Sign in to follow this  

FSD! Im over add-ons with anti-piracy built in.

>Oh Please. Piracy was just as rampant back when I was in>high school as it is today. So you swapped floppys with your>friends instead of downloaded them for hours. Files were>smaller, and Local BBS's made it even harder to track back>then.>And you sound as though you just got out of high school!In fact, most of the responses here, sound that way too. Very few here, seem to realize all the problems the "business side's" go through, to even keep the company going!I use to think the way you and others do. I suppose nearly everybody does for a while in life. But when it's your business and livelyhood, everything changes. Whether it's freeloading simulated aircraft, or checking flight forums on company's time............... it's cheating someone, and it's impossible to "always" presume innocence, until proven guilty. You people are going to have to "get real"..L.Adamson

Guest JonP01

>Well I guess I'am done with fsd I was going to purchase there>najavo that was coming out until this :( The funny thing is I>just emailed steve small a couple of days ago about>reactivating my registration on the commander, I didn't know>they were monitoring our ip's and os unbelieveble! I did get a>quick and nice response from steve but this is just to much>for me. I didn't buy PMDG because of there reg system now FSD>is the next. I think this anti piracy stuff has gone to far>and is now to the point of running off customers :(>>>The vendors of Turbotax actually found their profits fell noticeably after building product activation in their software. The complaints from their users were remarkably similar to the sentiments raised here.

>they become insolvant. As a result, I will not RISK my>investment in a company that may not be there tomorrow should>I find myself inadvertantly locked out of my software.>you certainly can exercise your right not to buy. I see nothing wrong with it.Michael J.

Guest SoarPics

When anti-piracy efforts intrude on the live's and privacy of honest paying customers, then the policy is doomed to fail.Sorry, FSD, you won't be seeing anymore of my money. And I'm now more than a little reluctant to purchase ANY payware. One can only wonder how many other payware producers are using the same anti-piracy techniques FSD follows.Yep... some of the great freeware contributed by the community is looking better and better.

Guest JonP01

>>Oh Please. Piracy was just as rampant back when I was in>>high school as it is today. So you swapped floppys with>your>>friends instead of downloaded them for hours. Files were>>smaller, and Local BBS's made it even harder to track back>>then.>>>And you sound as though you just got out of high school!>>In fact, most of the responses here, sound that way too. Very>few here, seem to realize all the problems the "business>side's" go through, to even keep the company going!>>I use to think the way you and others do. I suppose nearly>everybody does for a while in life. But when it's your>business and livelyhood, everything changes. Whether it's>freeloading simulated aircraft, or checking flight forums on>company's time............... it's cheating someone, and it's>impossible to "always" presume innocence, until proven guilty.>You people are going to have to "get real"..>>L.Adamson>>Hi Larry,The thing is, most people go into business to make money. For the sake of the argument lets assume this to be the case. I have never seen any conclusive evidence that product activation technology reduces revenue leakage. In fact, the only evidence I have seen is that it actually reduces profits. The real anti-piracy problem is not the "school-kid" who finds a no-CD crack or warez software on the net so they can play their illegally burned CD. Becuase in every liklihood, that same school kid would never have been prepared to fork out the retail price to legitimately use the product in the first place. It is the organised pirates who mass duplicate software and sell it for profit that is the problem. Still, whether the revenue lost to such pirates is greater than what is lost on account of lost sales to honest consumers has by no means been absolutely proven. And then there is the cost of incorporating the technology to be considered, as well as the ongoing cost of administering it.Are you saying the users of TurboTax were all school children? I had always thought the vast majority of tax payers were mature adults.

Well boys and girls we are looking at future anti piracy protection systems in action here. Machine binding is not a new thing at all. Owners of Windows XP know that all too well. I won't even touch on the methods being used by the recording, gaming, and movie industry.Bottom line is that any developer of multimedia, gameing, software, or software addons has the right to protect their products, investments, business as they deem neccessary.:-)While a department supervisor of an international corporation with approx. 150 computers in my department, I was surprised to learn from the IT guys that my MS Office 2000 upgrade on ONE computer required an INDIVIDUAL license to be purchased @ $650.00 US. I was told at that time that MS can visit anytime they choose and examine INDIVIDUAL licenses for each machine and can levy large fines and in extreme cases deny existing licenses to the corporation.All I'm trying to say is that piracy, nay THIEVERY is not being tolerated by many developers these days. The unfortunate result of of THIEVERY is that honest folks end up paying the price for the dishonesty of others either in cash or headaches as described in this thread.Why just today I received a refund request within hours of purchase where the customer trashed us and our product but kept the airplanes.While following up on this he called me a few names then arrogantly closed with "by the way nice planes"We did "kill the key" and blocked him from future purchases so he won't be too arrogant again:-)If consumers really are tired of all the headaches from anti piracy methods go shut down the thieves sites:-)Best Regards,Ron HamiltonPresidentEaglesoft Development Group

Well I was thinking of getting some FSD products, but after seeing this I am not even going to look at their site anymore. People have problems with computers, I have problems to. On my own system I have firewall protection that gives me randomly changing IP's everytime I start up. Five times limited reinstall? Give me a break, people update there computers regularly and 5 times limited reinstall is NOT ENOUGH! I've said my peace, and I hope FSD has seen this to. Shame on you FSD... x(

>Except the internet wasn't around in 1984, and now a large group of >people "sponge" whenever possible. Just look at KaZaA , or the fact >that FS2004 has already been uploaded including a hack for no CD. >This has nothing to do with the original post, but unfortunatly because of all the leaches and freeloaders out there, these methods >of anti->piracy keep coming about.................... and it >certainly IS there business!>L.AdamsonWoops forgot to mention that the Internet was availible in the late 1980's, but not to civilians. It was developed by the US Military for fast, real-time battle field data. Same with GPS, INS, all navigational aides, etc etc, have been developed by the US Military. This ended when before the first Gulf War the Navy made its NTDS (Naval Tactical Data System) and the Army and Air Force made their own, and the Internet was publically announced.

Guest JonP01

>While a department supervisor of an international corporation>with approx. 150 computers in my department, I was surprised>to learn from the IT guys that my MS Office 2000 upgrade on>ONE computer required an INDIVIDUAL license to be purchased @>$650.00 US. I was told at that time that MS can visit anytime>they choose and examine INDIVIDUAL licenses for each machine>and can levy large fines and in extreme cases deny existing>licenses to the corporation.You've lost me here. What is surprising about that? MS could come around to my house any time they wish to look at my licences. Far more preferable than product activation if you ask me. I'd even put the kettle on for them.

Guest SoarPics

Well, Ron, as a consumer who doesn't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry software developer looking into my system when I buy a product, or telling me that I only have X number of install chances, all I can say is good luck. My software key should be nothing more than my purchase receipt. The sad thing about these anti-pirate schemes is that they don't stop the pirates. All they serve to do is #### off legitimate customers. And then what will folks like you be left with... the pirates.A lock can only keep an honest man honest. Nothing else.Regards,

I suppose they could if they had the manpower:-) I was only pointing out one of the antipiracy methods used by MS. I'm sure this is not news to some but it was my first exposure to a company meaning to stop unlawful use of it's software:-)Best,Ron Hamilton

Guest SoarPics

"I suppose they could if they had the manpower"I see your point pertaining to cost, Ron. But intruding on honest customer's lives isn't a viable solution. Many developers simply don't grasp this fact.Why punish the good customers for the sins of thieves? In the end it gains the developers nothing.Cheers,Greg

Guest JonP01

>Well, Ron, as a consumer who doesn't want every Tom, Dick,>and Harry software developer looking into my system when I buy>a product, or telling me that I only have X number of install>chances, all I can say is good luck. My software key should>be nothing more than my purchase receipt. >>The sad thing about these anti-pirate schemes is that they>don't stop the pirates. All they serve to do is #### off>legitimate customers. And then what will folks like you be>left with... the pirates.>>A lock can only keep an honest man honest. Nothing else.>>Regards,>>What surprised me about Ron's post is that he waxes lyrical about defending the stance against piracy, but then he expreses surprise about MS charging $650 for an extra Office Licence and carrying out site inspections. What up with that Ron? A bit different when the boot's on the other foot isn't it Ron?

>A lock can only keep an honest man honest. Nothing else.That is true and probably exactly what these systems are designed for. And I bet in terms of statistics of lost sales if an honest person is kept honest - 90% of the battle is won. It is the same as with home burglaries - overwhelming majority of them are done by someone looking for opporunity rather than by pros bent on stealing your fine European paintings. Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Ron I agree with you about Piracy! I even agree with FSD But not the way they have gone about it! I own your Beechjet and Premier1. I am no Pirate! I pay for my add-ons! I never have any reinstall problems with your Beechjet or any other developers add-ons! Just this case with FSD! And I hope thats all it is. A once off! Now if I was a Pirate would I buy FSD aircraft? or your Premier1? Of course not! check your sales on the Beechjet and you will see a sale to hornet@datafast.net.au ( ME )Pete