Sign in to follow this  
gorlosky

What version of XML ?

I've searched around but not found a good answer yet. I'm not sure I'm asking the question correctly, but here goes...What version of XML is used primarily in FSX ?Is it a proprietary version ?Is there a tutorial or reference to the programming language particular to FSX ?Thanks PS: I tried this from the pinned FAQ but the link says Access Denied1Q Is there any guide for XML gauges?1A Arne Bartels' guide xmlgau01.zip http://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=14095

I've searched around but not found a good answer yet. I'm not sure I'm asking the question correctly, but here goes...What version of XML is used primarily in FSX ?Is it a proprietary version ?Is there a tutorial or reference to the programming language particular to FSX ?Thanks PS: I tried this from the pinned FAQ but the link says Access Denied1Q Is there any guide for XML gauges?1A Arne Bartels' guide xmlgau01.zip http://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=14095
I got the same access denied!The SDK gives the variables and key/mouse events and basic tutorial examples.I don't know about "versions". I use XML Notepad 2007, but I believe any text editor that can save in UTF-8 format will work...Hope this helps...Don

Thanks, but I guess I'm looking for the programming understanding and all the exceptions and nuances, etc.Here is a good example:What is the diffference between(A:prop0_still) !and(A:prop0_still)That kind of stuff.

Thanks, but I guess I'm looking for the programming understanding and all the exceptions and nuances, etc.Here is a good example:What is the diffference between(A:prop0_still) !and(A:prop0_still)That kind of stuff.
The SDK has an entire list of operators and the syntax used.In your example the "!" is basically "not" and is only true (1) if the prop is not still.The mathematics are arranged in a form of "Reverse Polish Notation"ie; (A:Indicated Altitude, feet) 100 < , is only true (1) when the altitude is less than 100ft(A:Indicated Altitude, feet) 1000 / is altitude divided by 1000IMO the SDK could be better at explaining the usage, and it references some variables that don't work. I'd suggest reading the SDK first to get the jist of it, then start reading posts others have made to see how it can be used. Thats pretty much how I learned the basics...Don

Thanks - here I was thinking it was some proprietary XML that was used in FSX, but clearly just the basic xml.BUT where does that reverse notation come from ? That isn't standard, like when querying databases the operand is first, not last. I guess learning Postfix and Infix are the key... :(

Thanks - here I was thinking it was some proprietary XML that was used in FSX, but clearly just the basic xml.BUT where does that reverse notation come from ? That isn't standard, like when querying databases the operand is first, not last. I guess learning Postfix and Infix are the key... :(
The XML schema used in many FSX applications is quite different than the schema used in FS9. Much, MUCH differentand, IMO, overly complicated and verbose.If you are writing XML gauge code I would suggest staying with the FS9 XML schema as it is much easierto comprehend and will work just fine in FSX. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

From what I could find, the reverse polish notation was originally developed for early calculators. Something about moving results from the top of the "stack", but I am not sure with the reasoning...Don

I agree about avoiding FSX style xml too ;) I use FS9 style.I think it really helps to think of XML as simply a formatting standard.All the "commands" you put into that XML come from MS

Hi Glenn :( ,Yes, understanding how Postfix notation (or ReversePolishNotation c.q. a stack-operating language) works, is a key to understanding how XML works in FS.Don't know why Arne's xmlgau01.zip document is blocked for download, but I can mail it to you if you want.For me, it was how I learned understanding coding in XML many years ago ....ALthough the "official" syntax changed from FS2K2/FS9 to FSX (why ??), most of the FS9 syntax still works perfectly in FSX.With a few exceptions:- (discovered by Bill): in some cases, case-sensitivity seems to be an issue (in FS2K2/FS9, there was no difference between capitals or not).- some other minor stuff (I have a few examples of code that works fine in FS9 but not in FSX). But that might be caused because FS9 is more tolerant to "coding-errors" than FSX.Most designers seem to stick to the FS9 syntax, simply because they are used to it (like me).Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Infix2Postfix.exe (from fsx SDK) is a great way to learn RPN...So is Yoda - I guess :(

Don't know why Arne's xmlgau01.zip document is blocked for download, but I can mail it to you if you want.
Please do - thanks

PS: I tried this from the pinned FAQ but the link says Access Denied1Q Is there any guide for XML gauges?
I think this is the file in question -Name: xmlgau01.zip Size: 46,558 Date: 03-25-2002 Downloads: 2,478 FS2002 XML Gauge Syntax Description. A collection of facts about the new gauges syntax in XML introduced with FS2002. Not a tutorial but meant as help for interested developers. By Arne Bartels.That is from Flightsim - it is one of the "lost" files here at Avsim.Hope that info is useful.

Thanks OPA, I was just about to open a new thread to discover what happened to the link! ...Don