Sign in to follow this  
Guest Air1

FS2004 - Wait before you buy...LOTS of problems!

Guest Edam

It looks great, it runs great, and there have been no problems here.Suggesting that people don't buy it is off the mark. There may possibly be system related issues with ANY piece of software that one purchases. Yes, it's annoying, but they can be worked out eventually.

KP, I do have the latest from CH's website. Did nothing for my control issues which BTW are fine in FS2002. Thanks.Pat

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Guest cw1011

In the interests of ballance - from my perspective:1. Things that could be better: - Radeon 9700 Pro flickering problem during load ups, view switching and every time you hit "alt." Not life threatening unless you suffer from epilepsy, but really annying none-the-less. - Inabability to undock windows in full screen. This would bother me less if switching to windowed mode didn't entail all the flickering noted above! - Lack of key landmark bridges. I live in Portland where we have about 9 or 10 bridges over the Willamette and three over the Columbia. Very few are rendered in this version. - I have had crashes but, in general, they are the result of conflicting add-ons that are not compatible. I've done about four installs with different add-ons included and it is running fine with no crashes. - Frames going through broken clouds close to the ground can drop to single digits. This is a horsepower issue. Frame runs wonderfully smoothly at all other times for me. 2. Things that are great: - New interactive VCs will make you forget about using multiple monitors - esp. for the Lear and the DF C310. - Night textures and night sky are wonderful. - New weather and sky are out of this world. - I like the new ATC - was more than able to complete an IFR flight following instructions from the controllers. - The sim is smoother than FS2002 - even with the new weather engine. It really is more cinematic. - Colors seem more vibrant than in past edition - it really looks wonderful on my monitor with FS Genesis mesh and landclass add-ons. - The new ground haze is very realistic. All in all, I am really beginning to like the product. I am pretty sure that ATI will fix the flickering issue, which is my biggest complaint - but I am not willing to condemn the product as either buggy or "too many unresolved issues." I think you will be pleased. ColinDell Dimension 8100upgraded to p4 2.6/400fsb using Powerleap socket adapter764 megs of RAMBUSRadeon 9700 Pro 128Catalyst 3.6 drivers from July 16

This Sim is the best yet. It runs perfectly on my system and I have had no IFR glitches in all my flights yet. Just superb so I have removed FS2002 from the drive now. These clouds are just beautiful...Athlon XP 2800 1000 of RamTi4200 128mbDX9a

Guest artl

>I really envy you guys - pro's and con's set aside, at least>you've had the chance to try the sim.>>I can't even get the damn program to load passed the splash>screen...!>>Toni. At least you get to the splash screen. I have spent 36 hours installing and searching all the hints in all of the forums, and I cannot yet get it to install.Crashes to BSOD at the scenery-decompression stage, even though all the CABs can be decompressed manually with the built-in XP CAB extractor.System:AMD XP2200+1gb memory50 gb free hard drive +or-ASUS V8420 128mb TI4200 videoASUS A7V333 moboI am angry and I am giving up. Compared to the staight-forward install and operation of FS2002, this has been a disaster for me.Art.

wait a second.... Mr. 'Doooh' how'd u fly on VATSIM using FS2004????!!!!!I though fs2004 wasn't compatible with squawk box? or am i wrong?Thanks,Al

wait a second.... Mr. 'Doooh' how'd u fly on VATSIM using FS2004????!!!!!I thought fs2004 wasn't compatible with squawk box? or am i wrong?Thanks,Al

wait a second.... Mr. 'Doooh' how'd u fly on VATSIM using FS2004????!!!!!I thought fs2004 wasn't compatible with squawk box? or am i wrong?Thanks,Al

Guest ssurjap

See what happens if you disable the background programs.StartRunMSCONFIGIn the General tab, click SELECTIVE STARTUP and UNCHECK LOAD STARTUP ITEMS.Hit ApplyCloseRESTART

TROL ALERT!Another whiner. One single post and it's a flame against FS2004.Sounds a lot like the people from the old Fly! forum when FS2002 came out, who'd never seen the sim yet flamed it for being bad.

I have to weigh in here....My guess is that 9 times out of 10 computer games do not run properly because of the system. It is not Microsofts fault that people have crappy machines, or not enough equipment to make their games work. Anyone should know this. You are only able to do what your computer will allow you to do. Words of advice,"UPGRADE!" You read more posts about how crappy FS9 is because there are millions of people who are too busy playing the darn thing because it works. If you want to try the game go for it. Just remember those specs on the side of the box are for minimum requirements and you may not be able to run with the sliders on full.There, the soap box is now available for the next ranter....

Jerom your one of the most sarcastic individuals on this forum, you can't talk about anyone whining... All that was posted here was one person's observations, what's wrong with that??? I agree with him and I'll go a step further by saying I think the cloud issue needs to get addressed. All this crap about ATI needing to fix their drivers so we can play our game better is ridicules; Microsoft needs to fix their mess. Put the blame where it's do. What's funny to me is 99.9% of all Flight Simulator users are using either Nividia or ATI cards. How in the world could Microsoft release a package that's not fully compatible with these two cards (let me put it a different way, both cards have issues with FS2k4)? Most of their core following hasn't used anything else much since the Voodoo series. This is one fact that let's me know a ball was dropped somewhere. I could see the game not working on one or the other card but both is truly complacent. I personally hate the fact that allot of gauges aren

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Mine is even slower.... P3 800MHz, geforce3 pure 64MB, 384MB ram, Windows XP.The *only* problem I've had is when the real-world weather popped up the dialup connect dialog minimizing the sim at a time when I'm unable to or don't want to connect to the internet--if I click cancel, I can't restore the sim and need to ctrl-alt-delete to kill it. However, if I leave the dialog alone, I can restore the sim and fly normally....Otherwise, I'm getting much better performance in most cases than I ever expected on this low-end PC.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

>All that was>posted here was one person's observations, what's wrong with>that??? Because I would think that.... that "one person" would have read many other "favorable" postings around here........... before coming to a conclusion that we should wait on purchasing the sim, until problems are addressed.I get very aggrevated with postings such as these! It's as though the writer has "blinders", and disregards any other positive posting, in order to make their personal point. They don't seem to go to the trouble of spelling out "why", their results should effect everybody..L.Adamson