Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vcaptmattsmith

2010 Race Preview & OFFICIAL Race Page Link

Flight Simulator Around The World Race Home (Edited by Sonar5 to insert race Home) It's our pleasure to today reveal to the community a preview of this year's race. We're not revealing too many details, but we want to give everyone a heads-up about certain things. We'll monitor the various team forums and, of course, our own forum on this website, for questions. 1. Weather. In 2010 all pilots will use the MSFS Default (Jeppesen) weather engine. Select Real weather with 15 minute updates (if you can possibly do so). It is now apparent that we need a level playing field with respect to the weather. Other weather systems have terrific features, but the need for competitive balance mandates this uniform standard. You may use the textures of the other weather programs, of course, but must use the MSFS weather engine. 2. Informal Norms. We would like to encourage pilots to fly in a realistic world. In particular, we want to avoid pressure to fly over a "bald earth," without terrain or autogen, with merely minimal cloud coverage. On the other hand, we understand that some pilots' computers impose limits on the realism with which they can fly

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

3. Aircraft types. Beyond the normal range of aircraft, teams might want to practice their water landings before the race.
This should be interesting.. :( As for the rest of it, sounds like fun.. That will definitely eliminate the planing of the entire route before we leave..

Thanks for the "Heads-up" Matt , sounds very interesting and different at first read :)

FSX pilots may use Jim Keir's "Lumberjack" scenery files as appropriate. (Search for agexcl_3x.zip and agexcl_5x.zip.)
I didn't even know anything like that existed, that will help a lot, thank you

I'm gonna need a stong cup of coffee to start the race that early. :( Sounds like a 5am wake up call for me. Vicious