Sign in to follow this  
steve_1979

DRM gone mad?

The UK government have recently passed the 'Digital Economy Bill' which will come into effect in a year from now. This bill has been rushed through without proper debate and is a quick and easy way to crack down on illegal downloaders. This gives them the right to automatically shutdown any websites that contain the slightest amount of illegal content or even a link (which can be posted by anyone) to illegal content. The bill will allow them to do this without warning! Is there any chance that this could affect AVSIM even though you're not UK based?

This gives them the right to automatically shutdown any websites that contain the slightest amount of illegal content or even a link (which can be posted by anyone) to illegal content. The bill will allow them to do this without warning!
Pure scaremongering. The Act does no such thing. You should have read and understood Section 17 of the Act before posting such misleading information.http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2010/ukpga..._en_3#pb2-l1g17

Is there any chance that this could affect AVSIM even though you're not UK based?
Let's start at the beginning... We have no illegal content, so I am pretty confident that the UK would not have any interest in AVSIM. So, on that score they could not pursue us. Secondly, we are a U.S. based site. A UK law against illegal content, has minimal enforceability in the U.S. If the UK government wished to pursue AVSIM, they would spend an enormous amount of UK taxpayers money, without a lot to show for it at the end of the day. I suspect that this law has been enacted to enable the UK authorities to go after the known, blatant, UK sites that do traffic in illegal content.

TomYou are exactly right. The regulations, if and when they are brought into force, would enable a UK court after due process to to issue a banning injunction preventing UK ISPs from providing acess to other sites which "from which a substantial amount of material has been, is being or is likely to be obtained in infringement of copyright". It is aimed at preventing access in the UK to notorious pirate sites wherever they are located.

Guest georgemacasoi
The UK government have recently passed the 'Digital Economy Bill' which will come into effect in a year from now. This bill has been rushed through without proper debate and is a quick and easy way to crack down on illegal downloaders. This gives them the right to automatically shutdown any websites that contain the slightest amount of illegal content or even a link (which can be posted by anyone) to illegal content. The bill will allow them to do this without warning! Is there any chance that this could affect AVSIM even though you're not UK based?
Gimme a break with illegal content download, piratebay is still running for ###### sake

I seriously doubt there is anything here illegal. The admins tend to do their best to keep things that are illegal out.Also, mgh, nice catch, it's nice to know someone read the legislation. I'm more shocked about how few pages they wrote in the process. A lot of legislation in the US is hundreds of pages long.

I seriously doubt there is anything here illegal. The admins tend to do their best to keep things that are illegal out.Also, mgh, nice catch, it's nice to know someone read the legislation. I'm more shocked about how few pages they wrote in the process. A lot of legislation in the US is hundreds of pages long.
It just wouldn't affectAVSIM - key word is substantial.

It just wouldn't affectAVSIM - key word is substantial.
But you do have to admire anything that cracks down on illegal downloads. Flight sim is not a big money gaming/film/music industry and to see developers work being pirated will only kill the future developments for all flight simmers. I am fully in favour of chopping their goolies off! I hope all members of Avsim agree.