Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Anyone got a time machine?

.... cause I sure as heck would like to jump forward about three weeks. This waiting is killing me.FS2002 made me a convert from the Flight Unlimited series (though I can claim to be a long-timer with MSFS since I used the early Commodore version), but FS2004 looks to be very finely tuned. The weather looks awesome, the improved ATC is going to be great, and I'm even hyped about the historic planes.What really makes me happy is that Microsoft stuck with the FS2002 engine. I've only spent about $350 on my computer in upgrades in the last 2 1/2 years, and I'm able to run FS2002 quite acceptably (fps locked at 25). I am thrilled that I am going to be able to avoid any major upgrade until the 2006 version. I was really getting tired of the endless upgrades, and I think Microsoft made a very good decision here (especially since they are trying to appeal to entry-level simmers).Maybe I can just take a 3-week nap....

I think its foolish to do a $350 upgrade for a $50 program.. it's kinda pushing it eh?

>I think its foolish to do a $350 upgrade for a $50 program..>it's kinda pushing it eh?Whaaaaa? I've done $2000 upgrades (i.e. a new computer) for a $50 program in the past. THe x-wing series, Wing Commander, Flight Unlimited ... all of these things prompted wholesale upgrades. Did I really need that spanking new computer to run Microsoft Word? I don't think so.The fact that I have only spent $350 on my computer in the last 2 1/2 years is a major milestone. I used to upgrade every 18 months or so ... and with MSFS being my primary reason for having a fast computer, it doesn't look like I'll need another upgrade until 2006. This is unheard of around my house. My wife will fall dead from shock.Finally, I think that MSFS represents much more than a $50 program. They've got the while world on CD-ROM. I am constanly amazed by how far things have come since the early days. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for MSFS.Luckily, I don't have to.

>I think its foolish to do a $350 upgrade for a $50 program..>it's kinda pushing it eh?No different than DVD's or CD's for a player. A bunch of airplanes, scenery, and MSFS as the base unit to "play" them.Ladamson ---spent approx. $50,000 for my full size cockpit, and it doesn't even have a monitor yet... :)

Guest SoarPics

<Just curious... what kind of machine are you running, ACA308?Larry... only $50,000? What, are you just getting started? :-)

"I think its foolish to do a $350 upgrade for a $50 program..it's kinda pushing it eh?" - NO, Not really!You have got to be kidding???!!! LOLthere are quite a few people that have spent $1000 or more for a whole new system for this $50 product, myself included. Of course I'll use it for other things (that extra performance will make checking my emails that much faster ;-) )The only other "games " I am into seriously are Ghost Recon and CFS2, both will take advantage of the upgrade as well, plus DOOM 3, LOMAC and Half Life are just around the corner and you won't be able to take even half advantage of what they have to offer unless you have a high performance system, so I don't see it as FOOLISH!!I can only imagine what you think of people that have home cockpits, those things are very expensive! Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

>Ladamson ---spent approx. $50,000 for my full size cockpit,>and it doesn't even have a monitor yet... :)You should have bought a plane - it doesn't need a monitor. ;)

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

It's always relative...For many of us, flight simming is a MAJOR hobby, and making sure we have a good simming experience (for our personal tastes) sometimes requires an upgrade.I've started the savings for a nice new Radeon card coenciding with the release of FS2004. Given the screenshots I've seen, I WANT to be able to run the sim at high sliders with a high degree of smoothness. I don't have to, but I really want to. :) I'd love a home cockpit setup or multiple monitors, but I am hampered by space and budget. -GregWing commander - endless circles firing meatballs at other plate-like spaceships. Wasn't that a 293-disk install, too? ;)

Guest Bigshot

Just go ahead one week and buy me a lotto ticket!PS: Almost forgot. Pick me up a Wallstreet Journal while your there!