Sign in to follow this  
Walt90

OEM or Not?

Will I have problems if I purchase the OEM version of Windows 7?I want to change my FSX computer's OS from Vista to Windows 7. From looking at pricing, the Microsoft supported full version of Windows 7 is almost twice as much as the OEM version. Which version did you purchased? Is OEM worth the possible support problems?Is Windows 7 Home version sufficient for FSX?Thanks.

Guest diajohn2

OEM or retail are the same software. If you need handholding for your computer, then buy the retail version. If not, the OEM is a much better deal. Home version is fine and all recommend the 64 bit version.

The EULA will only allow you to use the OEM version on the hardware you first install it on, if you significantly upgrade the machine by changing the motherboard and processor for example then you will have to purchase another copy of W7. It's cheaper in the long run if you get a retail copy as you can upgrade as often as you want and you can still use the same version over and over again, as long as it is only ever installed on one machine at a time.

Cheers, Andy.

The EULA will only allow you to use the OEM version on the hardware you first install it on, if you significantly upgrade the machine by changing the motherboard and processor for example then you will have to purchase another copy of W7. It's cheaper in the long run if you get a retail copy as you can upgrade as often as you want and you can still use the same version over and over again, as long as it is only ever installed on one machine at a time.
Good to know, thanks Andy.My FSX system is to a point where no additional hardware upgrades are possible. A motherboard change would be necessary and that is a few years away. Looks like a full OEM version would work for me. Do you know if the OEM EULA allows hard drive or video card updates?

Yes you should be ok with upgrades to hard drives, GPU's and memory, especially if you add drives rather than replace them. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Cheers, Andy.

So if I overclock my computer and burn up my cpu and then get a new cpu I have to buy another copy of the o/s. I doubt that that would be necessary.

Replacing the CPU with the exact same model isn't upgrading is it. I am also not arguing the point as I've actually taken the time to read the EULA which you clearly haven't, its been like this since the days of windows XP but now its stricter in Vista and Windows 7, so its nothing new. Also please read the my comment again "motherboard and processor", obviously if you replace it with exactly the same board and CPU this isn't a significant upgrade.

Cheers, Andy.

Replacing the CPU with the exact same model isn't upgrading is it. I am also not arguing the point as I've actually taken the time to read the EULA which you clearly haven't, its been like this since the days of windows XP but now its stricter in Vista and Windows 7, so its nothing new. Also please read the my comment again "motherboard and processor", obviously if you replace it with exactly the same board and CPU this isn't a significant upgrade.
Hello AndyMy OEM XP32 started life running on an Abit AMD board and Athlon 3700, then I switched to Intel and I am now on my second MBthe first an ASrock and now an MSI , three soundcards and four graphics cards later including a switch from ATI to Nvidia it still installs and registers with the MS servers just like it did the first time I installed it.I don't think MS give a rats a** what you do with it once they have the money for the licence.

I didn't say you couldn't get around things if you are sensible about it, I was stating what the EULA expects you to do as part of its terms. If you are unlucky enough to have problems within 120 days of activating which results in you needing to make another major change then you will have problems, it wont auto activate, you'll have to get on the phone and blag it :(

Cheers, Andy.

I didn't say you couldn't get around things if you are sensible about it, I was stating what the EULA expects you to do as part of its terms. If you are unlucky enough to have problems within 120 days of activating which results in you needing to make another major change then you will have problems, it wont auto activate, you'll have to get on the phone and blag it :(
Hello AndyThat was probably the key to all of this, the HW upgrades were over quite a period of time, more than 120 days I would guess.Definitely had my monies worth from that OS :(