Sign in to follow this  
lkcdegooijer

FSX freezes randomly

Apologies for bringing up an old topic, not sure if it could be classed as relevant, I know from reading the topic that most people are looking at the hardware and operating software as a likely culprit.

I also have this aforementioned random pause and subsequent recovery a minute or so later.

My PC specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (3.2Ghz, not overclocked since windows re-install)

Asus M2N68 AM2 motherboard (also compatible with AM2+ & AM3 processors)

8GB of RAM (unsure of specs)

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 Gfx Card (ATI)

Seagate Baracuda 1TB hard drive (Primary Windows HD)

Western Digital 500GB hard drive (FSX Main Drive)

Western Digital 250GB hard drive (FSX Software Storage Drive)

What I have discovered (though not tested as of yet) is on my registered FSUIPC for FSX, I have the 'Auto Save' setting checked, and set to save every 5 minutes, and I could even count down the duration from the previous pause to the next via my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke clock. At first I thought it was too much of a coincidence, as I initially thought it was my REX software (also set to inject every 5 min) but I noticed that it would inject approx 1.3 min after the pause (every pause) so that was ruled out.

So I'm beginning to wonder if its the 'Auto Save' feature built into FSUIPC, I only have just set this since re-installing Windows and FSX, and I noticed while undertaking a flight from EGLL to ZSPD, during flight, and just before touchdown, I've had consistent pauses, it hung for 30ish seconds, then resumed. After successfully touching down, and started to taxi to stand, and all in this time, I'm counting down to the next pause....... 2, 3 then 4 minutes pass after the 5 minute countdown ends, and no pause what so ever.

How many other people here use the 'Auto Save' function? Has anyone even thought of this?

How many other people here use the 'Auto Save' function? Has anyone even thought of this?

I have mine turned off.  Believe it is off by default:

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60
Files=10
SaveOnGround=No
AutoSaveEnabled=No

If I have a crash during a flight, I will usually save a copy of the fsuipc.log and name it according to the flightplan I was using.  It provides some good information about a crash and lets you know if you are running low on memory.  This is why I have the log on my desktop.  After a flight I can just click on the icon and open up the log and see if there were any errors reported (plus check up on my average fps during the flight).  This might be causing temporary freezes but there are a lot of other programs/services running in the background during a flight it would be hard to pinpoint.

Thanks for the info though.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Whereabouts will I find this log?

Not currently sat at the PC at the moment, but will have a look this evening, and more out of curiosity, find out if my suspicions are confirmed.

I wonder if the duration of 'Auto Save' is set high, will the pause be less likely, but for a longer duration?

Whereabouts will I find this log?

It is located in the FSX/Modules folder.  Just right click the log and select Send to desktop.

The FSUIPC.log will be overwritten each time you start up FSX and start a new session.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10