Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

heavy sceneries and FPS flutuation

Hello,My FSX is running fine and smooth (i5 at 3.6, 4gb ram, GFX 275 896ram), I tested with cpu affinity at 15 and 12, FPS is locked.But when flying in in large sceneries like manhatan X, FPS stays around 30 for some seconds then goes to around 10 for 2-4 seconds and back to 30... Everytime it goes down to 10 I get stutters, image / textures is always fine.Any idea in how to avoid this FPS flutuation ?Thanks,Ulisses

I tried bufferpools 0 and high values, now I'm using 1000000Ulisses

Try Affinity setting of 14. It made a difference on my setup with the problem you are describing.

Jim Wenham

Hi,Thanks for sharing, I also got good results with AffinityMask=15But after many tests what gave me a better experience, increasing about 12 FPS was:[bufferpools]poolsize=50000[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.02I know it is very low, but in my system it is better for a fluid simulation and performance.Also, I'm locking my FPS in 60 with vertical sync ON.Ulisses

Start FSX. Then open Task Manager. Select the "Processes" tab, then scroll down to the FSX.EXE file. Right mouse-click it, then select "Set Priority" in the menu. Change it from "Normal" to "High". Close Task Manager (or leave it open in a window or on another monitor if you want to watch how FSX uses your computer resources).If the above solves your problem, seriously consider removing any "Bufferpools" "Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction", and "Affinity Mask" entries you have made to your FSX.CFG file. You may not need them in there anymore. But you can still play around with them if you want. I haven't used any of those "tweaks" with FSX since FSX came out, and I've had 3 different computers with 3 different OS's on them (Core 2 Duo w\XP, Quad Core w\Vista, and my current i7 w\Win7). I can fly over Manhatten X at Extremely Dense autogen setting and maintain 30 FPS with no stutters or pauses at all doing the above.

Rick Ryan

Guest UlfB
Hello,My FSX is running fine and smooth (i5 at 3.6, 4gb ram, GFX 275 896ram), I tested with cpu affinity at 15 and 12, FPS is locked.But when flying in in large sceneries like manhatan X, FPS stays around 30 for some seconds then goes to around 10 for 2-4 seconds and back to 30... Everytime it goes down to 10 I get stutters, image / textures is always fine.Any idea in how to avoid this FPS flutuation ?Thanks,Ulisses
Hi,Big fluctuations are quite normal when running fsx in DX9 mode. What hardware are you using? What are your average fps? To see your average fps in FSX you need to add th

Ulf,my hardware: i5 at 3.6, 4gb ram (1600), GFX 275 896ramIn normal sceneries I get around 60 FPS, in heavy areas between 25 and 40.I'll add the average FPS line to check it.Is DX10 smoother than DX9 ?Thanks,Ulisses

Guest UlfB
Is DX10 smoother than DX9 ?
Yes, but AA isn't working as it should and there are some issues. But you could allwas try it. Some prefer to fly with DX10 preview.