Sign in to follow this  
Guest patch10

Control of aircraft speed

Guest patch10

HiIt seems that after successfully flying from A to B in autopilot if I disengage ( press Z twice ) before landing I find I have no control of the aircraft speed and although after landing I can stop it's not until I have overshot the runway and almost left the airfield.Reverse thrust still seems to work O.K.I don't know what I'm failing to do/doing wrong.Anyone help please?

I think you need to disconnect the ATS as well. Try assigning shift +r to it in the keyboard commands in the pmdg menu. Just disconnecting the auopilot (z) doesn't disconnect the throttle control.

Gavin Price

Guest sixfourty

Autothrottle is enabled no matter what, thats how this plane was designed. You are adviced to put your throttle to idle before landing tho, because autothrottle should shut itself off the second you touch down. Also make sure you use autobrake to slow down

I wouldn't go so far as to say that John. ATS can be disconnected using the buttons on the side of thrust levers 1 and 3, where the thumb of the PF would be able to get to it quickly...I have even read recommendations that ATS be switched off for manually performed landings to retain better control during final approach. With respect to the PMDG MD-11, it is good practice to retard the thrust levers to idle before touchdown to avoid any possible spiking from the controller axis interfering with the autobrake and spoilers on touchdown...Andrew

Guest patch10

Thanks guys for your response.I have spent some time trying to sort this out and I believe all 3 of you have made good points.Gavin - You are quite correct that disengaging autothrottle does not disconnect ATS, however, on landing, reverse thrust should do it. It mentions this in the Systems Manual ( Aircraft Systems -> Autoflight -> Description and Operation -> Autothrottle System and Engine Trim. Page Auto.10.28 ).I have assigned a switch on my joystick to " Autothrottle Arm " in FS. This also disengages ATS.John - I note you weren't aware of the above re autothrottle but I agree about the throttle levers should be to idle at touchdown.Andrew - I completely agree with all you say. Many thanks.I found the buttons on the side of the thrust levers and confirmed they disconnect ATS although I preferto use my joystick button ( I'm lazy ).I also noticed that all this can be tested on the ground by firstly clicking on Autopilot and then pressing whatever keys/switches are designated to turn off ATS. In fact, when doing this, "ATS OFF" flashes inred top left of the PFD. Pressing again will show you can now re engage if "ATS OFF" is solid white. Once again all - many thanks.Incidently, the reason I couldn't stop in time when landing was, I think, simply a case of me touching down too far up the runway.I bet you are all thinking - "Idiot" or words to that effect !!! :(