Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobbieHe

memory speed holding me back?

Just upgraded to a system based around an Intel i5, a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2, and 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) of 1600 9-9-9-24 Corsair XMS3 memory. At the current time, I have my BCLK at 185 and my multiplier at X21 for a total speed of 3.885 Ghz. I currently have my VCore at 1.375v, my VTT (QPI) at 1.37v, my PLL at 1.80, and my vDimm at 1.65v. My plan was to go at least 200 on the BCLK and to back off on the multiplier to 20, while turning off Speedstep (EIST), Tubo Mode, C1E, and C-States, giving me a stable 4.0 Ghz. I am using a very good CoolerMaster CPU cooler (cpu heat is not a problem) and (CoolerMaster) power supply (550 watt - with a meter that barely reads 200 watts at full load).However, no mater what I try, I can't get my system stable if I go past 185 BCLK. Is that because of my 1600 speed memory? Do I need to upgrade to good 2000 speed memory to enable me to go to 200 BCLK to give me at least 4Ghz CPU speed?Thanks,RH

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just upgraded to a system based around an Intel i5, a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2, and 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) of 1600 9-9-9-24 Corsair XMS3 memory. At the current time, I have my BCLK at 185 and my multiplier at X21 for a total speed of 3.885 Ghz. I currently have my VCore at 1.375v, my VTT (QPI) at 1.37v, my PLL at 1.80, and my vDimm at 1.65v. My plan was to go at least 200 on the BCLK and to back off on the multiplier to 20, while turning off Speedstep (EIST), Tubo Mode, C1E, and C-States, giving me a stable 4.0 Ghz. I am using a very good CoolerMaster CPU cooler (cpu heat is not a problem) and (CoolerMaster) power supply (550 watt - with a meter that barely reads 200 watts at full load).However, no mater what I try, I can't get my system stable if I go past 185 BCLK. Is that because of my 1600 speed memory? Do I need to upgrade to good 2000 speed memory to enable me to go to 200 BCLK to give me at least 4Ghz CPU speed?Thanks,RH
What have you got the memory multiplier set to? If you've still got it at x10, then it's no wonder your RAM won't make the trip, because it's at 1850 MHz already. Try dropping it to x8 and see if you can go up from there.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

I am not sure how that works. If I drop the memory multiplier to 8, then wouldn't the fact that I am limited to x21 on the CPU multiplier hold me back? Please excuse my ignorance, but please explain how the memory multiplier works. It's the first that I have heard if it.Thanks,RH

The memory multiplier is precisely what it sounds like. It determines the RAM frequency by multiplying itself times the bclk. Example: bclk 185x10 = RAM @ 1.85GHz, well outside of what your RAM is rated at. If you drop this number to 8, the resulting RAM speed would be 1.48GHz, which is within specifications.

The memory multiplier is precisely what it sounds like. It determines the RAM frequency by multiplying itself times the bclk. Example: bclk 185x10 = RAM @ 1.85GHz, well outside of what your RAM is rated at. If you drop this number to 8, the resulting RAM speed would be 1.48GHz, which is within specifications.
But because the CPU multiplier for the i5 is locked at x21, if I reduced the RAM multiplier to x8 my total CPU speed would drop from the current 3.385 Ghz to 3.108 Ghz. So, I guess the answer to my original question is that my current 1600 speed RAM is holding me back, and if I want to get to 4Ghz or above like many others have done with the i5, I am going to have to cough up some $ for some good 2000 speed RAM. Is what I am saying true? Thanks in advance for your response.RH

I appreciate the response TechguyMacCIf I lower my RAM number to 8 (resulting RAM speed being 1.48GHz -- within specifications), can I then move my BCLK to 200 for an i5 overclock of 4Ghz with a CPU x of 20?Thanks,RH

Won't know until you try, but I'd lean towards the answer being yes, providing your voltage settings are adequate.

excuse a noob but what is wroung with uping your BLCK and leaving the ram stuff on AUto, would'nt the ram just auto to match your cpu clock, assuming the ram you got is rated fast enough.

What is wrong is precisely what you see described here. If you don't lower the memory multi, it will be left at stock and will soon surpass the capability of your RAM.

What is wrong is precisely what you see described here. If you don't lower the memory multi, it will be left at stock and will soon surpass the capability of your RAM.
Ok thanks for the OC lesson, excuse me while i return to Bios

Thanks guys for your input.Wouldn't I get much better results from just going ahead and buying some good 2000 speed memory and leaving the memory multi where it is while being able to up the BCLK to 200 or more. Or, would it be a waste of money. I as just used to thinking that the BCLK should match memory speed. RH

You could try, but I wouldn't. Recently all the really high speed DDR3 products were discontinued or recalled due to design/manufacturing issues.

You could try, but I wouldn't. Recently all the really high speed DDR3 products were discontinued or recalled due to design/manufacturing issues.
That was true more than six months ago but has all been resolved, You can find plenty of 2000+ on NewEgg. The only good reason to grab some is that it allows you to do very low latency at very low voltage. 7-7-7-20 on 1.5v at 1600+ helps keep the IMC cool and allow for higher O/C without stress.

That was true more than six months ago but has all been resolved, You can find plenty of 2000+ on NewEgg. The only good reason to grab some is that it allows you to do very low latency at very low voltage. 7-7-7-20 on 1.5v at 1600+ helps keep the IMC cool and allow for higher O/C without stress.
It was far less than 6 months ago. You can find posts on these forums from people still experiencing the problem within the last couple months. Last I checked all the parts out there now are still using the Elpida Hyper ICs. Fixed or not I wouldn't trust a product with such a high failure rate. If some other IC maker has produced parts capable of > 1600MHz operation then I would consider recommending such products.

It was far less than 6 months ago. You can find posts on these forums from people still experiencing the problem within the last couple months. Last I checked all the parts out there now are still using the Elpida Hyper ICs. Fixed or not I wouldn't trust a product with such a high failure rate. If some other IC maker has produced parts capable of > 1600MHz operation then I would consider recommending such products.
What is your problem mate? You want to grill me for being off by a week or two? LOL!The issue caused Corsair and others to pull the bad ram in early late June/July. By July 22 Corsair as well as others re-introduced the ram as the problem was resolved:That makes 6 months ago about right partner.http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/displa...per_Memory.htmlCorsair, G.skill, Geil, Patriot are not selling deffective 2000mhz DDR3, newegg would not be selling it and everyone would be reporting it if that were the case. The issue has been delt with. Just dont buy it from a mom & pop if you suspect anything.Come on, have a cold one and chill out.

A week or two? You said 6 months, I said more like 2. I don't trust parts that have design flaws. See: AMD Phenom and the infamous TLB bug.

A week or two? You said 6 months, I said more like 2. I don't trust parts that have design flaws. See: AMD Phenom and the infamous TLB bug.
Yeah, it was 5 months an 14 days ago that the problem was resolved, I was off by one or two weeks. And you are still going to scare people off? What part dont you get?. LOL!

I think you misunderstood. The point is not when the companies making the RAM claim to have fixed the problem, the point is that the users of the product are still complaining about problems as recently as a couple months ago.I see you have some DDR3 2000 in your sig. Seems to me like you have a personal interest in this (i.e. defending your purchase decision) so I'll not continue this discussion with you, as you are clearly emotionally involved. If the O.P. has further questions I'll be happy to help him though.

I think you misunderstood. The point is not when the companies making the RAM claim to have fixed the problem, the point is that the users of the product are still complaining about problems as recently as a couple months ago.I see you have some DDR3 2000 in your sig. Seems to me like you have a personal interest in this (i.e. defending your purchase decision) so I'll not continue this discussion with you, as you are clearly emotionally involved. If the O.P. has further questions I'll be happy to help him though.
Yer real funny, I have no problem at all little buddy. My personal interest is max performance, and what actually works for the money.Some people are still having problems with a lot of first gen hardware but I don

Hey guys - Thanks for all the info. I have just reduced my memory multiplier from 'auto' which was set at x10 (1600 - the rated speed of me memory) down to x8, which brought it down to 1480. So, I suppose what I have done is to underclock my memory. My CPU Id still says my cpu is running at 3885, which is a good thing.Can someone tell me exactly what the memory multiplier is and its relationship to the CPU in a language I can understand (dumb it down, in other words).Thanks,RH

Hey guys - Thanks for all the info. I have just reduced my memory multiplier from 'auto' which was set at x10 (1600 - the rated speed of me memory) down to x8, which brought it down to 1480. So, I suppose what I have done is to underclock my memory. My CPU Id still says my cpu is running at 3885, which is a good thing.Can someone tell me exactly what the memory multiplier is and its relationship to the CPU in a language I can understand (dumb it down, in other words).Thanks,RH
Try this Robb, starts third post down:http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=5736Grab a cup of joe and enjoy.By the time your done I think you will find you can go back to 1600 on the mem and get the overclock you want. Grab a few benchmark tools like Vantage, Everest and prime95 and with some patience you will find the sweet spot for your rig.

I don't think I can move it back to 1600 speed, both Auto and X10 move it to 1850, the next option down (x8) moves it to the current 1480 speed. Wow, thanks for the link. I will read it over and maybe I can figure out how to perhaps get it back to 1600 while overclocking the CPU to at least 4Ghz.RH

I don't think I can move it back to 1600 speed, both Auto and X10 move it to 1850, the next option down (x8) moves it to the current 1480 speed. Wow, thanks for the link. I will read it over and maybe I can figure out how to perhaps get it back to 1600 while overclocking the CPU to at least 4Ghz.RH
If you have to stay at below 1600, use a program like CPU-Z and go to the SPD tab, it will read the Memeory timings available as reccomended for your Memory off of the modules, likely you can us ehte tighter timings that will give you better or the same perofmence as faster memory but the losse timings. For example you may be at 9-9-9-24 for 1600, but going for tighter 7-7-7-20m at 1333 or 7-8-7-24 at 1480 etc will be better if not at least as good. You can run the synthetic memory benchmarks in Everest to compare. Free dowload to use for 30 days. So, Get CPU-Z, its free unlimited use and enjoy. Let us know how you make out.