Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob F

System Restore

Does anyone know if you can use system restore to revert back to Vista or is it better to use a "ghost" of your system to revert back. I've had Windows 7 for quite awhile, but I've been hesitant to install it because I have Vista working pretty well.Thanks for your help.Bob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Does anyone know if you can use system restore to revert back to Vista or is it better to use a "ghost" of your system to revert back. I've had Windows 7 for quite awhile, but I've been hesitant to install it because I have Vista working pretty well.Thanks for your help.Bob
Hi Bob, you're correct, system restore won't cut it and making a backup image of your current Vista install is very wise and prudent.

Thanks Kendall. I thought that may be the case. I tried to run the upgrade yesterday and it hung up at 44%. Fortunately, the install process gives you the option to recover your original Windows configuration. I may try it one more time, but if it hangs again, I'll stick with Vista.Thanks for your help.Bob

Thanks Kendall. I thought that may be the case. I tried to run the upgrade yesterday and it hung up at 44%. Fortunately, the install process gives you the option to recover your original Windows configuration. I may try it one more time, but if it hangs again, I'll stick with Vista.Thanks for your help.Bob
Hi Bob, you're very welcome.I've read of this hanging issue @ install and the consensus seems to be to just wait things out for awhile, as setup will normally finish. Another option to try instead of an upgrade install is to simply run setup from within your Vista install, point towards a new or exisitng drive and then reboot. Be aware you should select to format the drive and you'll loose your current Vista, but in the end you'll have a clean installation of W7. You might also want to check out W7's data/settings migration tool and run it before proceeding. I've found this guide from Microsoft to be valuable before I took the plunge: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...674(WS.10).aspx IMHO if the only reason you're going to W7 is for flight simulation and your Vista install runs well - I would be inclined to keep what you have. I haven't seen much appreciable gains from going to W7 from XP64 - actually it's been a real headache and for some reason I can't get acceptable performance from FSX in W7 - yet...... Hope it helps.

I've found Windows 7 to be much more stable. Nothing strange has popped as it did in Vista.