Sign in to follow this  
jjaycee1

32Bit to 64Bit question

I will be installing Windows 7 64bit in the next few days from Vista 32bit. My question is : I want to use Disk Image to copy my current HDD data etc from my current 32bit OS. Is there any problem when I want to then transfer the data back but now to a 64bit OS?

To be on the safe side, copy your files to a CD ROM disk or Flash drive/thumb drive. :(

I acctually have similar questions. I will be going from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 on my system some time this weekend. (See system spec below) My system runs great with Vista, however I constantly deal with OOM's and am hoping the 64 bit OS will rid me of that problem. I have my files backed up to an external USB hard drive. After upgrading from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64bit, will I be able to plug in that same hard drive and access my files?? If not that will complicate my upgrade process considerably...System:Alienware Area 51NVidia NForce 790I UltraIntel Q9450 2.66 ghz4 x Corsair Dominator 1 GB DDR3 1600mhzNVidia GTX280 1GBAlso what is a good processor for an upgrade on this MB? (Socket 775 I belive) I was thinking of upgrading to something more current around the 1st of the year...

I want to use Disk Image to copy my current HDD data etc from my current 32bit OS. Is there any problem when I want to then transfer the data back but now to a 64bit OS
It depends on how and what you were trying to move back. If you simply clone your C: drive to another one, after W7 is installed on the boot drive you can easily copy your data back over. (Obviously, you wouldn't use the Disk Image tool to move your information back, as that would wreak havoc on the freshly installed W7).You should NOT expect to copy any program files or applications. Only move over your data (documents, photos, music, etc...). If you are installing a clean copy of W7, you will have to reinstall all of your programs.And as jrocky says, you may wish to make a 2nd copy of all the data - just in case your finger slips and you command the installation tools to reformat all your hard drives!
I have my files backed up to an external USB hard drive. After upgrading from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64bit, will I be able to plug in that same hard drive and access my files?? If not that will complicate my upgrade process considerably...
I'm going to say without question yes. The hard drives themselves are 32/64 bit agnostic - they don't care, so long as the OS can access the drives (Which Windows7 can and certainly will with zero problems)You may want to unplug the USB drive during the W7 install process for the same reasons that jrocky mentioned as well. You can never be too safe, and once W7 is installed, just plug it back in and boom! A drive will appear in your explorer. -Greg