Sign in to follow this  
Steve1969

Contollers and Multi Crew Experience

Hi,I have used RC4 for a couple of years now and I really like it. I have recently implemented Multi Crew Experience which amongst other things allows me to "talk" to ATC/RC4 and it works really well.However, 2 things are now standing out as issues with RC4:1) When being passed onto other controllers along my flight plan, RC4 does not allow sufficient time to tune my radio and then speak to my controller before the other controller is harassing me to make contact. Unfortunately with voice recognition you do have to speak rather slowly and clearly and I guess the timeout is designed for a key press and not actually speaking. Can the timeout be increased for this as its really spoiling the immersion/realisim?2) Having tuned to the next controllers frequency, the original controller then contacts me to harass me to contact the next controller. This is clearly a bug since I've changed my radio frequency, he shouldn't be able to harass me!I would really appreciate these issues being sorted out if possible.Many thanksSteve

Stephen Munn

Hi,I have used RC4 for a couple of years now and I really like it. I have recently implemented Multi Crew Experience which amongst other things allows me to "talk" to ATC/RC4 and it works really well.However, 2 things are now standing out as issues with RC4:1) When being passed onto other controllers along my flight plan, RC4 does not allow sufficient time to tune my radio and then speak to my controller before the other controller is harassing me to make contact. Unfortunately with voice recognition you do have to speak rather slowly and clearly and I guess the timeout is designed for a key press and not actually speaking. Can the timeout be increased for this as its really spoiling the immersion/realisim?2) Having tuned to the next controllers frequency, the original controller then contacts me to harass me to contact the next controller. This is clearly a bug since I've changed my radio frequency, he shouldn't be able to harass me!I would really appreciate these issues being sorted out if possible.Many thanksSteve
1) did the problem start after you started using MCE? were you able to change controllers without harrasment prior to MCE? are you running at 1x? do you have pilot autoreply turned on? autotune on contact?2) of course, but someone has to remind you. and if you weren't tuned to the correct frequency (new or old), i have to remind the wayward pilot what frequency to tune to. in v5, there will be a new lost communications routine.

1) did the problem start after you started using MCE? were you able to change controllers without harrasment prior to MCE? are you running at 1x? do you have pilot autoreply turned on? autotune on contact?2) of course, but someone has to remind you. and if you weren't tuned to the correct frequency (new or old), i have to remind the wayward pilot what frequency to tune to. in v5, there will be a new lost communications routine.
1) Yes, because - I would sometimes hand over comms to Otto - pressing a keyboard number is alot quicker than speaking to atcI am running at 1x speed, auto reply is not on, neither is autotune.2) OK i guess, is there no way this can be turned off in v4? How long for v5?

Stephen Munn

I simulate me talking to ATC by turning off pilot responses, speaking as if I were speaking to real ATC, and tuning the radios myself, and I have come across this quite often.There was a post a ways back where I recommended a sort of talk button, in which if I hold it down and speak, it will let RC know that I am "speaking" to it. Granted I will still have to press the correct response button on my keyboard, but this button will prevent another plane from talking on the comms, and give me a little more time in responding and maybe help in this sort of situation.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

JD,This youtube video shows the problem. Watch it from 4 minutes 45 seconds in and you will see the problem. I think I get nagged quicker than on this video though:http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=N_CL7XPTWN8&feature=relatedDid anything positive come out from this post/investigation:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=287334ThanksSteve

Stephen Munn

I'm gonna jump in here again, and agree with the "spirit" of what this chap is saying as I find that this is a problem across the RC spectrum: there are not enough pauses of enough duration, to allow the user to respond.It also happens ALL the time, once passed to Approach - no time to ask for an IAP before vectors are spewed forth - AND I also find a lot of times, that once I'm told to decend, I'm given 1 minute or thereabouts, to lose 4000 ft ! Seriously, at times I'm barely given time to dial in the new altitude before I'm being hastled. The only workaround sometimes is to set the tolerances at like: 10,000 ft - which of course is ridiculous.I think you could do with slowing everything right down... everything. I particularly empathise with the use of voice activated cockpits and stuff like FS2Crew. You really aren't given enough time to respond in a many situations.

On those instructions requiring an ACK, make and activate your aircraft changes before responding with your ack. That will hold off momentarily RC looking for the change.