Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob Huntley

Recommendation to delete MS C ++ 2005 Runtime

Guest Bob Huntley

A recommedation was made yesterday in the FlightSim.Com fourms by "JRing2" (John Ring I assume) to delete the Microsoft Visual C ++ 2005 from 64 bit systems. This software is installed as part of FSX - and the theory was that is conflicts with the MS Visual C ++ 2008 version that comes pre-installed as part of Windows 7 (probably Vista x64 as well - but can't confirm that myself). One poster there reported problems, but otherwise feedback was positive. The link is "http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=207539"Just tried it on my Windows 7 x64 system by using the Control Panel Programs applet - and had to delete a number of programs, x86 + x64 versions plus some updates. Glad to say that it hasn't caused any issues with my system, and in fact the simulator does seem to run better - biggest gain is a noticable reduction in the time taken to draw the external texture of the aircraft when you switch to an outside view mid-flight.Thought I'd pass this along - be interested to see if it works for others. Would be interested if anyone is able to comment on the thoery behind this - will FSX always default to the latest version?, what does it use C ++ for? and so on.PS - Given the positive experience I've no intention of reversing the deletion, so can't confirm that this works. The originator said that a Repair install of FSX would re-install it, and when searching round for related material this morning I found that you can download the 2005 distributable as an installer file from MS. In my case, I took an Acronis back up before doing it.Bob,

Can someone confirm this information please?I am having some bad crashes with Visual C++ Runtime Library these last days.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Can someone confirm this information please?I am having some bad crashes with Visual C++ Runtime Library these last days.
If a developer compiles it sources using visual studio 2005, the user runtimes MUST be installed and 'should' match the compiler version. I'm not sure if redistribution packages are backward compatible, meaning that having the visual studio 2008 runtimes should allow you to run visual studio 2005 compiled code, but I'm not 100% sure on this because I'm pretty sure I tried this in the past and got some nasty errors. The only person that could give you a atraight answer is someone who has 'released' commercial code compiled under visual studio 2005 and has NOT received customer complains from not having this runtimes.

You can always download the 32-bit version, David. vcredist_x86.exe from MS. It will install on W7/64 without issue, and you do not have to uninstall the 64-bit version.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks ******* and Paul.The problem is solved now.There was a glitch with Heli Traffic 2009.After reinstalling it everything is ok. :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Daniel42

I see the original post is almost a year old, as is the post that is being referred to.For any one reading this: please read the first post by BASys on the second page of the referred thread.And then forget this whole thread ever existed. Or better yet... do it now.The ones that should worry about runtimes and performance/resources are the add-on developers. With a bunch of add-on's installed it is not uncommon to find four versions of the VC++ runtimes loaded inside FSX' process space. FSX needs version 8.0 (2005) and any add-on also build using VS 2005 will happily share the instance of FSX. But an add-on build using an earlier version (VC++ 7, ...) or newer version (VS 2008, VS 2010) will need it's own version of the runtimes.Daniel