Sign in to follow this  
SubLogical

J41 FMS Questions

I have been unable to "add as waypoints" the RNAV fixes from a Jeppesen Chart which I have attached for viewing. These are EPLIT, RESDN, SPREA, and IPOV. I have the 0709 airac loaded but when I go to add these as a waypoint, I'm asked for their lat/longs. Other fixes shown on the V300 airway load without asking for the L/L's (these L/L's are shown on the enroute chart if you wanted them) and I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or the FMC is missing something or the airac is.These fixes load easily into the X-plane FMC so I gather it's possible.Also, is there a separate usage manual available for the J41 model of the FMC ... or is the AOM about all that's available.Many thanks,Ken Park

Other fixes shown on the V300 airway load without asking for the L/L's (these L/L's are shown on the enroute chart if you wanted them) and I'm wondering if I'm missing something,
Just a guess ...Since most of the points you want to enter belong to RNAV (GPS) approach and this aircraft/FMS is not certified for such approaches perhaps this has something to do with all the difficulty you encounter....

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I don't have an answer to the OP's question, but since the point was raised, I feel compelled to mention that the (real) J41 FMS is perfectly capable of flying RNAV approaches. The caveat is in the verbiage...it's not "certified" to do it, but it certainly "can".Ken, hopefully Kurt, Dan or Ernie can get you squared away on the waypoint issue.

Only thing I can think of is its not in the Fixes file.If it doesn't find it there, the lat/lon box will display.I don't have cycle 0709 to check, but the place to look is the 'wpNavFIX.txt' file.RegardsErnie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

You can download a real manual for tis FMS from Honeywell website. https://www.bendixking.com/PilotGuides just search for gns-xls and it should be firts from top. As for your first question I don't know.Greg Furmanski
Thanks for that link... love working with the real manuals... even if not all the functionality has been simulated...I was really surprised once how much I knew about the Garmin GNS430 from the RXP stuff when I flew in a Cessna 172 with one installed...Andrew

I think using current charts and cycle 0709 data would cause numerous problems.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can download a real manual for tis FMS from Honeywell website. https://www.bendixking.com/PilotGuides just search for gns-xls and it should be firts from top. As for your first question I don't know.Greg Furmanski
Many thanks for that link Greg ... that's a good start. Ken Park

Only thing I can think of is its not in the Fixes file.If it doesn't find it there, the lat/lon box will display.I don't have cycle 0709 to check, but the place to look is the 'wpNavFIX.txt' file.RegardsErnie.
Ernie can I trouble you to tell me where that file is likely to be found? Interestingly, I loaded an FSX flight plan into the Castlegar airport and tried to use the default GPS but couldn't get the AP to follow that ... however, the GPS proc showed the RNAV fixes when I selected that approach ... am I dealing with two different databases ...?Anyway for those pilots who haven't had a good workout lately you might want to try going into CYCG but leave your ego behind so you can find it again after the flight!!!!

It looks as though the FMS was working fine but RNAV fixes in question weren't in the airac database. For those interested, it looks as though you can use the default FS GPS in conjunction with the JS41 FMC if you install a flight plan made by FS. The PMDG flight plan controls the AP and the FS GPS provides a reference map for the flight. I think I might be noticing that the main wheel brakes cease to work after you touch the toe brakes? I'm having a tough time stopping this girl with just the toe brakes.Thanks to all for your input.Ken

Well for goodness sake, you are using data over two years old and the MSFS data is much older than that. Most of us use only current data (Cycle 0911) from Navigraph. I recommend forgetting the default GPS, get current data, download a copy of my US SIDSTAR Collection (flightsim.com file pmdg0911.zip) and use current charts. Why not?See also: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/SIDSTARS

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,I looked at Navigraph 0911 cycle.CYCG airport is there.However, the fixes Ken wants to use and the RNAV procedures are not.This airport currently has no SID/STARS defined.Ken did not mention the date on the Jepp plates he is looking at.If they are old it could account for the waypoint omissions in Airac Data.I also responded to his post on the Navigraph forum.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Dan,Maybe Ken was looking at this RNAV from 1986.CYCG-small.jpgCYCGlarge.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW