Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Active Camera now payware :-(

Ah, another complaint against people wanting more in compensation for their effort than hatemails and complaints.If you don't think it's worth the money, noone forces you to buy it.Myself, I never used it and I don't miss it.

Guest metamarty

Yes, and a valid complaint too. Although I've always been very relaxed towards payware, this is starting to hurt me too. Back in the days of fs5 and fs98 we created stuff because we loved to do that. Creating software costs time, so does surfing websites and gathering new freeware aircraft for yourself. Why is it that creating something that others might find usefull should automatically be compensated?If I hadn't put my time in the SB/PC server, I would have been surfing the web looking for addons. Instead, I created something others could use. It was rewarding and I learned a lot. Because it's freeware, everybody can now have fun. What greater reward would you need?A community is all about sharing. Give what you can so everyone benefits. When was the last time you visited a friend and he charged you for a cup of coffee? This sounds absurd, but he has every right to do so. That coffee cost him money in the first place.Now before going out to pay for active camera, which is a utility I absolutely love, I'll leave you with something to cheer you up. The SB/PC and client code has been legally protected. Noone is allowed to ask money for its use. These rules are strictly enforced, so nobody has to worry about the future of online ATC flying.To round it up, I don't care for the money. They can have my $20, it's just the feeling of people no longer sharing in a community that hurts me.Thanks for listening,Marty

sad attitude there my man... gimmie gimmie gimmie is what is really starting to be my biggest pet peave amoung the community here.everybody want's all their toys given to them for free....I'd prefer people like you went away, while I pay for what I want.

I couldnt agree more with Marty. This road will lead to quality add-ons only payware, and only interest for money, not the hobby.

I've allways ben a calm person, who at least try's to undertand other people and they point of view regarding different maters.... but with this notice about active camera being payware I'v reached the limits of comprehention!!! :-fume :-fume :-bang :~P It's absolutly insane to charge 15$ for an itsy bitsy litle program about 50 command lines lenght and that serves for so litle.:-fume :-fume :-bang :~P I'm passing on this one thank you! I'm not a programer, im a biologist (bitech) but I love computers and can certainly find my way around in programs such as delphy, pascal, basic, Qbasic, and visualC. Together with some computer science friend here at university I bet that in 2 months max I could arrange you all a substitute and a bether one!!!I never complain about freeware, I uderstand the efort, passion, comitement, and time put in these kind of programs, BUT as soon as they become payware I demand quality value and funcionality, period. And active camera fails in all of the above....So rest assured I'll try my best together with some more help to provide you with a "program" that assigns to a mouse some keystrokes..

Looking forward to your new and improved version ;-)

Guest CargoMun

Its a rediculous high price. Just looked at the whole LA Mega Scenery package and thats $30 for comparison :-rollPity though, I liked Active Camera but its nowhere near as invaluable as FSUIPC. At least camera angles can be changed manually for Meljet and others :)

Guest SoarPics

I'll be passing on this one, too.The price does seem a bit steep, but if they can get customers at that price, I say more power to them.It's the machine binding thing that will keep me from buying. What a pain!!!!!!!! Intrusion and inconvenience, that's all binding accomplishes. I'm getting ready in the next couple of weeks to drop a WD Raptor in my box... so then I would have to send to the makers an e-mail asking for another authorization code!!! And they'll get back to me "in a day or so". DOHHHH!!!Figure it out, developers... we don't do this at YOUR convenience. Why should honest customers pay the price of admission, and then have to deal with being treated like theives? Why should we be intruded upon and inconvienced because we choose to be honest?As jwenting said... no one is forcing us to buy this stuff. And golly gee, ain't that the truth. The developers will figure this out... either before they close up shop or after. Before or after makes little difference to the consumer.

People brought machine binding onto themselves by "sharing" software with their friends, neighbours, family and colleagues who would then "share" it with their friends and their friends' friends, etc.I'd rather have a piece of software that's locked to my hardware (if there is a good mechanism to get it reenabled if the hardware changes) than having a piece of software that costs several times what it could to account for the lost sales due to piracy.

Guest SoarPics

"People brought machine binding onto themselves by "sharing" software with their friends, neighbours, family and colleagues who would then "share" it with their friends and their friends' friends, etc."I didn't bring it on myself... because I've NEVER "shared" my payware with anybody. Why would I? I paid for it, if someone else wants it, let them pay for it, too.Sorry, you will never succeed in convincing me that binding a software to hardware will succeed. Hardware changes too quickly... especially in the gaming end of computing. Binding is short sighted at best.

Now before you all jump on the creators of active camera do yourself a favour and test the shareware version.Just do this:- Install- Start at KSEA jump to the VC- Enable Internal Pilot View- Enable Wheel Zoom in VCYou now have smooth proportional headmovement in the VC you can zoom effortless with the Mousewheel and thanks to the MS clickable VC you can do al your flying from here. Users of the PIC A320 will know what I'm talking about. Once you use this you will never want to switch back to the 2D cockpit ever again.Tested the shareware version for 2 minutes and found out that they managed to add this much needed functionality to FS2004. Bought it immediately its well worth the asking price.If you want to blame someone blame Microsoft. I find it incredible that an FS2002 add-on like PIC does cickable VC's better than the new FS2004. The wheelmouse in the VC interface is so natural that I find it unbelievable that Microsoft didn't make it a standard.I would be suprised if a new programer matches this functionality and releases it as freeware but you're welcome. In the meantime just test this software to see what I'm rambaling about.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest CargoMun

>I'd rather have a piece of software that's locked to my>hardware (if there is a good mechanism to get it reenabled if>the hardware changes) than having a piece of software that>costs several times what it could to account for the lost>sales due to piracy.Thats all fine and well, but just seems to me that in a lot of cases the (honest) end user ends up dealing with both :(

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

"community is all about sharing" Totally agree Marty, it's also about helping others. The way things are going, this "community" will become so elitist (for the wealthy only) there will be no community. Perhaps Tom should start "a what have you bought today" forum. I too remember the days of FS4, FS5 so on. Back then it was Compuserve who were the main players for FS community. The people involved back then realy did have a love for what they were doing. Alas Fs is following what would appear the way of the world at the moment. We do however, have to remember, Flight simulation is a rather selfish hobby in the first place. Not many will understand that, so I make no apologies for this statement.For the software mentioned, personally $15 US is way way overpriced and will be following JT's advice and not bothering. I'm on the edge in regards to FS in general, I don't like how it's going in attitudes and I flatly refuse to spend thousands on upgrading my system simply to play a game. I'd rather spend it on my family and have some real enjoyment.In terms of add ons, there are some that frankly, are complete and utter rubbish, of course it's my choice to buy, but what I mean is they should never have been released in the first place. It would appear there is an element of this community who will buy just about anything for any cost, for as long as these people are around (and lets face it, many wont be)it isnt going to get better.Before the rich kids with credit cards flame me. What I mean by they wont be around, is they'll have moved on to the next must have game. AD

The news on Active Camera is not suprising. Seems everyone is jumping on the money train these days. I'm just wondering what will be next? Will it be Squawkbox, Servinfo, etc. Gone are the days of helping out the flightsim community. It's time to get paid.

The machine binding is over the top for me. I don't want to have to hunt someone down if I ever change anything in my system. (And if they no longer exist, where exactly do I find these two other companies with the key generation?)"Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!"