actually fairly simple in comparison to the MD-11. It took me a few minutes to figure out since with the MD-11 I just import stock FSX flight plans and the J41 won't let you do that. I still build my flight plans with FSX though. I just print out the Nav Log, and if you look at the first column you have all your waypoints. Second column is the airway. When you initialize the FMS and put in your destination, then put in your first waypoint, and then input the airway next to that waypoint. Then it will bring up a list of all the waypoints on that airway and you just have to highlight the last waypoint on that airway that you wish to exit at. Then just keep inputting the initial waypoint/airway and selecting the exit point till you get near your destination. Then of course set up your STAR and approach. Doing the tutorial flight really helped me with this.. even if you don't actually do the flight reading it helps as well. The first flight plan I programmed by myself I used the tutorial as a guide and it ensured I was able to activate it properly. Just be sure after you take off to hit the direct to waypoint button on the left side so it can plot a course from your current position to that first waypoint. Otherwise the LNAV doesn't work. Flew in circles for awhile reading like crazy till I figured that out. :(

Just be sure after you take off to hit the direct to waypoint button on the left side so it can plot a course from your current position to that first waypoint. Otherwise the LNAV doesn't work.
If you follow the tutorial, there is a step 4) on page 47 where you activate navigation on the first leg of your flight plan. If you do that, you don't have to use the direct key.

yeah, the fms is kind of strange to me as well - had just some "simple" problems with the md-11 fmc. But on the weekend i'll try to get more experience in it. Trying to produce own flights.

The hardest part for me was and is managing the throttle manually - i am soooo used to A/Throttle of nearly every plane i've got, so it is hard to relearn that.Oh and i often forget to reduce RPM to 96-98% after Takeoff. One time I tulled the RPM to 90% by mistake and both enigned got burned @ 3000 ft AGLHad to glide the bird to a controlled collission :(yeah I like this plane really :(

The FMC is quite simple after you get used to it, my biggest trouble was starting the engines and as I'm doing short flights between porto santo and madeira sometimes I don't stop the engines correctly and I've had some troubles to start the engines after i've stopped them lol.

Guest Jimmatc

Descent management. I'm used to free turbine turboprops, so if I'm downwind on a STAR, at 5000' AGL and see a hole for a visual approach, I just haul the power back, increase my prop pitch, and let those two big brakes on the wings sort me out as I turn base.Not so with the Garrett! I've wound up way too high on several visual approaches. Even fully configured at flight idle power you don't have much of a steep approach going on. So now, if there's any possibility of getting a visual, I ensure I am right at the lowest altitude limits of the STAR. Even so, I ain't turning final much closer than 5nm.

Has anybody tried to pull RPM back to taxi during short final (about 1-2 nm before touch down) Are the Engines burnig up then too?

Guest Jimmatc
Has anybody tried to pull RPM back to taxi during short final (about 1-2 nm before touch down) Are the Engines burnig up then too?
Ouch! I'd certainly say so. But hey! Might be fun!I've heard of "bush flying" B190 pilots going into beta in the flare, but they're running PT6's.

Pulling condition levers back in short final ?? The procedure is exactly the opposite.FYI : Anytime you reduce RPM the EGT will rise (reduced airflow through the engine) and vice versa. Burning depends on time, amount of EGT limit exceedance and a probabilistic parameter. For small values of EGT exceedance the TTL (Torque Temperature Limiting) system will try to save you (green light on top of engine instrument quadrant indicates automatic operation of TTL). TTL operation is limited to 15% fuel shedding and it is slow-ish.Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================