Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

A MAJOR INCREASE IN FRAMERATES...READ HERE>>>>

I was stupid and followed exactly the tip of Lawyerpilot, with the result that Bigshot predicted: Reformat the harddisk and reinstall Win XP.Werner

My WinXP is still working but since I maked the change AA isn't working anymore and some aircraft textures refuse to load. I didn't see any framerate increase at all. I've changed back to the normal setting but unfortunatly textures are still not loading.Claudio

Guest daveg4otu

"Oh, the other good tip that I've found is to turn the FPS counter OFF also and if the sim seems smooth then don't worry about it and quit while you're ahead."This is probably the most sensible and certainly the only infallible bit of advice in this thread!Dave

Guest SoarPics

Anybody hear from Ken jackson? He posted a couple days ago that he was going to try this.Ken, are you out there, buddy?Greg

Guest RonB49

"Anybody hear from Ken jackson? He posted a couple days ago that he was going to try this.Ken, are you out there, buddy?"Pleas don't bother Ken; he's busy reformatting. R-

I see no change in framerates applying this tweakHP Pavilion a350nP-IV 2.8 Ghz w/hyperthreading (whoop-de-do)512 RAMNVIDA GeForce 64 mb

Guest paddy

Are there MS-technicians, lurking in the background of this emotional thread? For sure, but as usual they keep their mouthes shut!Paddy.

Guest jmarcure

Hi,I find it interesting reading all the problems this change has. I

Guest jmarcure

Just an update.I carved out a 2gig partition from my largest partition and reset the swap file too it as system managed. I took a quick flight by running the pattern at Mansfield MA and then over to Norwood MA. I don

You are unlikely to get much benefit from having swap files etc on a different partition.... They must be on a different physical hard disk. On the same partition the heads are still thrashing around writing different data to different places and in fact you may make matters worse doing this.If you have Windows on one phisical disk, the swap file on another and a third just for the flight sim data you should get a noticable increase in performance. This is not rocket science it has been done for decades. Programs on one disk and data on another.A big hard disk, therefore, does not help you and may make matters worse because it has to switch continually between different places on the disk surface. You need a FAST hard disk preferably SCSI or even Serial ATA (SATA) if you can't afford SCSI. Most important: You need more than one!You also need a fast graphics card. Sorry but an FX5200 is not fast. That's entry level these days. You should be looking at FX5600 or better. An older GeForce 4 Ti4600 is better than a 5600. I know I have both and then some.You need 1Gb of RAM with Windows XP. That makes a world of difference. Pro is better than Home. In the old days if we wanted out PCs to fly we would simply stick some more RAM in and then turn off the swap file. With the larger amount of memory Windows went like a rocket! It's quite a lot bigger now though so you would probably need 6Gb of RAM or so in order to make it work but it definitely improves substantially when you increase from 512k to 1Gb of RAM and again at 2Gb. CPU power. CPU power. CPU power. Secondary to graphics card but very important.Finally what a lot of people don't understand is that the motherboard is VITAL. Different chipsets can make a vast difference in performance. I have 2 identical machines here except for the motherboard. I won't name the slow one but the fast one is Asus and it is SO much faster that I spent a long time trying to sort out the slow one. I gave up. Gigabyte also make fast motherboards as do SuperMicro and ABit. I don't buy or sell any other manufacturers boards these days if I can help it.I hope this helps someone somewhere. Fiddling with your Windows settings can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. There is no substitute for power. If there was then Windows would be delivered with all these magical settings pre-configured.Oh..... Get Service Pack 2 for XP!David

pittsdevsig.jpg

Ha! Yeah right. I did get toasted and had to re-build. It took only 45+ minutes to get back up with everything in tack thanks to RIS. Anyway, I simply forgot to get back to this thread.My system was fried and could not be reset even with safe mode.Yuck! I won't try this again.Cheers!

Hey Greg. Sorry, I posted above but will repeat here.Ha! Yeah right. I did get toasted and had to re-build. It took only 45+ minutes to get back up with everything in tack thanks to RIS. Anyway, I simply forgot to get back to this thread.My system was fried and could not be reset even with safe mode.Yuck! I won't try this again.Cheers!

Hey Ron. I posted above and will repeat here.Ha! Yeah right. I did get toasted and had to re-build. It took only 45+ minutes to get back up with everything in tack thanks to RIS. Anyway, I simply forgot to get back to this thread.My system was fried and could not be reset even with safe mode.Yuck! I won't try this again.Cheers!

Guest SoarPics

Sorry to hear that, Ken. Hopefully now folks will leave this tweak alone. Setting an XP computer's memory management to "System" gains little if anything. And more often than not results in disaster.Thanks for the (suicidal) testing. Sounds like the reinstall was much easier than most folks would suffer.Cheers,Greg