Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

OT: EasyJet landing at Malaga?

This is a result of my ambitions being way ahead of my current FSX skill levels! :( I make DVDs of all our holidays. As well as the obvious photos and video clips these include various maps, Google Earth tours, etc. But I'd now like to start including a 5-10 second clip illustrating landing at the destination airport.Our last holiday was to Malaga, Spain, by EasyJet from London Gatwick. But even if I had an EasyJet plane in my list, the most advanced flying I've done so far is in a Cessna, and even in that I haven't yet made a successful landing in a large field, much less a runway. So, although it's a longshot, I'm hoping someone can point me to a video from which I can extract a section please.One day I hope to be able to do this myself. :( --------------------Edit:As a start, I thought I'd at least have a crack at playing with this myself. Even if I don't attempt a landing, I migght get some good still shots. So I found and downloaded a file fromhttp://flightsim.filefront.com/file/Boeing...101017#Downloadcalled b738eax.zipAfter unzipping, I get a folder called texture.EZY and the following files:54.jpg55.jpg56.jpgaircraft.txtreadmee.txtThe last says:"Textures for the original FsX Boeing 737-800.This file is a freeware not for commercial use.To instal just copy and paste the textures filein your aircraft file.Copy the aircraft txt in your aircraft cfg.Good flight.Francois.Contact:estellereitz@wanadoo.fr"But I'm not clear EXACTLY how to install this without messing up, so would appreciate some detailed help please.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Okay, it's fairly simple to install new paint jobs in FS once you know how. If you look in the folder where the default Boeing 737 is, which will somewhere like be this..C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800You'll see a number of files and folders. The folders named Texture.1, Texture.2, Texture.3, Texture.4, Texture.5 and Texture.6 are where all the different paint jobs for the 737 live, with each folder being a different livery. So what you will need to do, is right click on one of those, choose 'copy' and then click off it and hit Control+V to paste it, which will give you a new folder called something like 'Copy of texture.1'. Now having done that, open up the text in the main 737 folder called 'aircraft' (you can open it with Notepad on a PC by right clicking on and choosing to do that).When it opens, you will see a big long text file, and at the top, you will see this:[fltsim.0]title=Boeing 737-800 Paint1sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=1kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Watc_airline=Boeingatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Boeing livery"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."[fltsim.1]title=Boeing 737-800 Paint2sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=2kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Xatc_airline=World Travelatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="World Travel Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."[fltsim.2]title=Boeing 737-800 Paint4sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=4kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Tatc_airline=Orbitatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Orbit Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."[fltsim.3]title=Boeing 737-800 Paint5sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=5kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Tatc_airline=Pacificaatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Pacifica Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."[fltsim.4]title=Boeing 737-800 Paint6sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=6kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Tatc_airline=atc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Unmarked Airliner"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."[fltsim.5]title=Boeing 737-800sim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=texture=kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Zatc_airline=atc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="White"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."Each one of those sections which start with a [fltsim.XX] header, is related to the different paint jobs that come with the default 737, so you will need to add an extra section below all those, to tell FSX that there is another paint job available in a new folder. That text is probably what the 'aircraft txt' file is, that was part of your Easyjet download, and so you should just be able to open that up, copy the relevant bit and then paste it into your original aircraft text file in FS below the ones that are already there. That then tells FS where to find the folder that has your Easyjet paint job, so what you will then probably have to do, is put the textures that were in your download into that duplicate texture folder you created, and then rename that folder so that it corresponds with the name listed in the bit of text you got, at the part where it says this kind of thing:texture=Easyjet (or whatever it is called)So all you should need to then do, is rename that 'Copy of texture.1' folder to 'Easyjet' or whatever, and FS will then know to look in that folder for the files that contain that paint job which you have placed in it. Note that you do sometimes have to change the bit in the aircraft file where it says [fltsim.XX] to the next consecutive number in a list if that has not been already done for you in the text file that was part of your download.So, here is what you will do as a quick recap. Duplicate a 737 texture folder, put the downloaded textures in that folder (they will overwrite the ones in there), open up the aircraft config text file and add an additional paint job reference text section and ensure it points to the correct folder for that paint job. That's it, but note that it is not a bad idea to make a copy of your aircraft config file and put it somewhere safe before you mess with anything in this fashion, that way if anything goes amiss, you can sort things out easily.If you get stuck, post again in this thread.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Excellent, thanks a lot Al, I'll study that more carefully tonight and have a crack at it.Meanwhile, if anyone has any EasyJet landing they 'made earlier' (or saw online somewhere) I'd still like to know please, as I'd like to get this part of the DVD finished asap.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry,Not sure if this will help but here's a video I took leaving LGW onboard an Easyjet A319 (nice an clear):http://www.youtube.com/user/Sfakman#p/u/3/5dO3rE-WhzEAnd here's one coming back to LGW (not so great but you might be able to use it)http://www.youtube.com/user/Sfakman#p/u/7/k0tzZ7DQddsAnd here's one leaving Venice:http://www.youtube.com/user/Sfakman#p/u/2/LDd1-zBRKgMI'm afraid I can't send the originals but feel free to use my YouTube ones. My channel is here where there are some more vids you might find of use:http://www.youtube.com/Sfakman

Just thought - the YouTube vids wont be that great quality but if you want higher quality versions, you can them here:http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviation_vid...grapher=Georgio+You might have to join and upgrade to download them (to your desktop so you can use them in your video editing software) but I don't think it's much.Anyway, just another option for you!

This is a result of my ambitions being way ahead of my current FSX skill levels! :( I make DVDs of all our holidays. As well as the obvious photos and video clips these include various maps, Google Earth tours, etc. But I'd now like to start including a 5-10 second clip illustrating landing at the destination airport.Our last holiday was to Malaga, Spain, by EasyJet from London Gatwick. But even if I had an EasyJet plane in my list, the most advanced flying I've done so far is in a Cessna, and even in that I haven't yet made a successful landing in a large field, much less a runway. So, although it's a longshot, I'm hoping someone can point me to a video from which I can extract a section please.One day I hope to be able to do this myself. :( --------------------Edit:As a start, I thought I'd at least have a crack at playing with this myself. Even if I don't attempt a landing, I migght get some good still shots. So I found and downloaded a file fromhttp://flightsim.filefront.com/file/Boeing...101017#Downloadcalled b738eax.zipAfter unzipping, I get a folder called texture.EZY and the following files:54.jpg55.jpg56.jpgaircraft.txtreadmee.txtThe last says:"Textures for the original FsX Boeing 737-800.This file is a freeware not for commercial use.To instal just copy and paste the textures filein your aircraft file.Copy the aircraft txt in your aircraft cfg.Good flight.Francois.Contact:estellereitz@wanadoo.fr"But I'm not clear EXACTLY how to install this without messing up, so would appreciate some detailed help please.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Terry -I do the same as you would like to----that is I incorporate FSX video clips at the beginning and sometimes at the end of videos I make of our trips. Gives the movie a sense of going and coming home.I would be happy to make you some clips of departing London Gatwick, in flight cruise and landing at Malaga. Or just landing and departing Malaga etc. I have an Easy Jet paint for the 737 (the same one you are installing now), but don't have an Easy Jet Airbus repaint. Let me know.Bruce

Thanks Sfakman, much appreciated. I've downloaded that YouTube take-off and will see how a short extract from it looks in my video editor. If I use it as part of a 'collage' (so that it occupies only a portion of the screen) the quality should be OK.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry -I do the same as you would like to----that is I incorporate FSX video clips at the beginning and sometimes at the end of videos I make of our trips. Gives the movie a sense of going and coming home.I would be happy to make you some clips of departing London Gatwick, in flight cruise and landing at Malaga. Or just landing and departing Malaga etc. I have an Easy Jet paint for the 737 (the same one you are installing now), but don't have an Easy Jet Airbus repaint. Let me know.
That's extremely kind of you Bruce, but I'd feel bad about putting you to so much trouble.And anyway, I'd completely overlooked the fact that it was an Airbus (Saturday 10th April, 11:05, EZY8605). So that 737 download won't cut the mustard. Not that my limited family audience are likely to notice. I have several 319 JPGs, so I may settle for playing with those over some Gatwick shots in PaintShop Pro! :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK

That's extremely kind of you Bruce, but I'd feel bad about putting you to so much trouble.And anyway, I'd completely overlooked the fact that it was an Airbus (Saturday 10th April, 11:05, EZY8605). So that 737 download won't cut the mustard. Not that my limited family audience are likely to notice. I have several 319 JPGs, so I may settle for playing with those over some Gatwick shots in PaintShop Pro! :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Standby Terry, I just finished an FSX video of an Easy Jet A-319 flight from Gatwick to Malaga! I'm uploading to Vimeo and it will be available in about 45 minutes! I'll add the link soon as it's available!Bruce

Standby Terry, I just finished an FSX video of an Easy Jet A-319 flight from Gatwick to Malaga! I'm uploading to Vimeo and it will be available in about 45 minutes! I'll add the link soon as it's available!Bruce
Okay, Terry--- Here ya go! http://www.vimeo.com/12469842Hope you can use it!Bruce

What a star! Brilliant, thanks a lot Bruce.My challenge now is to avoid including all 4

You're very welcome, Terry, the pleasure was literally all mine! I was going to just do a takeoff and landing, but as usual I got carried away.I downloaded this airplane from the AVSIM library some time ago and had it saved in my FSX Addons folder. I can send you the file if you pm me with your e-mail address. It's an FS9 model with the FSX A-321 panel and sounds as I recall. I wondered why there was no tire smoke in the video clip of the landing and attributed it to a perfect landing. Ha! I just now discovered I forgot to put the effects files into the FSX Effects Folder!!! So there were other effects not showing as well.In case you hadn't noticed I also uploaded a video of a Netherlands river cruise out of Amsterdam that we did with friends in 2002. I tied in arrival and departure flights on KLM. You can see it here: http://www.vimeo.com/12462319BrucePS - I recognized East Grinstead immediately! Have been thru there on the train a number of times on the way to Rye or Portsmouth! Love England!!! (also have a video of a trip there a couple years ago with a buddy. Used clips of a BA 747 arriving and departing on that one)
Thanks for the ZIP file by PM Bruce. I'm going to try installing it over the weekend using Chock's instructions.You'd probably had too many beers when you identified East Grinstead - it's at the end of the line! :( Maybe East Croydon?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If you get stuck, post again in this thread.Al
Al,Very pleased to report that I successfully installed the Boeing 737-800 Easyjet variation. Thanks again for the those detailed instructions.Bruce,However, when I then turned to the file you sent me ifdg_a319-111_ezy.zipit seems that I couldn't use Al's installation procedure. Can you step me through it please?The ReadMe instructions seem childishly simple:- Extract the folder contained in the zip archive into your FS Aircraft folder. The aircraft will be located under the manufacturer "iFDG Airbus".- Copy all files in the EFFECTS folder into your Flight Simulator EFFECTS folder.- Go Fly!But for a start I have no "iFDG Airbus" folder, just the "Airbus_A321" folder. So I made a new folderC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\iFDG AirbusIt didn't seem to make sense to copy all the extracted files to that new folder, so I copied all except the file effects.zip.I copied across the effects contents as instructed.Yet no new aircraft shows up in FSX.I then thought maybe I could somehow forcibly use Al's method, but the fileC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\iFDG Airbus\texture.EZYis quite different to the one for the 737, as it contains only BMP images.Any further help you or Al can give me would be greatly welcomed please. I'm sure it will prove to be embarrassingly simple once I've done it ! :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Al,Very pleased to report that I successfully installed the Boeing 737-800 Easyjet variation. Thanks again for the those detailed instructions.Bruce,However, when I then turned to the file you sent me ifdg_a319-111_ezy.zipit seems that I couldn't use Al's installation procedure. Can you step me through it please?The ReadMe instructions seem childishly simple:- Extract the folder contained in the zip archive into your FS Aircraft folder. The aircraft will be located under the manufacturer "iFDG Airbus".- Copy all files in the EFFECTS folder into your Flight Simulator EFFECTS folder.- Go Fly!But for a start I have no "iFDG Airbus" folder, just the "Airbus_A321" folder. So I made a new folderC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\iFDG AirbusIt didn't seem to make sense to copy all the extracted files to that new folder, so I copied all except the file effects.zip.I copied across the effects contents as instructed.Yet no new aircraft shows up in FSX.I then thought maybe I could somehow forcibly use Al's method, but the fileC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\iFDG Airbus\texture.EZYis quite different to the one for the 737, as it contains only BMP images.Any further help you or Al can give me would be greatly welcomed please. I'm sure it will prove to be embarrassingly simple once I've done it ! :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Terry -Go back to square one! Undo everything you have done since you unzipped the file I sent.1.) When you first unzipped the file I sent you, you saw a single folder called ifdg a319-111 ezy.2.) When you click on that folder you get another folder called IFDG A319-111 EZY plus 3 note pad files (Read Me, AVSIM and file ID). Copy that SECOND IFDG A319-111 EZY folder in it's entirety to the FSX/sim objects/airplanes folder. That's all you need to do for the airplane to show up in the FSX selection menu.3.) To add the effects. Open the *Effects* zip file that is in the second folder and highlight and copy all the files to the FSX/Effects folder. It is that simple.BrucePS - Yes, you are absolutely right about the train going thru East Croydon (or changing trains there for Rye)!! The reason I recognized East Grinstead was because I stayed at the Gravetye Manor a couple times and took the train to East Grinstead to get there!!