Sign in to follow this  
fushi

Again, MD-11 Polar Operation

Dear Michael,You said last year as below:

Other than the change to TRU mode the polar navigation functionality is not implemented in the current version of the MD-11. It was on our list but didn't make it for the release version. We add it in the next update. I am not sure if FSX has overcome the pole crossing problems that FS9 exhibited, but we will check that as well.
I have been disappointed that I couldn't find the addition in the update of PMDGMD11_FSX_Update_v1.20.0055.zip. The LH captain Karl-Peter Ritter has mentioned the Polar Navigation between before 2nm and after 10nm of the Noth Pole on the real MD-11 in his book 'Northbound Lady' Mit dem letzten grofsen Trijet nach Alaska.Practically, I'm flying PMDG MD-11 with manual operation between 2nm before and 10nm after the Pole right now. I am look forward to implementation of the Polar Navigation (FMS.100.32) functionality someday. Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Hi,I've flown over the pole (IRS2 = N9000.0/W16335.3, IRS3 = N9000.0/W16335.2 a few seconds later).No idea what it is doing right now - it is trying to fly back to the pole.Routing:ENSBN9000.0/E01536.0 (or so; same Lon as airport anyway)N8500.0/W16524.0 (180

Guest BlueRidgeDx
According to Boeing, "The MD-11 FMS is considered to be in the polar region when the airplane is above 85 deg north or south latitude". You should not be attempting to fly directly over the pole. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagaz...olar_story.html
Actually, in the article you linked, there is another link that describes in detail the MD-11 procedure for flying directly over the pole.The article you linked to only points out that above 85 degrees, you are considered to be in the Polar Region. Nothing more.Regards,Nick

The MD-11 *should* go into polar transit mode 2 nm before the pole and revert to NAV 10 nm after it, for over-the-pole navigation. It seems that currently this mode is not modelled, although it will successfully transit the pole.Best regards,Robin.

You should not be attempting to fly directly over the pole.
Why not? Are there any black holes to suck you in? Or monstrous dragons to sweep you by their tails?And what does "directly" really mean? Is 200 yards sufficiently far enough? Or if 200 yards is too close is 220 good enough?I am only pointing out some statements could lead to absurdity.

Hello Robin,Thanks, I have been routing over the North Pole modified Ritter's route ESGG - NP - PAFA as below:ESGGN7300.0/E02000.0N8958.0/E02000.0N8950.0/W16000.0N7300.0/W16000.0PAFASincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Perhaps I am way off the mark here, but wasn't there something about FS not modelling the polar regions properly?Andrew

Why not? Are there any black holes to suck you in? Or monstrous dragons to sweep you by their tails?And what does "directly" really mean? Is 200 yards sufficiently far enough? Or if 200 yards is too close is 220 good enough?I am only pointing out some statements could lead to absurdity.
You demonstrate that quite well.

Perhaps I am way off the mark here, but wasn't there something about FS not modelling the polar regions properly?Andrew
Scenery-wise, FSX goes quite weird at the poles, but as far as I'm aware, in terms of actually flying it is fine.Best regards,Robin.

Hi,in 2002 I had the pleasure to fly over the pole in RW - not very exciting. . .actually we missed the pole - N85W060 was the closest.2 snapshots attached - quality is rather poor - I have a better camera now . . .Studying the chartsnear 85N

Nice!!!A question for you - having flown near the pole, can you remember what happened to the compass on the ND? When I flew in FSX the compass was reversed for the rest of the flight. I couldn't see a way of re-calibrating it.@fushi: Thank you for the route!Best regards,Robin.