Sign in to follow this  
2wheelsup

How can I use API models in FS9?

I have some old API models that I would like to use in FS9. Is there anyway I can use them in FS9 without Airport for Windows. I can't find AFW anywhere.I've tried using sbuilder and just get an error when I try to compile.Any ideas?Thanks,Alan

I have some old API models that I would like to use in FS9. Is there anyway I can use them in FS9 without Airport for Windows. I can't find AFW anywhere.I've tried using sbuilder and just get an error when I try to compile.Any ideas?Thanks,Alan
Take a look at ModelConvertXhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Never played with API models, but I think SceneGenX will do pretty much what Airport for Windows did, but for FS9.scott s..

Time to move on, Alan. If you mastered AFW you can learn SceneGenX. Although AFW was good in its day, SceneGenX has far greater functionality and is easier to use. My guess is that time spent doing that will serve you better in the long run than learning how to convert old models.

Supporter.png

John

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll try SceneGenX and then I'll see if I can master GMax if I can't get it to work.Alan

Hi,

Time to move on, Alan. If you mastered AFW you can learn SceneGenX. Although AFW was good in its day, SceneGenX has far greater functionality and is easier to use. My guess is that time spent doing that will serve you better in the long run than learning how to convert old models.
I think it is still worth converting those old models from API macro to the modern MDL format. That is exactly why I made ModelConverterX (mentioned before already). Doing such a conversion also results in better performance in most cases, compared to using the older API macros in FS2004.If you only want to place objects and not design a complete airport, than tools like Rwy12 or ObPlacer XML might also be useful to you. They allow you to place objects using the FS2004 BGLComp XML code.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi,I think it is still worth converting those old models from API macro to the modern MDL format. That is exactly why I made ModelConverterX (mentioned before already). Doing such a conversion also results in better performance in most cases, compared to using the older API macros in FS2004.If you only want to place objects and not design a complete airport, than tools like Rwy12 or ObPlacer XML might also be useful to you. They allow you to place objects using the FS2004 BGLComp XML code.
Thanks Arno I'll give it a try.