Sign in to follow this  
january

"State of the Hobby"- Time to Reset the Data

Tom - At the beginning of a new year, I wonder if the subject survey might be restarted in order to better reflect where we are at in 2010.My recollection is that each of us can respond only once. Hence the data shows a pic of the past- not today's reality. Clearly, in recent months, many simmers have adopted FSX, while at the same time many others have reverted from X to FS9.And we have all aged, (gracefully I hope!) while at the same time we have had the opportunity to welcome many new young simmers to our hobby.I think all of us would welcome the opportunity to vote again- to reflect where we are NOW as we move into Decade Two of the millenium.I'm sure the software developers would be equally interested.With best regards to all at AVSIM and the hope for a less stressful new year!Alex Reid

Guest zzmikezz
Tom - At the beginning of a new year, I wonder if the subject survey might be restarted in order to better reflect where we are at in 2010.My recollection is that each of us can respond only once. Hence the data shows a pic of the past- not today's reality. Clearly, in recent months, many simmers have adopted FSX, while at the same time many others have reverted from X to FS9.And we have all aged, (gracefully I hope!) while at the same time we have had the opportunity to welcome many new young simmers to our hobby.I think all of us would welcome the opportunity to vote again- to reflect where we are NOW as we move into Decade Two of the millenium.I'm sure the software developers would be equally interested.With best regards to all at AVSIM and the hope for a less stressful new year!Alex Reid
I think the situation is more complex than would be illuminated by a simple survey. I certainly haven't been counting but I have the distinct impression that freeware is being developed mainly for FS2004 whereas payware is now mainly either for FSX or, less often, FSX+FS2004.I'm not quite sure what to make of this unless it's that the freeware development community has been reluctant to learn about FSX internals. As for me, I used to run both sims but invested only in FS2004 or FSX+FS2004 payware. Recently I deinstalled FSX, which I hadn't run since last spring.

Thank you January for this timely topic.I am not sure this is the right place for this topic. There is an older but very similiar one in Hanger Chat at: HERE.It may be counter-productive to try to get a grasp of the state of the hobby itself, since definitive numbers of current MSFS users vs. those in the past seem to be unavailable or unreliable. So having an informed opinion of the entire flight sim gendre based upon agreed upon objective facts is nearly impossible. What may be more fruitful is a look at how individual parts of the hobby are fairing when compared to others. If so, that means that the only real way to get a handle on the question posed is to look at both FS9 and FSX separately, before merging subjective opinion together.I can not personally speak for FS9 anymore, since I abandoned that version (and a computer full of expensive add-ons) in favour of the original FSX years ago. I understand from reading on some forums like this one, that those who are still entrenched in fs2004 are still digging down, notwithstanding brief scurries on the surface for fresh ammunition. Still, FS9 has not been substantially improved, nor have developers been able to significantly alter its rather limited caplibilities for years now, as it is still more of the same, with only marginal variations. However, fs9ers have not run out of oxygen yet, unlike their fs2002 counterparts. What keeps fs9 going seems to be disbelief, disinterest or denial in how far FSX has been revolutionized by recent advances. Who can blame (some of) them, for FSX was a real dog when it first came out, impossible to run and a second rate effort at best. Who can forget the "DX10" marketing hype put out by MS itself? But that was then, this is now. FSX with scenery packages like FTX and aircraft like the L-39 is as farher ahead of where it started from as fs2004 was from fs98.On the other hand, the state of computer machinery advances are much more comprehensible - the roof has blown off! Modern machines, that can be put together for relatively modest means, have brought super-simulation in reach of all who will make the investment. With it has come radical flying realism and enjoyment that was only dreamed of when FSX first came out. No longer does anyone have to be limited to using equipment that is not caplable of running the best and most complex flight simulation software on the planet - FSX.So, what is the state of the hobby? Well, the answer depends. If you are stuck in the past, then the best of that world was is forever behind us, and the future is bleak. But if you are participating in today's technology and running FSX extreme editions as modified by incredible software advances, then the world is yours and everything in it. The difference between the two is only determined by the difference in our choices. The new flight simulation experience common for those who have moved forward is by far the best that has ever come before, and is likely the equivalent of what would have been FS11 or FS12. It should perhaps be called FSXtreme.1262988843.jpgFSXtremeSo there you have it. The hobby is in it's golden years and can be enjoyed to its fullest right now. That's what I think anyway.Stephen

Very well stated, Stephen, and balanced rather than inflammatory. As someone who clung to FS9 for years until a hard drive failure provided the opportunity to upgrade and experience FSX, I can appreciate what you are saying. When my FS9 installation was wiped out, I was deeply dismayed. But it was a blessing in disguise. Now I am enjoying FSX so much I am thankful it happened.John

Guest zzmikezz
Thank you January for this timely topic.I am not sure this is the right place for this topic. There is an older but very similiar one in Hanger Chat at: HERE.It may be counter-productive to try to get a grasp of the state of the hobby itself, since definitive numbers of current MSFS users vs. those in the past seem to be unavailable or unreliable. So having an informed opinion of the entire flight sim gendre based upon agreed upon objective facts is nearly impossible. What may be more fruitful is a look at how individual parts of the hobby are fairing when compared to others. If so, that means that the only real way to get a handle on the question posed is to look at both FS9 and FSX separately, before merging subjective opinion together.I can not personally speak for FS9 anymore, since I abandoned that version (and a computer full of expensive add-ons) in favour of the original FSX years ago. I understand from reading on some forums like this one, that those who are still entrenched in fs2004 are still digging down, notwithstanding brief scurries on the surface for fresh ammunition. Still, FS9 has not been substantially improved, nor have developers been able to significantly alter its rather limited caplibilities for years now, as it is still more of the same, with only marginal variations. However, fs9ers have not run out of oxygen yet, unlike their fs2002 counterparts. What keeps fs9 going seems to be disbelief, disinterest or denial in how far FSX has been revolutionized by recent advances. Who can blame (some of) them, for FSX was a real dog when it first came out, impossible to run and a second rate effort at best. Who can forget the "DX10" marketing hype put out by MS itself? But that was then, this is now. FSX with scenery packages like FTX and aircraft like the L-39 is as farher ahead of where it started from as fs2004 was from fs98.On the other hand, the state of computer machinery advances are much more comprehensible - the roof has blown off! Modern machines, that can be put together for relatively modest means, have brought super-simulation in reach of all who will make the investment. With it has come radical flying realism and enjoyment that was only dreamed of when FSX first came out. No longer does anyone have to be limited to using equipment that is not caplable of running the best and most complex flight simulation software on the planet - FSX.So, what is the state of the hobby? Well, the answer depends. If you are stuck in the past, then the best of that world was is forever behind us, and the future is bleak. But if you are participating in today's technology and running FSX extreme editions as modified by incredible software advances, then the world is yours and everything in it. The difference between the two is only determined by the difference in our choices. The new flight simulation experience common for those who have moved forward is by far the best that has ever come before, and is likely the equivalent of what would have been FS11 or FS12. It should perhaps be called FSXtreme.1262988843.jpgFSXtremeSo there you have it. The hobby is in it's golden years and can be enjoyed to its fullest right now. That's what I think anyway.Stephen
I admit it. I'm a "bitter clinger", clinging to my 2D panels and my $thousands (literally) worth of FS2004 addons and my fully-paid-for computers. I should be ashamed that I enjoy FS2004 but I'm not. I will always have to wonder ... What would my life have been like if only I had continued to run both sims?