Sign in to follow this  
VaclavLoubek

FS9 - will GPU upgrade increase performance

I do not know Your GPU at FSX, but remember my 3870 times. Everything was smooth (40-60fps) until overcast/broken sky. The fps drops to 16-18 at maximum, no matter the airport (but only, when clouds were on LCD displays).I have changed to GTX280 and have stable frames, no matter the skies.Still, at busy airports, when in big iron, fps is halve of the normal rate.In my opinion, with fast CPU (like Yours) You should have 9800GTX+ at minimum. If You can afford, go for GTX285.

I do not know Your GPU at FSX, but remember my 3870 times. Everything was smooth (40-60fps) until overcast/broken sky. The fps drops to 16-18 at maximum, no matter the airport (but only, when clouds were on LCD displays).I have changed to GTX280 and have stable frames, no matter the skies.Still, at busy airports, when in big iron, fps is halve of the normal rate.In my opinion, with fast CPU (like Yours) You should have 9800GTX+ at minimum. If You can afford, go for GTX285.
Thank you for your advice. I am running FS9 as I stated. Have been trying FSX several times but I simply wasn

Your CPU seems fine so I don't think there'll be any bottle necking issues so you should be good to go :).Cheers

320MB is not a large enough frame buffer for such a high resolution with any game made in the last 5 years or so.

Hi again. Thank you all for your advice. I did some more research this mornig and found out the problem itself is in sceneries. In Mega Airport Frankfurt 2008 by Aerosoft I get only 15 - 20 fps and when I switch to eg. WSSS by Samsoft (with a lot of custom autogen buildings in the city) or YSSY by CLS I get 40 - 50 fps. I wonder what went wrong with MAF2008... :(

Those add-on sceneries have higher resolution textures and more scenery objects, which overflow your framebuffer. You need a video card with more video RAM.

Those add-on sceneries have higher resolution textures and more scenery objects, which overflow your framebuffer. You need a video card with more video RAM.
Thank you. Then I will go to my supplier and grab a GTX260 with 896 MB video RAM. Do you think it is enough?

Thank you. Then I will go to my supplier and grab a GTX260 with 896 MB video RAM. Do you think it is enough?
Absolutely.

How about a EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW? It's cheaper then a 285, but still kicks @ss. I'm thinking of upgrading my 8800GT to this card, so I can use more AA, AF settings. 'specially since I only run at 1920x1200 resolution.Any thoughts on this card?

Question: What's your experiance with a GTX275 (FTW or not) compared to a GTX280 when running 1920x1200 @32bit on a 24" monitor and having AA/AF @ high settings?Will any GTX280 outrun a 275 because of the availability of 1GB RAM compared to the 896MB on a GTX275?A GTX275 FTW cost