Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

FMC - Is it worth it?

I recently purchased TOPCAT and now wonder how I flew without it! For me part of the reason I enjoy flying using FMCs is that the amount of time I have to use FSX is limited. Flying long hauls using the FMC lets me fly and also take care of things in real life. Just yesterday I took off from LAX to PHNL and left the house to go run some errands. When I came back the sim was paused 20 miles before the descent ready for me to return.Andrew
Why not simply make short flights then...? What's the fun of flying when you miss out on the flying? I always plan my flights so I can make them from A to B in the time I've got for it. I fly GA now but back when I flew the MD11 I always flew real life FedEx flights (downloaded the plans from internet) that took no longer than 45 minutes or so (just like in real life, yes). If you only like to take off and go down again, why not plan flights which enable you to do that in real time. I wonder. It's a waste of energy to let the computer fly the plane for hours and hours while no one is watching. (I know more people do this, but I always wonder why...)

Why not simply make short flights then...? What's the fun of flying when you miss out on the flying? I always plan my flights so I can make them from A to B in the time I've got for it. I fly GA now but back when I flew the MD11 I always flew real life FedEx flights (downloaded the plans from internet) that took no longer than 45 minutes or so (just like in real life, yes). If you only like to take off and go down again, why not plan flights which enable you to do that in real time. I wonder. It's a waste of energy to let the computer fly the plane for hours and hours while no one is watching. (I know more people do this, but I always wonder why...)
Why does it matter ?Some do long flights in real time, much of it away from the computer. Others do short flights in real time. Still others do long distance flights at Accelerated rate.Everyone has their own way of doing it, there really is no wrong way to do it IMO.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Why does it matter ?Some do long flights in real time, much of it away from the computer. Others do short flights in real time. Still others do long distance flights at Accelerated rate.Everyone has their own way of doing it, there really is no wrong way to do it IMO.Regards.Ernie.
I agree. Sim fuel is cheap these days. My box runs 24/7 anyway. If

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest Ramel40

I think if you fly with a developer that has mastered the FMC (Level D, Wilco, PMDG, Cpt Sim) your flight will be much more enjoyable.

Of course it doesn't matter, but I just wondered what the fun of it is! It was an honest question, not an attack or something like that and I certainly didn't say it was wrong! I'm just very curious. :(

Of course it doesn't matter, but I just wondered what the fun of it is! It was an honest question, not an attack or something like that and I certainly didn't say it was wrong! I'm just very curious. :(
Well I also started off just buying and flying airliners because I like knowing how things work. Unfortunately or fortunately the fun never stopped for me :)Andrew

HelloJust wondering if anyone could offer an opinion please.Benn running FSX for 6 moths now and as you do. I am gradually getting the add ons, like REX UTX, Level D 767. It just seems to get better and better with each add on!!Ref the Level D 767 (great plane BTW) my quesiton is. I started learning the FMC and this is something that seems like a large time investment to learn. (Already spent 10 hours and do not know nearly enough)I realise this is what is used in real life but it seems as though all it does is automate everything such as take off, cruise landing ILS landing etc. So I am wondering do you guys think it is worth spending the time completely learning FMC as currently I am enjoying manually flying / landing my Level-D 767. I think it would be boring having the FMC / autopilot do everyting especially landing or am I missing something.If possible please can anyone mention the enjoyment, benefits and rewards you are likely to get by learning to fly by using the FMC from a simmer's point of view.Thanks in advanceLaz
Hi Laz,Your post looks quite similar to some of my posts in the past on this issue. And as others here seem to be agreeing, it's really worth the effort. In fact, for me, I lose interest if an FMC is not involved. Moreover, once you learn one, you have the jump on others. I also very much enjoy FSPassengersX, and using the FMC just adds to the . . . ahem . . . ritual!Hang in there with it--I bet you'll find it worth the time.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X