Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank10

should i buy x-plane?

Guest Frank10

Background: way back when I used to like TR's Fly2, and before that, enjoyed Flight Unlimited. I've probably bought 4 versions of the MSFS program, but have always come away disappointed for some reason or another, and I don't think I want to buy any more versions of that, plus there is no Linux version available.I've been out of the hobby for a long time, but now that Fly2 is no more developed, I am considering to try x-plane. The bonus is there is a Linux version: I'm basically done with Windows any more - my main computer doesn't even have it installed! Also I don't like the military sims, I prefer civilian ones, and this seems like the prog with the most promising future.So my questions are:(1) How much of the aftermarket things work on the Linux version? Do the payware airplanes? The scenery packages? How about freeware things? I tried the 9.xx demo and it ran well on my system but I can't try the add-ons on the demo.(2) If I want to get an area - say a US state - with a few dozen airports populated with 3D objects, is that possible? I know the default airports are bare runway/taxiways but are enough add-ons available to make it possible?(3) I know one weakness of the sim is AI traffic. Are there any good add-ons to address that?(4) I'm fond of being able to use actual checklists for aircraft procedures such as startup. How well does that work with the included airplanes? How about the payware ones? I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars on payware products (a mix of terrains and airplanes).(5) When I was googling I thought I'd found an x-plane site with a util to import terrain bitmaps from web services as game sceneries. But now I can't find it. Was I imagining it?Thanks for infos :)

Hi Frank,in a nutshell, here are my answers to your question. 1.) I don

Guest Frank10

Thanks Janov. You're right, $30 is cheap enough to just experiment and see how it goes. Of course I don't expect a perfect sim; nothing ever is, but maybe it can replace Fly2 for me. Anyway like or not like, I'll be willing to support them just so this kind of software keeps being made instead of yet more shooters. I ordered it this morning. :)I did stumble upon the Inside Passage site and that looks pretty nice from what I can see in the screenies.Can I fly instrument approaches OK with the stock aircrafts? I often enjoy lowering visibility (rain, fog, snow, etc) and making a flight just with instruments once I get the hang of a sim. Thanks for the helicopter recommendation, although I'm more of a fixed wing guy... but I've seen some nice looking payware ones so hopefully I'll find something good. I don't need a LOT of different ones - just a handful of really good ones is enough.

5.) This system would convert satellite pictures from google-earth into scenery, but has had troubles with copyright issues. I am not sure it is still available...
Oh, too bad - I saw some nice looking screen shots made with it.

Hi Frank,welcome aboard :( !Yes, you can fly instrument approaches just fine with the stock aircraft, plus there are dozens of great freeware aircraft to be downloaded - some of them absolutely payware quality! Try going to that "other" site (not sure if mentioning it here is encouraged) - they have the largest repository of downloadable content. In my opinion, it is especially the low-visibility instrument approach situation where X-Plane really shines. While it is impossible to set a really true overcast "no-look-through" cloud layer in FSX (shame on them for that!), you will find setting up some challenging Non-Prec, CATI or even CATII approaches fun in X-Plane. My only complaint is that the lowest RVR you can set is something like 200m, but most airports offer take-offs down to 125m, so there is room for improvement.You can also find some great freeware scenery enhancements, as the stock scenery has basically NO airport buildings (except for LOWI), which is a real and true shock to most ex- MSFS users. Try this link: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=30718If you have any further questions feel free to ask. While this forum is not near as frequented as the main forum for X-Plane, it is certainly growing slowly but surely.Have fun, Jan

Guest Setanta

Thought I'd add my take on your questions...

(1) How much of the aftermarket things work on the Linux version? Do the payware airplanes? The scenery packages? How about freeware things? I tried the 9.xx demo and it ran well on my system but I can't try the add-ons on the demo.
When it comes to aircraft and scenery they are all cross platform by nature - the same files work OS X, Windows and Linux whether payware or freeware. The one time you might run into problems is with plug-ins which have to be compiled for each individual platform. That said, for the most part these are provided by the authors for all three platforms where practical/possible.
(2) If I want to get an area - say a US state - with a few dozen airports populated with 3D objects, is that possible? I know the default airports are bare runway/taxiways but are enough add-ons available to make it possible?
While I haven't seen many packages which do this either pay or freeware, there are a few around. Mostly you will find individual airports produced by someone fairly local to them. That said, liberal use of search on the X-Plane sites should get you plenty of airports in any given US state. It's just a little more work but hey, most of them are freeware :)
(3) I know one weakness of the sim is AI traffic. Are there any good add-ons to address that?
Sadly nothing that I know of as yet, though it's something I'm surprised nobody has as yet made as a plugin.
(4) I'm fond of being able to use actual checklists for aircraft procedures such as startup. How well does that work with the included airplanes? How about the payware ones? I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars on payware products (a mix of terrains and airplanes).
For the most part, checklists work pretty well. you might want to try the 'Checklister' plugin at some stage. Obviously there are some limitations, and many of the checklists I've come across online disagree with one another even for the same aircraft which is a tad worrying. With many of the better payware aircraft and some freeware the author supplies a checklist in some format (often a pdf) which has been modified to suit the model in question though based closely on the real-world equivalent.
(5) When I was googling I thought I'd found an x-plane site with a util to import terrain bitmaps from web services as game sceneries. But now I can't find it. Was I imagining it?
The best known version of this was sadly PC only and i believe it is now defunct. It was legally a bit of a minefield so I'm guessing that was the reason it's now gone. The original it was based on was for MSFS though I don't know if those authors have run into the same problems.Enjoy X-Planing:)Setanta

Guest Frank10
When it comes to aircraft and scenery they are all cross platform by nature - the same files work OS X, Windows and Linux whether payware or freeware.
Thanks, Setanta. I was pretty sure the sceneries would be OK, but was worried that the aircrafts would require Windows executable DLLs or so. But if not, then happy :).

Hi Frank !I'm using X-Plane on a Linux only system and I have no problems with add-ons. Even the excellent Mitsubishi MU-2 Marquise from X-Aviation (with DRM) is working fine. But you have to check or ask each time if there's Linux support or not. I know only one add-on that does not work with Linux: GNS 430 & GNS 530 gauges by Reality XP because they're based on the 32 bits Garmin GNS Trainer.Best regards and happy flying.

Background: way back when I used to like TR's Fly2, and before that, enjoyed Flight Unlimited. I've probably bought 4 versions of the MSFS program, but have always come away disappointed for some reason or another, and I don't think I want to buy any more versions of that, plus there is no Linux version available.I've been out of the hobby for a long time, but now that Fly2 is no more developed, I am considering to try x-plane. The bonus is there is a Linux version: I'm basically done with Windows any more - my main computer doesn't even have it installed! Also I don't like the military sims, I prefer civilian ones, and this seems like the prog with the most promising future.So my questions are:(1) How much of the aftermarket things work on the Linux version? Do the payware airplanes? The scenery packages? How about freeware things? I tried the 9.xx demo and it ran well on my system but I can't try the add-ons on the demo.(2) If I want to get an area - say a US state - with a few dozen airports populated with 3D objects, is that possible? I know the default airports are bare runway/taxiways but are enough add-ons available to make it possible?(3) I know one weakness of the sim is AI traffic. Are there any good add-ons to address that?(4) I'm fond of being able to use actual checklists for aircraft procedures such as startup. How well does that work with the included airplanes? How about the payware ones? I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars on payware products (a mix of terrains and airplanes).(5) When I was googling I thought I'd found an x-plane site with a util to import terrain bitmaps from web services as game sceneries. But now I can't find it. Was I imagining it?Thanks for infos :)
(1) You must buy the full version in order to enjoy the add-ons. This never happens on the rival's (FSX) demo, most add-ons work there.(2) That is possible, very possible :), if you set the scenery bar to maximum. There are hundreds of add-ons on the X-Plane freeware site if you would like to :)(3) No, not at the moment.(4) That works very well, even with sims other than XP. If you do the things correctly you'll be OK.(5) I'll check that out first...