Sign in to follow this  
timkmco

Installing FS9 from A USB flash drive

Is there a program out there that would let me take my 4 CDs of FS9 and make it into an installable program from a USB stick. I am thinking about buying a laptop that doesn't have a DVD drive so this would be my only way of installing without buying an external drive. I have owned the CDs for years so i don't give a crap what MS would have to say about it. It's only for my own personal use.Thanks

After a little research and a little help from opa I found the way to do it. Create a folder (I named it 'FS9 install' but you can name it whatever you like) on your desktop (or anywhere) and copy all the contents from CD 4 into it. Then copy CD 3, then 2, then 1 in that order and overwrite (copy and replace) any files Windows asks you to. To install FS9, click on the setup.exe in the folder and it will install FS9. Install FS9 update. Then find your no-cd patch, replace your FS9.exe and you are good to go. I also create a folder named (3rd party software) and add all my 3rd party software into it. So there you have it, your whole FS9 in one folder. You can put it on a USB or wherever you like or you can even burn it to a data DVD as it's less than 2gb. Now i can do away with those pesky 4 CDs. Also installs a lot faster than the CD install. Hope this helps someone besides me.

After a little research and a little help from opa I found the way to do it. Create a folder (I named it 'FS9 install' but you can name it whatever you like) on your desktop (or anywhere) and copy all the contents from CD 4 into it. Then copy CD 3, then 2, then 1 in that order and overwrite (copy and replace) any files Windows asks you to. To install FS9, click on the setup.exe in the folder and it will install FS9. Install FS9 update. Then find your no-cd patch, replace your FS9.exe and you are good to go. I also create a folder named (3rd party software) and add all my 3rd party software into it. So there you have it, your whole FS9 in one folder. You can put it on a USB or wherever you like or you can even burn it to a data DVD as it's less than 2gb. Now i can do away with those pesky 4 CDs. Also installs a lot faster than the CD install. Hope this helps someone besides me.
Have you tested , yet or it

Guest belga1

Hello,Confirm.This "unattended" version work great.My originals FS2004 CD's are in a safe box from ages. 26253307.gifRegards.santa2.gifGus.

Hello,This is a great way to go!! A question, perhaps a bit sensitive-could someone direct me to the no cd patch which they know works.Many Thanks,David

Hello,This is a great way to go!! A question, perhaps a bit sensitive-could someone direct me to the no cd patch which they know works.Many Thanks,David
Not on this forum they can't.

Not on this forum they can't.
Understand. thought it a sensitive question. You and your fellow moderators do an excellent job!!David

Understand. thought it a sensitive question. You and your fellow moderators do an excellent job!!David
Pretty easy to find. Google it!

Pretty easy to find. Google it!
Thanks Timkmco,David

A polite word of caution about the no cd patch: Be sure you locate the one that matches the version of FS9 you have installed. You probably already know this, just thought I would spare you some 'pain' if you didn't. Also be cautious about the source of the patch. As an example, my son downloaded his from some obscure site ( sorry I don't know which site ). It was found to be loaded with spyware junk and required him to reinstall FS to fix. On the other hand, he is very good at getting all sorts of 'bugs' etc and I have had no such problems.Best Regards,Mel

A slight correction of my previous comment is in order: It was not the no cd patch that had caused problems, it was the FS9.1 update that had been obtained through some 'unofficial' source. Sorry for the error. :(Regards,Mel