Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaavoP

FS2004 R22 strobe light fix

Guest PaavoP

All Robinson fans probably found the problem with strobe light - switch is not working correctly, it is dummy and you cant turn on the strobe on the tail. The solution is quite simple.Find this line in aircraft.cfg (aircraft.cfg is located in your "Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/Robinson_R22" directory) file:light.3 = 1, -18.90, 0.04, 2.58, fx_beaconReplace it with this:light.3 = 2, -18.90, 0.04, 2.58, fx_beaconBasically I changed the number after '=' symbol so FS would detect it as a strobe, not beacon light, because the switch in the cocpit controlls only strobe lights.***Looks like MS didn't allow the R22 gauge creator to communicate with the one who created the aircraft.cfg. :D

I too noticed the dead strobe light when I took the Robinson out the other night.Thanks for the fix.TomPS. I hope the inclusion of a training copter means that we will see some helicopter flight training in FS10.

Guest ptwaugh

Hey guys,While this "fixes" it in the sense that it works... it is really a beacon, not a strobe.Being a purist, I went ahead and corrected the .xml and .bmp's to correct it instead. To use my fix, simple replace your Robinson_R22.cab with mine. However, I'm sure AVSIM wouldn't appreciate me posting Microsoft's work, so you'll have to email me at ptwaugh@earthlink.net if you want it.Cheers

The real-world R22 does not have a beacon light, only a strobe, so the aircraft.cfg light fix in the first post is the correct one to use, but it is only halfway there; you also need to change the light fx entry to fx_strobe, as follows.

:light.3 = 2, -18.90, 0.04, 2.58, fx_strobe

This information was verified by a panel image search, reference to the R22 POH, and internal/external video of the real-world R22 startup procedure. Something a "purist" would have done.

Edited by Kyrelel
Update

1 hour ago, Kyrelel said:

The real-world R22 does not have a beacon light, only a strobe, so the aircraft.cfg light fix in the first post is the correct one to use, but it is only halfway there; you also need to change the light fx entry to fx_strobe, as follows.

:light.3 = 2, -18.90, 0.04, 2.58, fx_strobe

This information was verified by a panel image search, reference to the R22 POH, and internal/external video of the real-world R22 startup procedure. Something a "purist" would have done.

Seriously, you brought up a 13 year old post to reply to someone who’s not even a member any longer?

Please check the posts when replying so you don’t dig up posts from over a decade.

Topic locked.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator