Sign in to follow this  
Chris_CYWG

FS2004 Install Tip... it took 3 tries but I got it installed...

3 painful long installs, but its finally on board...1st time got errors after the files were copied saying "Scenery Read Error. Attempting to open a nonexistant directory, click OK to continue"2nd time it just crapped out on Disk 3 saying something about me not having enough memory (512MB of DDR..how much more do you want?!?!)3rd time lucky it looks...Anyways, make sure you have ALOT more than the 1.8MGB of space M$ claims the sim requires ...I did a full install and it appears to have taken in the area of 3GB of space. It seems the scenery errors I receieved were due to the way the install program works. The scenery files located on CD 4 are not decompressed directly to the flightsim scenery folder, rather they are copied from CD 4 to your harddrive on the install and then decompressed and deleted after everything is copied from the CDs. I guess the first time around on the install it figured I didn't have enough space, and it only decompressed part of the World scenery cab, the file folder was incomplete, and I guess I got the scenery error... the sim ran but ground textures were missing everywhere... sidenote to guys on other posts..make sure the world scenery folder is complete, it might not be your videocard drivers causing the problems, because I saw weird things as well until I got a complete install in. The error will not tell you which directory caused the error, I just took a stab and saw only one file in the world/scenery folder which was wrong.Anyways, this error happened with 3.5GB of free HD space, I deleted unneeded junk and freed up the HD to 4GB and the install worked fine...As for the second time around I have no idea what happened there... just hope I don't have to install this again because it was PAINFUL!!Chris

Hi, "Anyways, this error happened with 3.5GB of free HD space, I deleted unneeded junk and freed up the HD to 4GB and the install worked fine..."Always figure to have more MUCH space than your install, your fs2004 will definitly not running well, you hardisk is WAY too much used.Normaly when the entire hardisk is fulled more then the half of his entire capacity, the entire system will get slower than the maximum peformance capacity.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Looks like Canadain NDB's have not been included and CYAV tower frequency has been changed and is incorrect.

I got a similar error second time around.. except on a differnt cab file...As for the tower frequency, YWG is wrong as well... they put it as Winnipeg Terminal... and the marker beacon names are all the old names.. at least they are there (FINALLY)Guess we have to wait for the tools and make the corrections ourself.. I'd sure like to know where M$ is pulling there data from to make these errors when most of the other stuff is correct!

I got a similar error second time around.. except on a differnt cab file...As for the tower frequency, YWG is wrong as well... they put it as Winnipeg Terminal... and the marker beacon names are all the old names.. at least they are there (FINALLY)Guess we have to wait for the tools and make the corrections ourself.. I'd sure like to know where M$ is pulling there data from to make these errors when most of the other stuff is correct!