Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

HIGHMEMFIX

Hi,Is Bojote's HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak relevant for those, like me, who are still diehard XP 32 fans?I suspect the answer will be no as it "Fixes errors with texture addressing modes in WDDM1.0 and 1.1 when using a lot of video memory"From Wikipedia: "Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM, also WVDDM during the Vista time-frame) is the graphic driver architecture for video card drivers running Microsoft Windows versions beginning with Windows Vista."Have I just answered my own question..LOL!Mike

Hi,Is Bojote's HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak relevant for those, like me, who are still diehard XP 32 fans?I suspect the answer will be no as it "Fixes errors with texture addressing modes in WDDM1.0 and 1.1 when using a lot of video memory"From Wikipedia: "Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM, also WVDDM during the Vista time-frame) is the graphic driver architecture for video card drivers running Microsoft Windows versions beginning with Windows Vista."Have I just answered my own question..LOL!Mike
Mike, you are correct :)XP does not have this problems :) besides, when FSX was released there was no 'Vista' yet :) so, the MS team was 'aware' that there was something needed to 'fix' problems under WDDM. SO, you have two options... you keep flying under XP.. or, you can finally without worry make the move to Win7

Mike, you are correct :)XP does not have this problems :) besides, when FSX was released there was no 'Vista' yet :) so, the MS team was 'aware' that there was something needed to 'fix' problems under WDDM. SO, you have two options... you keep flying under XP.. or, you can finally without worry make the move to Win7
Hi *******,Thanks for the confirmation. Nah, who wants these fancy 'new' operating systems when XP still does the business just fine thank you very much :)Tell you one thing though, after several months of FSX neglect and disillusionment, your inspired UsePools=0 tweak has suddenly dragged me back to the fold. I was very sceptical about whether this would work on my setup, and was fully prepared for either a graphic nightmare or software crash. Instead, low and behold, what I witnessed can only be described as a long overdue miracle!I can honestly say that this is the first time I've seen this sim run so smoothly. Frame rate anchored (as usual) at 20, not one stutter, textures snapping into focus all around and into the distance and no matter the chosen view. All this seen on full screen with lots of clouds in the sky while skimming across the landscape around Friday Harbour in the Extra with the throttle maxed out. Fantastic!!! I was still seeing the occasional graphic spike, but reducing the autogen one notch got rid of those.Now I know its early days, but this is very encouraging and it will be fascinating to see how the sim behaves in different situations.I just had to share my initial excitement with you as, to be frank, before this tweak came along I had all but given up on FSX. FS9 has been my primary sim for years and it still runs great. Also, it looks fantastic with REX FS2004, Ground Environment Pro and Ultimate Terrain.I'm not sure whether this tweak is supposed to work on my hardware setup which, it has to be said, is not the fastest on the planet but remains very capable nonetheless. Anyway, it does work and I thank you for it.Best regards,Mike :)ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (AM2CPU Board), AMD Athlon 64X2 6400+ (BE,3200MHz,Windsor), Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12(2T) (Dual Channel), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB (DDR3) (Forceware 195.62 WHQL), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 6.00.0001.1371), Antec NeoHE 650W PSU, Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), DirectX 9.0c

Am I the only one!?It would be interesting to know.Mike

Am I the only one!?It would be interesting to know.Mike
Hi Mike,I also have WinXP 32, with a Q6600 (OC to 3 GHz) on a GA-X38T-DQ6 with 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 8800GTS (786 M) video card.I have the HighMemFix in my .cfg file and it seemed to make a difference, maybe a placebo :)I have tried UsePools=0, and while the sim is certainly much smoother, I also have pauses that last for up to several seconds, worse when in high density scenery or in a complex aircraft. So, for now, I have disabled the UserPools tweak (set at =1). I'm looking at a new video card although not entirely sure if that will help, and eventually will upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM.Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Mike,I also have WinXP 32, with a Q6600 (OC to 3 GHz) on a GA-X38T-DQ6 with 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 8800GTS (786 M) video card.I have the HighMemFix in my .cfg file and it seemed to make a difference, maybe a placebo :)I have tried UsePools=0, and while the sim is certainly much smoother, I also have pauses that last for up to several seconds, worse when in high density scenery or in a complex aircraft. So, for now, I have disabled the UserPools tweak (set at =1). I'm looking at a new video card although not entirely sure if that will help, and eventually will upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM.Thanks, Bruce.
Hi Bruce,Thanks for contributing :)Now that is interesting. I haven't had time to do much more testing, but clearly I need to up the ante re. scenery complexity and see what transpires. I forgot to mention that I do still see the odd white texture flash now and again, but no worse than before adding this tweak (UsePools=0).BTW, I didn't know that there was a 786MB variant of the 8800GTS. Could it be the 768MB GTX?Regards,Mike

Also on WinXP 32, e8400 @4.07 Ghz, 4GB 1066 DDR2, Geforce 9800 GTX+ on an Asus P5Q Deluxe board.UsePools=0 smoothed things out and increased framerates considerably. I too was getting pauses. Using a high TextureMaxLoad (under [DISPLAY]) and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT got rid of them. Also, be sure to lower your framerate lock. Too high a framerate can also produce pauses and graphic problems.Randall

Also on WinXP 32, e8400 @4.07 Ghz, 4GB 1066 DDR2, Geforce 9800 GTX+ on an Asus P5Q Deluxe board.UsePools=0 smoothed things out and increased framerates considerably. I too was getting pauses. Using a high TextureMaxLoad (under [DISPLAY]) and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT got rid of them. Also, be sure to lower your framerate lock. Too high a framerate can also produce pauses and graphic problems.Randall
Hi Randall,All useful stuff - thanks!If we are to assume the truth of *******' (Bojote) findings, what puzzles me is that I appear to be going against the grain, :"you need to start forgeting EVERYTHING you have learned in the past 4 years.. specially things like:(AntiAliasing) but only when it is controlled by nHancer(Anisotripic Filtering) again, ONLY if controlled by nHancervSync set to ON (this is a KILLER).........So, if you want to give this tweak a try, you need to start by using the application controlled AntiaAlias and Anisotropic filters, you need to also force vSync to OFF"I use nHancer for both AA and AF (following Nick's recommendations), and vSync is always ON to avoid seeing ugly tearing.Perhaps I am misinterpreting what he has written.Mike

Guest UlfB
...Perhaps I am misinterpreting what he has written....
Nope. The deal is that if you have problems with the tweaks (BP=0) you have to decrease image quality to get the high fps.The important thing is what your goal is when you tweak your system and FSX. If you have av smooth flights in FSX and appreciate the IQ when using nHancer with high AA settings, the tweaks recommended by ******* might not be what your'e looking for.I do not use the BP=0 tweaks because it doesn't improve anything on my system. Giving up image quality to make the tweak work seems somewhat strange to me.I do use the HIGHMEMFIX=1, because it cures the problem with loosing textures when flying heavy duty add on aircraft over very dense urban areas. But that tweak seems to have no effect on performance or image quality.Note that other simmers have had very positive experiences with the BP=0 tweaks. They seem to be able to fly FSX with all display sliders set to max values and have smooth flights with no graphical artifacts, blurries or stutters.

Nope. The deal is that if you have problems with the tweaks (BP=0) you have to decrease image quality to get the high fps.The important thing is what your goal is when you tweak your system and FSX. If you have av smooth flights in FSX and appreciate the IQ when using nHancer with high AA settings, the tweaks recommended by ******* might not be what your'e looking for.I do not use the BP=0 tweaks because it doesn't improve anything on my system. Giving up image quality to make the tweak work seems somewhat strange to me.I do use the HIGHMEMFIX=1, because it cures the problem with loosing textures when flying heavy duty add on aircraft over very dense urban areas. But that tweak seems to have no effect on performance or image quality.Note that other simmers have had very positive experiences with the BP=0 tweaks. They seem to be able to fly FSX with all display sliders set to max values and have smooth flights with no graphical artifacts, blurries or stutters.
Hi Ulf,Again, very valuable info - thank you!IQ remains very good on my setup just using the "UsePools=0" tweak. What was noticeable was the immediate uniform smooth screen and texture update without spiking and much less white texture flashing whereas before I was experience mini stuttering, occasional brief pauses (never longer than a second) and, at times, sluggish ground texture image processing (?)/update causing some blurring. This tweak seems to have stopped the stuttering and ground texture blurring, but I still see very occasional mini pauses which, I suspect, is simply the component due to the periodic fetching of new data off the HD. The flashing is much less and the spiking seems to have gone :)I do, of course, have to keep in mind that my cpu and gpu are way behind what many of you lucky guys are currently using, so I'll never be able to run the sim maxed out on my current hardware, nor do I expect to do so. What I disliked about what I was seeing was the stuttering, blurring, spiking and flashing. Never bad, mind you, but bad enough to discourage me from flying the sim very often unless I kept way clear of complex scenery and aircraft. On the face of it, this "UsePools=0" tweak has, it would appear, allowed my cpu/gpu combo to work more efficiently. But then, what do I know..LOL!It has been established that the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" is irrelevant on XP based systems, so I've removed it.Any thoughts as to whether you think the "TextureMaxLoad=x" is likely to prove of much value on my setup?Mike

It has been established that the "HIGHMEMFIX=1" is irrelevant on XP based systems, so I've removed it.
So far, however I do believe 'some' XP users experience a 'cream screen of death' issue.. and I'm not sure if HIGHMEMFIX will fix those. So unless we hear back from MS, the only thing it fixes so far is WDDM (Vista/Win7) and yes, MS is 'aware' of this, you'll know more about this HIGHMMEFIX issue soon ;)

Thanks Randall, I will try those suggestions.Bruce.