Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

How does one....?

This is something I have wondered for a long time: On GA VFR flights, How does one determine the distance you are from your destination airport when announcing your position and intention to land? Now if there is a DME at the airport or close by, that can be used to determine your distance. But what if there is no DME nav aid nearby and/or your aircraft is not equipped with a DME guage? Some of my GA craft and WWII warbirds are not so equipped and when trying to use SUPER ATC or MCE for ATC communication one is to announce that he is so many miles from the destination airport. But how can you do that?Love to hear some ideas.Jim D.

Well if you're not using any navigation like VORs, ADF, or DMEs, most will probably have a VFR chart on them...I assume you would estimate distance based on that.

The GPS works well for that - just use the NRST button and select the airport.

Well if you're not using any navigation like VORs, ADF, or DMEs, most will probably have a VFR chart on them...I assume you would estimate distance based on that.
Yes Red, I thought of that but I don't have charts for most of the areas I fly to determine this.
The GPS works well for that - just use the NRST button and select the airport.
Tom, that I didn't think of. But what if the AC has no GPS gauge? Robert Sanderson's Hawker Hurricane in the military model does not sport a GPS unit and all the Shift 1-9 keys are assigned. Now I can reasign a key or button function but I will need to add the GPS. I'll do a search on that, but do you or anyone else have a suggestion for adding the GPS?Thanks, Jim D.

Yes Red, I thought of that but I don't have charts for most of the areas I fly to determine this.Tom, that I didn't think of. But what if the AC has no GPS gauge? Robert Sanderson's Hawker Hurricane in the military model does not sport a GPS unit and all the Shift 1-9 keys are assigned. Now I can reasign a key or button function but I will need to add the GPS. I'll do a search on that, but do you or anyone else have a suggestion for adding the GPS?Thanks, Jim D.
I took care of it. I was able to add the GPS.

If you are flying Ga VFR in the UK it is compulsory to have a chart. so Fs9 has secret intructions to debit your bank account with a substantial fine.Voloiberista

Jim:A bit of old fashioned dead reckoning seems to be in order.There have been numerous posts with links to freeware charts of various kinds and unless I am mistaken, sectional reproductions are available. Try a few forum searches, and a google search for FS Charts. Many MSFS versions and years ago I purchased hard copies of "Low Altitude Enroute Charts", an "Aviation Topographic Atlas For Flight Simulation" as well as IFR charts from "Desktop Wings". I don't know if they are still in business or if these are still available, but they make a good alternative for the real thing if you are not too picky. Try a search for that publishing contributor.In addition, if you will file a VFR flight plan with flight following, chances are that ATC may tell you when to contact your destination approach or tower facility.Happy flying:RTH

Yes Red, I thought of that but I don't have charts for most of the areas I fly to determine this.Tom, that I didn't think of. But what if the AC has no GPS gauge? Robert Sanderson's Hawker Hurricane in the military model does not sport a GPS unit and all the Shift 1-9 keys are assigned. Now I can reasign a key or button function but I will need to add the GPS. I'll do a search on that, but do you or anyone else have a suggestion for adding the GPS?Thanks, Jim D.

If you are flying Ga VFR in the UK it is compulsory to have a chart. so Fs9 has secret intructions to debit your bank account with a substantial fine.Voloiberista
Thanks Voloiberista, but not to worry about my bank account as I don't fly Europe. Although I live in California, U.S. I fly mostly USA, Australia, New Zealand and the Carribean. Oh, Alaska and Hawaii (yes, I know they are part of the USA, but since they are not part of the mainland, I mention them separatley).
Jim:A bit of old fashioned dead reckoning seems to be in order.There have been numerous posts with links to freeware charts of various kinds and unless I am mistaken, sectional reproductions are available. Try a few forum searches, and a google search for FS Charts. Many MSFS versions and years ago I purchased hard copies of "Low Altitude Enroute Charts", an "Aviation Topographic Atlas For Flight Simulation" as well as IFR charts from "Desktop Wings". I don't know if they are still in business or if these are still available, but they make a good alternative for the real thing if you are not too picky. Try a search for that publishing contributor.In addition, if you will file a VFR flight plan with flight following, chances are that ATC may tell you when to contact your destination approach or tower facility.Happy flying:RTH
Thanks RTH, yes I was aware of that but I was thinking of thse flights where a Flt Pln would not be filed or asking for flight following.Now I have the GPS available.Jim D.

I fly mostly USA, Australia, New Zealand and the Carribean. Oh, Alaska and Hawaii (yes, I know they are part of the USA, but since they are not part of the mainland, I mention them separatley).
Just incase you dont know, try runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com for Canada, and all of US charts.I don't know of any source for carribean VFR charts, and dont remember them being mentioned here...so if anyone has a free source for this, I would really appreciate it.