Sign in to follow this  
harrydoucette

Windows 7 processes

I just reformatted my pc, installed windows 7 (32) still have 40 odd processes, any recommendations on what processes and/or services i can get rid of? i have no firewalls or ant-virus.I want more speed, J4100 is a hard ol' fella on the machineanyone out there have any recommendations on what i can do?Intel Core

Disabling services is hardly going to net you any benefit at all on a modern PC. We do not recommend following service disabling tweak guides - there's been several instances where use of them caused problems with our products. Much more important than disabling services is making sure there's no unnecessary third party programs running in the system tray, making sure your drivers are all up to date and that your hard drives are properly defragged.The only things that give you a serious performance improvement in FSX are hardware upgrades and overclocking.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Exactly, the only services you should be stopping are services you created from installing whatever you may have installed. If it is a fresh install then I seriously doubt you have 40 processes running and most likely you have the box at the bottom of task manager checked that says "Show Processes from all users". The best way to get rid of unwanteds is to look at your system clock area (right side) and look at what is running from things you may have hooked up such as HP printers, them alone come with about 3 to 7 processes that are crap spam for ink. Anti virus is another that depending what you have may have a ton of processes running (I Never us Anti virus crap personally). Also make sure you don't have windows side bar things running aka Gadgets. It's not the default processes running that is causing slowness.Even with my system I follow a strict flow before I run FSX, perhaps it will help you some:Reboot before launching, always.Let system fully load and come to idle (you can check task manager at this point to see if any processes are spiking the cpu usage).Lauch whatever addons you need prior to FSX such as FSBuild if your going to do a FP, ASA and again, let it come to idle, then FSX.Windows 7 32 bit in itself may cause other issues but if anything it shouldn't have more processes running than 64 bit. I have 64 and my last install was months ago and have about 14 processes running even with 3 for my Matrox unit, 1 for TrackIR and a couple for my Saitek profiler,,, hmmm I should get rid of that crap while I'm looking :(Hope this helps,

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Ryan!

... Much more important than disabling services is making sure there's no unnecessary third party programs running in the system tray, making sure your drivers are all up to date and that your hard drives are properly defragged.
Hmm, I understand where you're coming from when stressing the need for defragging, but in my ongoing struggles with Windows 7 I appear to have encountered a built-in problem.For years many of us have faithfully defragged our disks for fsx, but in W7 there is an advanced form of something called "shadow copies" (VSS). This seemingly has an unexpected conseqence: allow me to quote from the O&O defrag manual

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

So whilst I can seriously sympathise with a blanket recommendation not to disable services (which has to be where the smart money would go) nonetheless it seems that by letting Windows 7 do its thing we effectively lose the ability to defrag our disk. :( But although Microsoft's own defragger suffers from the same problem, O&O carefully refrain from suggesting that the VSS service should be disabled, so I'm not sure where that leaves us.But I do know that hundreds of files on my disk are getting fragmented almost as fast as I can defragment them again! :( And presumably the VSS process is running alongside fsx, too, sapping some of our precious cpu and I/O resources...Cheers,Brian
There are always two schools to whether to play with services or any other tweaks as far as that goes. Best advice I found is fully understand exactly what it is that you are doing before doing it and make your own informed decision.I don

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

So yes, I'd like to disable the thing for several reasons, but so far the jury's still out concerning possible unfortunate side-effects. :( Having spent as long as I have getting fsx working properly on my new machine, I'd be *very* unhappy if I got hit by some sort of block corruption problem on my disk and had to start again.Fortunately, I've always stuck to XP 64-bit on my main fsx box! :( Cheers,Brian
Hi Bran, your call of course but should you decide to kill it here is some instructions on how to do it http://www.howtohaven.com/system/turn-off-...opy-vista.shtml

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Hi Ryan!Hmm, I understand where you're coming from when stressing the need for defragging, but in my ongoing struggles with Windows 7 I appear to have encountered a built-in problem.For years many of us have faithfully defragged our disks for fsx, but in W7 there is an advanced form of something called "shadow copies" (VSS). This seemingly has an unexpected conseqence: allow me to quote from the O&O defrag manual

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I just reformatted my pc, installed windows 7 (32) still have 40 odd processes, any recommendations on what processes and/or services i can get rid of? i have no firewalls or ant-virus.I want more speed, J4100 is a hard ol' fella on the machineanyone out there have any recommendations on what i can do?Intel Core

Brian,I have always disabled System Restore (and thus VSC) basically since the Windows XP days. If you know how to take care of your machine (ie, are a power user, gamer etc) then I've always found it basically unnecessary. There's a few instances where it can be nice to have, but I've never found myself needing to use it really.It's also not an issue if you install your games and FS to a separate HD, as you won't have system restore on for that drive anyway, just the OS drive.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gentlemen,Thank you for your various replies, which have encouraged me to take the plunge. I never found the system restore feature to be of any practical help anyway, so it wasn't really a hard decision

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg