Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tf51d

X-Plane Weather updates?

What interval is the source of X-Plane's online weather updated? Currently at 14:00 EST here down in Kissimmee Florida, it is 39 degrees (Fahrenheit) cloudy with light rain. According to X-Plane it's 22 degrees (fahrenheit) cloudy and a blizzard. Now there was some light snow flurries and a little sleet earlier this morning but now in the afternoon it's all rain. Is this source kept up to date, or is it only updated at longer intervals. In any case Central Florida never has had a blizzard before!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What interval is the source of X-Plane's online weather updated? Currently at 14:00 EST here down in Kissimmee Florida, it is 39 degrees (Fahrenheit) cloudy with light rain. According to X-Plane it's 22 degrees (fahrenheit) cloudy and a blizzard. Now there was some light snow flurries and a little sleet earlier this morning but now in the afternoon it's all rain. Is this source kept up to date, or is it only updated at longer intervals. In any case Central Florida never has had a blizzard before!!
X-Plane built in online wx thingy does have a lot to be desired. Thats the main reason I enjoy flying xsquawkbox so much. The wx is more dynamic and much closer to real time. When first starting out, using only the XP wx, I never saw anything but solid cloud decks, once I started using XSB the world took on a whole new shape and the weather came alive.Now all XP and XSB needs to do is work on weather smoothing so when you transition from one reporting station are to the next you aren't knocked out of the sky by wind shear one would only encounter on the planet Neptune... :(

X-Plane built in online wx thingy does have a lot to be desired. Thats the main reason I enjoy flying xsquawkbox so much. The wx is more dynamic and much closer to real time. When first starting out, using only the XP wx, I never saw anything but solid cloud decks, once I started using XSB the world took on a whole new shape and the weather came alive.Now all XP and XSB needs to do is work on weather smoothing so when you transition from one reporting station are to the next you aren't knocked out of the sky by wind shear one would only encounter on the planet Neptune... :(
I agree, the weather is sometimes really dated, and when manually modifying the weather file, it will not update the displayed weather for me. When "real weather" is only displaying solid cloud decks, make sure you have the option "display cumulus clouds" enabled in the weather menu. Also sometimes an automatic reduction in visibility to maintain framerate can be confused with "solid cloud cover", because it looks basically the same from the ground.As fas as the windshear goes, I think that was mainly a problem with FSX (especially when climbing/descending into a different wind layer). X-Plane will actually change the current wind really smoothly, just try this little experiment. Set weather manually to 0 winds and turbulence. Now enable "download current weather" - then watch the current velocity/direction in the weathermenu, it will gradually change to the "current weather" value. What could be confused as windshear can be the transition into an area with strong winds, X-Plane will automatically add significant turbulence to that. While there is certainly room for improvement, I enjoy the "current weather" in X-Plane. It adds an surprise element to flying longer distances, and I don