Sign in to follow this  
Guest A321

"NEW" ? revalations about FS2004

Hi,I have just read an interview with Bruce Williams about FS2004, and I noticed a few thing's that I have not heard before1) "there are no different sets of autogen objects for other regions of the world", I thought Autogen was going to be area specific2) "Because Meigs Field is closed now, the default will be Seattle. That

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Where did you read this?I would like to read this

though i hate to say this i am sure that some enterprising hacker will find a way around this safedisk...Proberly some one will come up with a crack patch so you dont have to have a extremly noisy CD-Drive running non-stop in the background...Mine sounds like a 747 running up its engins :)

It won't need to have the disk running all the time... it just checks it on program boot up. also FS 2000 needed the cd in so it's no biggie for me.Brian

Yeah, its not really a major problem, but it is just a pain in the arse."oh I know, I'll have a quick fly, double-click FS2004 shortcut, DONG please insert disk, oh balls where have I put that disk, 5 mins later found it, daughter had used it as a coaster, put disk in, there is a disk error, arrrghhhh, quick fly turns in to a total nightmare".:)Dan.

Guys dont take this the wrong way, but You can avoid the problem if you have the Hard Disk space. There is program called Alcohol 120% which you can use to back the paly disc up to your hard drive. It will then allow you to mount the image on a virtual drive it creates, Hence you can play of your hard drive have faster load times, and not have to keep putting the disc in. It knows how to copy the disc so that safedisc dosent even know its not playing from the real CD. I used it all the time. Its not free it costs about

Worried?, not at all, annoyed, yes, it is a pain, I know I could use a virtual drive, but why should I spend

This is exactly why I have a 5 disc cd changer in my gaming computer. It just sits there taking up on SCSI ID and waits for the game to need the disc. Sucker was expensive 5 years ago when I bought it, but has paid for itself in the lack of frustration. Now the only problem is, I'll now have 6 games that need the disc to be in the computer. Have to buy another one.Jim

My only problem with needing the cd in the drive, is that the cd's should then come in a nice jewel case like fs2000. I didn't mind fs2002's cardboard cd case, but only because you didn't need the cd to play. Well, if not, I'm sure I still have my fs2000 case laying around somewhere :)

>This is exactly why I have a 5 disc cd changer in my gaming>computer. It just sits there taking up on SCSI ID and waits>for the game to need the disc. Sucker was expensive 5 years>ago when I bought it, but has paid for itself in the lack of>frustration. Now the only problem is, I'll now have 6 games>that need the disc to be in the computer. Have to buy another>one.Ha! I have a Pioneer 5 CD changer (SCSI) that's been sitting around since the old BBS days. Expensive? Yep! That bad boy was nearly a $1,000 when I bought it... :(BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

>3) "The final will also contain 4 CDs. We use SaveDisc 2.9 to protect our work from piracy and illegal copies. CD #4 must be in your drive if you wish to start FS2004" damn it I have to put the CD in every time, BOO HISS

>>3) "The final will also contain 4 CDs. We use SaveDisc 2.9>to protect our work from piracy and illegal copies. CD #4 must>be in your drive if you wish to start FS2004" damn it I have>to put the CD in every time, BOO HISS<>>We should reserve judgement on this issue until the product>hits the retail outlets and we know for sure that a CD is>required to run FS2004. Well, it was from the horse's mouth so to speak, soooo.Dan.

I have two of them! Both of them are Pioneers and are being used as door stops Bill. Maybe I should dust them off and put them back to work! As with you, from the good ol' eight node BBS days! :)

Oh man, that SUCKS. I was so happy with FS2002 not requiring a disk... My FS2000 disk broke due to overuse. :-lol So this whole CD thing is a pain and potentially a problem to run if the CD gets messed up. :(Cheers,http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12447.jpgMember of the [a href=http://ffg.avsim.net" target="_blank]Freeware Flight Group [/a]

Yeah, this all makes great sense... the company that is so concerned about piracy, but still links on their webpage to sites like FS Planet.Yepper... they're really concerned about piracy and theft.

Mine is a Nakamichi 5x16. Works great. I'm not sure if the Nakamichi is even being built any longer. Anyone have a good source for the Pioneers?SCSI cd-roms rule! All of mine are except my burner, although that will change this x-mas.JimFound the Nakamichi's on line at www.cmishop.com (do a search for Nakamichi). They have refurbished for $149 and new for $159. These are plug and play, really. I put mine in the first time, booted the computer and Windows saw them as 5 cd-roms (even without discs). These drives are discontinued, but I've been using mine with absolutely no problems for a bit over 5 years now, and never had any problems. Think I'll be buying one this weekend (payday). :-)

>Well, it was from the horse's mouth so to speak, soooo.

"And everything you see and hear on television newscasts is absolutely true.It probably IS true, every word of what Mr. Williams said about the miraculous SaveDisc 2.9 - and being a highly placed corporate type person I'm sure a lie has never passed his lips - but you won't know for certain until you have the final retail product in your hand and you try it out. That's all I'm saying, I'm not suggesting you are misinformed or whatever, just that you should take the things you hear in the media with a grain or two of salt.This reminds me why I don't participate in threads like this, I'm home with a cold today, and I think I'm going to seek a diversion from my misery elsewhere, before I manage to offend and alienate everyone from Tom Allensworth on down".Why on earth would you think that, you could not offend anyone by what you said, I never for one minute thought that you meant I was misinformed.Please continue to participate in threads like this, you seem like a down to earth person, not like some of the trolls I have seen on here.Dan

Have a look at the topic on "tin boxes" for FS2004, maybe it's the Nyquil or something but this doesn't seem to be my day for social interaction!

I heard FS2004 would come in a DVD type case. How will they fit 4 CD's in that. I wish they'd offer it both on CD and on DVD.I too hate having to have a CD in the drive to play a game, it is anoying, but safedisk is easy to crack. I feel sorry for [a href=http://members.chello.nl/~s.ferris/]this guy[/a] until the crack comes out.

Andrew Herd has a comprehensive pre release review on flightsim.com and makes no mention of this. His reviews are among the most thorough and best on the internet. If the 4th cd bootup is really required, I cannot imagine why he would not have noted this fact.Sherm