Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

Kudos/Praise In Order

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, it's time to give some credit here. Carenado has just released the bush versions of the Cessna 185. As someone who has been wanting a GOOD Cessna 185 since the days of FS98, and as someone who flew the machine in real world bush operations in northern Canada for a number of years on floats and wheel/skis, I know how important the Carenado machine is to the FS bush world. The visual modelling is nothing short of spectacular, and when I "sit" in this virtual model, it gives me a very familiar feeling. In fact, in the hangar where I currently work as an Avionics Technician, we have a 185 amphib having a glass cockpit installed currently. I was sitting in the machine just yesterday, and it looked very, very much like what it does as I sit in the Carenado virtual model.Beyond that though, is Carenado's supreme desire to bring you the best package, not just the visual model, possible. When the wheeled version of the 185 was first released, I found it to have some significant issues. Carenado could easily have let my email to them slide, as the model was released, and not that many people in FS-Land had actual time in the airplane anyway, so they wouldn't notice the difference. They didn't accept the easy way out though, and gave its blessings to Bernt (a VERY experienced aircraft FDE designer) and myself (with the real world time but not the expertise in building) to see what we could do. I'm happy to say that the results (thanks to Bernt) were very successful, and those patches were made available through Carenado to all who had the wheeled version. In addition, those files were used as the base files for the bush versions that have been released today, of which we had input on the minor adjustments to those, allowing for the different configurations. Carenado paid great attention to the details, even the minute adjustments that I sent their way that likely many people wouldn't even notice. It is to their credit that they went the extra distance on this airplane, and it is probably one of the finest models of a bush plane ever devised for FS, that truly displays the different characteristics of the different configurations for a single aircraft. The wheeled version not only looks different to the float version, it feels different. Believe me, in real life, it IS different.So while I'm biased about this aircraft due to my involvement, it is only fair that Carenado receive all the credit and every FS bush pilot's thanks for producing an airplane that is such an integral part of bush flying since the mid 60's (and the 180 before it), and to not letting it out the door until things were as close to perfect as it could be. Not every designer can make that claim. You, the user, are the benefactors of their dedication.I am certain you will enjoy the 185 in your bush travels. If you have questions about the flying characteristics of this machine, I will make myself available (when you can actually pry me out of it from within the sim, that is :( ) and will try to answer any queries you might have. Please remember that we are talking FSX here, and there are some unavoidable limitations with it, so not everything was able to be modelled perfectly. But boy, they got real close!Lastly, I'd like to thank Carenado for letting me be a part of this wonderful project. The 185 isn't the first airplane I have of Carenado's, and it sure won't be the last. Thanks guys!Glenn

You, the user, are the benefactors of their dedication.
... and it is very much appreciated :(And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to explore Tongass fjords with my brand-new C185 on floats.

Glenn,Having just made a flight from Kenmore Air Harbor to Lake Wenatchee in the float-equipped 185, I have to add my praises here to Carenado. I've wanted a 185 for FS since, oh, forever, and here it is. Wheels, wheel/skis, floats...oh, yeah. I haven't flown anything else in weeks. I love this airplane!I want to add my voice to what is sure to be a chorus of praise for the work you and Bernt have put into refining this package. The float plane does indeed FEEL different from the one on wheels! When the 185 on wheels came out, I bought the Cessna PIH for the 1982 A185F, which includes all the variants we have now, and right out of the box, the float plane matches the performance in the book to a very reasonable degree (bearing in mind that NO airplane matches the book performance exactly), and danged if it ain't a hoot to follow a winding valley for miles and round the last bend to where the valley opens out into a lake. I'm going to be doing a LOT more of this kind of flying, I'll tell you.Thanks, to Carenado, to Bernt, and to you...for taking my flight sim experience, at last, to where I've wanted it to go.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest Sky_6
1asi002.gifThankyou Glenn, Bernt and Carenado.... Fantastic Job !

Guest BeaverDriver

That's great, glad you guys are enjoying it! This was about 80% Carenado, 15% Bernt and 5% me, so those folks are the ones to get the real credit here. If it weren't for Carenado, we'd still be flogging the bush without a 185 :( . Sure am glad they came up with this project! Enjoy the airplane!

1asi002.gifThankyou Glenn, Bernt and Carenado.... Fantastic Job !
DittoBeaverDriver, I have a question for you.If you were blindfolded could you tell the difference in the sounds or handling of the base C185F and the new Tundra model? If so, what and how? Just curious. Thanks.RayM

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Guest BeaverDriver
DittoBeaverDriver, I have a question for you.If you were blindfolded could you tell the difference in the sounds or handling of the base C185F and the new Tundra model? If so, what and how? Just curious. Thanks.RayM
I actually don't know. I've not flown the tundra tire version. I'm assuming it's the same as the ski/sea and amphib versions are the same insofar as I can tell. Now that said, my hearing isn't very good, so there might be subtle differences that I can't pick up. The sounds are something I would like to see improved to be honest. The sounds are correct for the type, but I don't hear any decrease in sound from full throttle to climb power (25 squared), and there should be. I've been working it in FS Sound Studio and it's accurate there, but it doesn't translate into the aircraft for some reason. I need to figure out why that is.Probably not much help to you on this, but it's all I have at the moment. :(