Sign in to follow this  
CaptAAE

Active runway

Hi allIs there any way to know the active runway when landing without using the ATC?Asier

Asier Azpiazu

ATIS...if available. If not, circle and look at the wind sock. :(

Ok, the above posts will work, but if you want to know in the sim say prior to departure (not very realistic), what I have done to get a good estimate of which will be the active runway(but still could change), is to go to the airport and check prior to starting your actual flight. I have done that to many aiports with real weather on and then flown each hop to see if any "Actives" would change over time. They never did. I agree with the above but in the real world I believe you are able to pick up Atis, Tower, etc... long before the way it is in FSX. In FSX I often don't get a hold of Tower until already completing a star :( . I also like to go to real world web sites and check the winds over an airport before and sometimes during my travels.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

If you are flying with no ATC the concept of 'active' runway doesn't really exist but you can of course listen to ATIS. It is ATC that sets active runway - either because of winds, preferred traffic pattern on that day or any other reason. In totally uncontrolled airports it is the wind or local habits that determine active runway. In FSX when flying with no ATC the only important thing is to land against the wind or with minimal crosswind - so in fact you are the one that sets the active runway for yourself.

In general terms, FS (FS9 I mean), with soft wind or no wind at all, always chooses the ILS equipped runway as the active.Afcad also has something to say about it (open or closed runways for landings or takeoffs), but whenever the wind is strong enough, FS overrides the Afcad and takes control in runway assignment.

Guest morpheous

Is there a way to extent the range of the ATIS in FS? I too would like to know what is(are) the active runways before I choose a STARS arrival and not by just looking at wind conditions.thanksMorph